Y2K patch for WIN98

• Thread starter Michael Johnston
  • Start date
M

Michael Johnston

My CMOS is y2k compliant but I understand I need an update patch for win98. Microsoft's site won't allow me to download it. Maybe they want to sell it on a CD. Can anyone send me the update as a compressed file attachment? Let me know if you have it first. Thanks.

A

You're running WIN98 but can't download the patch? Are you running the update wizard? If not, do that. MS is not charging for the patch..

M

Michael Johnston

How do I use the update wizard? I was told WIN98 is already y2k complient. But someone told me the same 2 files in WIN95 that need updating, winfile & command.com, need updating in 98. I didn't think 98 or 95 needed command.com, and what is winfile?

A

Alan_S

Question 1: My system has the Update Wizard on top of the start bar. Do a file search on "Update" and see what it comes up with. Or go to MS online support, making sure you choose W98 as the OS. The site will read your set-up and offer you a choice of what patches you can download.

Question 2: ?

Question 3: Since W98/95 is just a fancy version of W3.1, they all still need the command.com file.

Associates