WOW!!!!!!! Nice Updates on the Front Page and Forums.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#1
The front page and the forums are looking very nice indeed. :D
 
T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
#2
Yup... I noticed that as el and really like the new frontpage. This is the second major change in years and it does look great. :)
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#3
Toolbox said:
Yup... I noticed that as el and really like the new frontpage. This is the second major change in years and it does look great. :)

Yeah it looks awesome!!!!!! :D
 
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
#4
Thanks! It's nothing special, just the result of six months' labor by our design and programming teams, with me looking over shoulders and making impossible requests daily ... now that it's live, everybody please e-mail me immediately if you find any broken links, 404s, or dead ends. (And yes, the right-side ad box in the forums is pretty big ... it's the virtually-sold-out demand for advertising on HWC thanks to increased traffic, including your hard work and welcoming spirit in the forums, that made the suits sign off on the redesign I've been whining for since, oh, the spring of '01.)

Thanks and cheers to all,
Eric
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#5
egrevstad said:
including your hard work and welcoming spirit in the forums, that made the suits sign off on the redesign I've been whining for since, oh, the spring of '01.)

Thanks and cheers to all,
Eric

Took that long!!!!!

The wait was well worth it. :)
 
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
#6
Actually I shouldn't blame the execs -- as you know, after 9/11/01 tech ad spending plummeted and our budget froze for a couple of years, and since the market's come back we've been busy launching new sites and channels, remodeling the forums, and doing other redesigns (check out the new and improved SysOpt.com and PDAStreet.com). But I've been looking forward to this facelift for quite a while, although I'm grumpy because my little product-review icons from now on have shrunk from 120x80 to 90x75. <g>

Eric
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#7
egrevstad said:
Actually I shouldn't blame the execs -- as you know, after 9/11/01 tech ad spending plummeted and our budget froze for a couple of years, and since the market's come back we've been busy launching new sites and channels, remodeling the forums, and doing other redesigns (check out the new and improved SysOpt.com and PDAStreet.com). But I've been looking forward to this facelift for quite a while, although I'm grumpy because my little product-review icons from now on have shrunk from 120x80 to 90x75. <g>

Eric

Yes I guess that would be a problem, a lot of things happened back in 2001 to slow things down, the big flame war here that caused the OT forum to be shut down along with the 9/11 caused a lot of problems.

Why did they make you Icons smaller?

They should have been bigger IMO.
 
MuFu

MuFu

Moderator
#8
Excellent work - I like the thread links at the bottom. :)

Looks great overall, but there's a slight colour mismatch between the background (FFFFCC) and the main logo (~FDFACF). Sticks out like a sore thumb, IMHO.
 
MuFu

MuFu

Moderator
#9
egrevstad said:
And yes, the right-side ad box in the forums is pretty big ... it's the virtually-sold-out demand for advertising on HWC thanks to increased traffic, including your hard work and welcoming spirit in the forums, that made the suits sign off on the redesign I've been whining for since, oh, the spring of '01.
Fantastic. Hopefully things will continue to pick up.
 
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
#10
>>Why did they make your icons smaller?

The Art Dept. voted for slightly smaller icons (and also advised me which background colors to use with the new design, since I'm color-blind) -- the big advantage is that now icons can appear next to Reviews blurbs on the front page as well as the Reviews page. Expect to see my smiling face on editorials in the future. <g>
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#11
egrevstad said:
>>Why did they make your icons smaller?

The Art Dept. voted for slightly smaller icons (and also advised me which background colors to use with the new design, since I'm color-blind) -- the big advantage is that now icons can appear next to Reviews blurbs on the front page as well as the Reviews page. Expect to see my smiling face on editorials in the future. <g>

Oh Ok, looks like there would be more room for thge Icons then. :)
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#12
MuFu said:
Excellent work - I like the thread links at the bottom. :)

Looks great overall, but there's a slight colour mismatch between the background (FFFFCC) and the main logo (~FDFACF). Sticks out like a sore thumb, IMHO.

Looks like they wanted to Highlight it, but not too much.
 
jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
#14
One thing I noticed on SysOpt was the Side Banners are much narrower than we have here.

Just something I noticed.


Never mind, I just went back and checked again, looks like they finished updating it and they are the same size as ours now.
 
Da_man

Da_man

Dementia Patient
#16
Omg The New Layout It Ugly

OMG NEW LAYOUT IS UGLY!!

i hope they dont keep it.. its disgusting

Edit by MuFu - post merged into this thread. Ta.
 
krupted

krupted

New Member
#17
egrevstad said:
it's the virtually-sold-out demand for advertising on HWC thanks to increased traffic
what type of "proof" are you showing these advertising companies on hwc's traffic? i would like to scam them in a similar matter, they obviously dont have a clue as of lately!;)
 
Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
#18
MuFu said:
Excellent work - I like the thread links at the bottom. :)

Looks great overall, but there's a slight colour mismatch between the background (FFFFCC) and the main logo (~FDFACF). Sticks out like a sore thumb, IMHO.
Agreed. It's almost perfect on the forum (FFFFCC vs FFFFCD), but on the main site it looks bad.
 
M

Martin_89

Active Member
#20
im liking the new logo up the top, looks a lot more modern than the old one, great work guys
 

Associates