WinGate

T

TCrom

I'm looking for software to connect both my computers through a cable modem. Any suggestions?

T

TCarff

Yep, use WinGate or SyGate. I personally use WinGate. Works great. There's a home version that's quite affordable ($40). I have 3 computers networked sharing the same connection. It will work with any type of internet connection (cable, modem, ADL).

T

TCrom

Thanks. I was just wondering what others used. At one point in time I had downloaded a program called WinProxy but hadn't heard any pro's or con's for it. If you're using WinGate, is it fairly easy to set up and does it affect any other NIC in the system?

T

TCarff

WinGate is easy to set up. You install the server version on the computer with the internet connection. Then install the client version on the other computers. WinGate will detect the server version installed on the computer with the internet connection and will automatically know that it needs to install the client version (it's the same exe file). You can start off by just using the default settings. In the server you just have to set up the dialer property to dial your internet connection. ICQ is a little tricky to set up, but I have it running on all three computers fine. I would just download the trial version of WinGate and give it a try. It's also nice since it has a firewall built in to it. Any questions about other settings email me at [email protected]

Associates