You bought a #$%*** Chromebook?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I did, a refurb from NE, for one specific purpose. I've been taking old Thinkpads to work, originally compact X-31's, but after killing two of those, much heavier T-40 or T-41's. All have been old enough to need to be used on AC. I'll still use one when I need to do crew bill estimates on Excel as crew chief, but the Chromebook will be just for browsing. The advantages: light weight, right size 11.6" screen, instant boot, and long battery life. Its an Acer C710 2856. I'll need to make a hard physical protector for it in my overstuffed backpack.

A cursory search for browser extensions or utilities turned up virtually nothing but Adblock, a Flash blocker, a system info utility, and the OS restore. I'm guessing part of this is newness and small market share, but more might be that the technically proficient aren't interested in such a kneecapped device (unless you can install Debian.)

Anyone have any experience, thoughts or suggestions?

Shinma

Shinma

Due to the fact it isn't an open source OS, I don't think there will be much volunteer development for it.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Like Android, Chrome OS is apparently based on linux, and I assume that like Android, parts of it are closed source. I read that this Acer has a second ram slot. so it could get a memory boost, and perhaps a bigger SSD. Out of the box this chromebook is using 1.7G of its 2G ram. If it survives I might eventually put a lightweigt linux on it, but for now I'm going to use it as is and learn. It may even be useful at home as an instant boot device for a quick internet check -- what I assume most people use a tablet for.

HoraceARyans

HoraceARyans

chromebook cannot do much since almost everything you do online is an simplified version of the standard version, so there are always limitation. chromebook to me is a tablet with a trackpad and an attached keyboard. i say simple and easy way to get all its pros and to make it more helpfull, a macbook would be the one

C

cliffsthern78

chromebook cannot do much since almost everything you do online is an simplified version of the standard version, so there are always limitation. chromebook to me is a tablet with a trackpad and an attached keyboard. i say simple and easy way to get all its pros and to make it more helpfull, a macbook would be the one
I think it depends on who will use it. Some people who really do some very light work would choose chromebooks because they are cheaper and easier to carry around. Just my thoughts.

Associates