Windows 7 install problem

Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
I spent most of yesterday Re-installing then RE-RE-installing Windows 7 on my computer. The reason is the question. At the end of the first re-install, I went into regedit and changed the default installation directory (per this, and after a reboot, I could not run exe files. I could open windows explorer, go to the file, double click on it, and got an error message saying "cannot find whatever.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly" even though it was right there. It would allow some exes to run (explorer), but not others (Task Manager wouldn't run, and I couldn't run regedit to undo it). Anyone have useful info? I'd like to not put every thing on the C drive (reason I was reinstalling), but I'd like to have a working pc. Thanks

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Is there a specific reason why you need to change it in the registry? IMO most programs are well behaved and ask for a location on install :confused:
The procedure you linked mentioned there's a slightly different procedure (as well as more keys for the multiple Program Files folders) in x64 Windows, did you use that method?

On both of my systems (SSD C: for OS/main apps, HDD D: for data/secondary apps), I just create a "Program Files II" folder on my D: and install bulky/less used software there. The only settings I change in Windows are the folder locations for everything under My Documents (music, pictures, videos, etc.) to point to folders on my D: drive. The AppData/user folders stay on the C:, except the aforementioned My Documents stuff.

Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
Most do, but a few don't, some of them update to the default (*cough coughMICROSOFT coughGOOGLE) and my kids don't pay attention. I was doing it that way because, that's the way I thought it had to be done. I did see the reference to editing both registries, and I did.

Associates