XP install fails, corrupt acpi.sys

I

icemann

Hello. My first time logging on, and am Quite impressed with the knowledge floating through here. I offer this challenging problem:

My Problem: Installing XP on a new system.

I have a consistent problem when trying to install XP Pro on a new system. During the initial system load (Blue Screen), setup fails saying the file acpi.sys is corrupt. This happens with two different copies of XP, from two different sources. Can install 2000 Server, trying 2000 Pro and Win 98 tonight.

I have cleared the CMOS, flashed the bios, tried two different CD-ROMs, tried different cables, enabled PNP in the bios, ran an extensive diag test on the HDD, loaded XP with a non-ACPI HAL (F7), and tried loading my own HAL (F5), but couldn't find a driver to use.

The system:

Soyo Dragon KT333 Ultra Platinum
Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB PC2700 DDR Samsung
Leadtek GF4 4600 Ti 128
80 GB West Dig WD800JB
Plextor CDR/RW 40x12x40
ThermalTake Volcano 7 CPU Fan
ThermalTake Hardcano 3 CPU Temperature LED
ChiefTec Case, 400W Foxconn (Deer) AMD approved PS

I have found various traces of this problem on the web, but nothing concrete as far as a solution.

Would appreciate any insight, I'm at a loss here, and don't feel like having to ship back parts.

B

B4TMANN

My guess is a Power Supply or Motherboard...

I think that is about the only things that it could be for ACPI.

Hmmm.......

:D

Prowler351

Prowler351

try getting ahold of a windows 98 boot disk and use it to format your h\d just before you install xp.while not precisely your problem,i had a very similar problem and that is what fixed it

Shinma

Shinma

HDD in question attached to one of the IDE connectors and not one of those controlled by the RAID chip during installation?

I

icemann

Conclusion...

BAD MEMORY!!! UGHHH!!!!!

Stuck in a new stick, all problems gone. DAMN cursed non-ECC DRAM

Nutrend.com = pain in arse.

:eek:

Shinma

Shinma

Glad that you found the source of the problem.
It is not unusual for memory module(s) to cause such problems.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
NOTE: This thread is SIXTEEN YEARS OLD.

And as you can see - the problem was resolved 16 years ago:eek:

Associates