Worst luck on an Athlon

S

SkrUboL

I just picked up a week 51 500 today, and it's only a 600 core... Damnit! Well, I guess I'll see what I can get out of it....

------------------
MoooOooOoo damnit!!
-SkrUboL
www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

P

Paragon

i got my months ago and it was a week 40 600 w3.3 ns cache and it'll do 750 all day.. Planning on going to 800 one day..

but the worst luck would be you

break it in half trying to get the damn casin off..

overheat the pcb when soldering and raise a few traces..

spill a shaker full of salt on the core....

Give it a bath with that nice water cooler you just installed...

Just a few "pick me ups"

S

SkrUboL

True... I guess my luck is far from the worst... In this house I think more likely the path to its destruction would be someone driven crazy by the holidays deciding to stomp on it... (or maybe when I make my OCing card +5v will get sent directly into the core... that would definitely be bad)

------------------
MoooOooOoo damnit!!
-SkrUboL

F

Flamin Joe

Bad luck??? You got an Athlon 600 for the price of an Athlon 500. You should be happy. As for me my Athlon 500 is an Athlon 500.

R

Rich

Hey fellas,

Anyone know where I can get an Athlon
500 with a 650 core??? I am trying to decide
between getting a 500 and overclock to 650.. or get a 750 and overclock to what it will let me.

Thanks
Rich H.

P

Paragon

3.6ns isnt that bad.. it just means that you will need very good cooling if you up the voltage enough to make it to 700+(@1.8-1.85) i have seen a 500 with a 500 core and 4ns cache make it to 850+ 1/2 @1.9v with a good peltier setup and water cooling. It's a game of tug of war.. I am running an athlon 500 w 600 core and 3.3 ns cache @ 750 1/2 @ 1.8v that easily goes well beyond the "rating" of the cache. the higher voltage will increase your likelyhood but there is a limit.... with 3.6ns cache i would not expect to go higher than 1.85v and 750 mhz aircooled...however with good cooling ( keep it below 100f ) you should be able to hit 750 1/2...

M

Machupo

you could always go with the 2/5 cache divider...

------------------
Damn, OCing is taking over my life... I ordered an Iced Athy Latte at Starbucks the other day!!!

S

SkrUboL

I don't think they make the 500's in .18 micron. I think it's only the 750's. Also I don't think there's a setting for 2/5 cache divider, only 1:1, 1/2, and 1/3.

------------------
MoooOooOoo damnit!!
-SkrUboL

S

SkrUboL

I take that one back. From what I read, the bios tends to automatically scale the cache back to 2/5 when the processor is set past 650. Anyone know anything else on this?

------------------
MoooOooOoo damnit!!
-SkrUboL

H

HARd WiRE

Ok this is going to soud rather stupid to some but where do you find what week/core your proccessor is?
i take it you have to crack the casing ?

S

SkrUboL

the week number is on the outside. it's the last 2 digits on the bottom number. The core speed is on the inside though. Printed on the core itself.

------------------
MooOoo!

F

Flamin Joe

No it's not the last two digits. It's the two digits which come after the "99" which refers to the year 1999 when it was manufactured. On my week 32 it looks like this:

M

Machupo

skru, think you got it bad?

i've got a week 36 500 that turned out to be a 550 w/ 3.6ns core

oh well, better luck next time

------------------
Damn, OCing is taking over my life... I ordered an Iced Athy Latte at Starbucks the other day!!!

S

SkrUboL

U sure? In that case I've got a week 39... Who the hell told me it was the last number?? I've been jipped!

------------------
MooOoo!

S

spark

Hmm....my o/c-ed Althon is a week 37 with 600/3.6ns core. It's running at 700Mhz 1/2 L2 cache at 1.7 Volts. Very stable at about 38 degree celius on average with very good ventilation.

I am thinking if buying that weird looking circular CPU cooling device to bring the temperature down to 34 or 35 degree celius. Will the device do that?

Associates