winxp loses connection after going afk

D

darko21

then when I come back it acquires network address and comes back. any ideas???

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Details help. wired or wireless? Is it a laptop or desktop? Make/model? Is it XP Pro or Home and what SP level? Is standby or hibernate enabled?

D

darko21

Wired through NIC card through college DHCP. Custom made desktop (drivers installed). XP home SP3. I do not believe standby or hibernate is enabled.

It only happens when I leave the computer for awhile.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
It only happens when I leave the computer for awhile.
Sounds your nic is powering down. Go into device manager and look at your NIC power management settings. Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

D

darko21

in power management i get these options- reduce link speed during standby (checked), reduce power if cable disconnected (not checked), wake on directed packet (checked), wake on magic packet (checked), wake on magic packet from power off state (not checked), and wake on link (not checked)

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
you could try unchecking "reduce link speed..."

Did you check your power options in control panel? check your system standby options. try setting it to "never" and see what happens.

D

darko21

standby is set to "never" and i tried unchecking "reduce link speed" and right as I did actually lost connection permanently

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
reduce link speed during standby (checked)
That's the one I meant to uncheck. Unchecking that shouldn't have dropped your connection. Hmm.

Did you try updating your NIC drivers?

D

darko21

no, i cant have it happen because i play videogames and i get disconnected.

i really need a solution

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Then why didn't you post back? Did you update the drivers or not?

Wired through NIC card through college DHCP.
If you did all those things, there isn't much you can do since you don't own the network. You could ask the campus tech support about it.

Associates