XP machine can't find network computers

L

lmfbr

I have 3 computers connected by wire to a Linksys router:
Win7 Home Premium -- XP Pro SP3 -- Ubuntu.

It would be nice if each of the 3 could find the other two, but only the Ubuntu machine can do this and it can't be found at all. My Win7 machine can find the XP machine, but not vice versa; neither of then can find the Ubuntu machine, which doesn't bother me. The XP machine used to be able to find the Win7 machine, but now it only finds itself. The problem may have been triggered by the only change I made: I added a HD to the Win7 machine and moved a HD from it to the XP machine. The drive I moved was not a boot drive; it contained only data. My question is how to find and repair the ability of the XP machine to find the Win7 machine? I re-ran the network setup wizard on XP and installed a "fix" from MS that is supposed to install LLTD protocol. Neither helped. Any suggestions?

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, so I apologise if the options available to you are different.

What I did to make shares available from Windows 7 (Ultimate) to Windows XP Pro SP3, was:
  • Right click on the folder or drive I wanted to share.
  • Select an option from the "Share with" menu. I used "Homegroup (read)" to test with.
  • From the Windows XP system I enter the host name (or IP address) of the Windows 7 system and then enter a valid username/password for the account that exists on the Windows 7 system.

This worked. If it doesn't, make sure there isn't a 3rd party firewall on the Windows 7 system getting in the way.

L

lmfbr

Bink, thanks for the suggestions. I will look at my setup and see if I can apply them. I have apparently done something that has changed one or the other system, since I was previously able to find the Win7 machine with the XP machine.

Associates