Zap!! I just shocked myself

AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

New Member
#1
Well, I'm reading about fans in a Biga$$ overclocking case, which I have & I'm deaming up a new fan arrangement.

Open up the case & unplug a dual 3 pin spilter, rearrange my fan & reach for the wire:

Sh*t!! It touched the case & zap - computers gone.

Had to wait 60 seconds for PSU to reset then rebooted, AFTER reattaching the fan header. Everythins hunky dory. Damn, am I lucky.

Am I the only st00pid sh*t here? (Don't answer that).

------------------
Scott
 
P

Philly

New Member
#2
we had a guy working with us that pulled apart a computer without unplugging it and somehow or another (wasn't there to witness the carnage) shocked himself, blew up the computer (doubt it ever worked again) and blew the circuit breaker............we call him 'sparky'

i always unplug my comp before workin on it

------------------
computers dont have speed limits - NOT ANYMORE
 
D

dimme

New Member
#3
It has happend to me twice or three times, don't remember exactly. My computer was on while I was aranging the fan cables and suddenly the whole computer shut down. Fortunately the same thing that happend to "sparky" didn't happend to me. I love this Enlight power supply.
 
AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

New Member
#4
Yes,

I think my Antec P303 saved my computers life...Wait, if my computer died, I would have killed myself - or not.

At least I don't have to change my online name to sparky. I'm thinking dumba$$ maybe, but then that would be for more than just shorting my computer out, wouldn't it? (thinking to self)

------------------
Scott
 
D

daveg

New Member
#5
I did the same thing as you did about 6months ago :0

Didn't shock myself but the thing powered itself down and wouldn't start up again. After an hour or so of trying to get it to work I gave up thinking I had fried all my components. Then Gasman suggested I reset CMOS and it all worked fine after that. I've been very carful every since that.
 
D

dimme

New Member
#6
I think Einsteins quote fits well in this thread:

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

------------------
Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.
 
S

Sampoerna

New Member
#7
I use an anti-static wrist strap to keep myself grounded. I've got long hair and I'm really prone to static electricity -- plus, our computer room is carpeted. I haven't fried a part yet.

From what I've read, a shock that one can't even see is enough to fry components.

You can get those wrist straps at Radio Shack. They're not only functional, but also sexy.





------------------
-- Sampœrna
 
AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

New Member
#8
I use an anti-static mat on the floor in the room where I do my f***ing around.

I should have been more careful with the exposed 3 pin male fan connector.

It was a careless mistake - one I won't soon forget the lesson.

------------------
Scott
 
G

gunk

New Member
#9
Why unplug it?
Just turn it off at the switch, that way the power is turned off but the comp's grounded.

BTW those antistatic wrist straps are cool-i got one after frying a vid card after going on the trampoline.
 
M

Mosherup

New Member
#10
I was brought a machine 2 weeks ago that had a malfunctioning power switch. I plugged it in and sure enough, it would take some wiggling and pressing before the PS would start up and the computer would hummm. So, I dismantled the case to get to the switch, and used a insulated pair of needle nose pliers to remove the 4 ATX power wires from the bad switch. The whole time I totally forgot to unplug the PS from the wall. I replaced the switch and went to plug the wires back in without the pliers when I got zapped! Scared the ever-lovin' out of me. Hurt like hell too- especially my thumb where the charge went in. Either it wasn't enough to kill me, I let go in time, or the good lord didn't want me yet. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything at all.

Visit the "Computers" section of my humble website:
www.techcomm.net/~mosherup/index.html
 
AUDSCOTT

AUDSCOTT

New Member
#11
Baby!!

I guess a bunch of us have some stories relating to "shocking" events.

------------------
Scott