Windows 10 says I have a single core processor

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
This is what is says in System Information:
Processor Intel Core i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2594 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
It also says that in my Task Manager Performance tab.

This website says this: http://ark.intel.com/products/50072/Intel-Core-i5-2540M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz
-Performance
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 4

So why is Windows 10 saying that I have one core, two threads?

glussier

glussier

what do you see if you go into msinfo32? If you go in device manager, under processor do you see 2 or 4 lines?

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Yesterday I reverted back to Windows 7 because I was having some issues with Windows 10 being slow, slow to open up certain Control Panel items, slow to start, losing Internet and this description of my processor.
So now I am back to Windows 7 and System Information says this:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Can you believe it? Windows 10 doesn't know my processor. I think I always had 4 processors listed in Device Manage though. Of course the Bios says I have 2 cores as well.

So problem solved it was Windows 10's mistake. Why does Windows 10 not know it's processors?

glussier

glussier

This is a 3rd gen processor, windows 10 should know about it. I installed windows 10 on a core 2 duo, an I5 3rd gen, an I5 4th gen, an i7 4th gen and I5 5th gen, and windows 10 recognized all the processors properly. Were you doing a clean install of windows 10 or an upgrade from windows 7?

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
This was an update not clean install but just weird that it did not recognize it on my Dell Optiplex 7010 and Dell said that this computer was tested with Windows 10. Well we learned something didn't we?

glussier

glussier

I did try installing on an Optiplex, I upgraded a 2014 xps 13, end 2013 Inspiron 15r and Xps 13 2015 and a 2014 Asus gaming laptop. I still have a dual xeon E5 workstation to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to do that just yet.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Ya know you spend all that time putting on Windows 10 and if something doesn't work right the you have wasted all that time, learned something and then when you don't like it you revert back to the previous OS. What a hassle.

This website tells of which Dells have been tested with Windows 10 including laptops as well. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954/en#Optiplex

It doesn't matter though if it doesn't run as well as say Windows 7.

glussier

glussier

If you are happy with windows 7, then there is no problem. Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft.

One thing I forgot to say, is that I installed/updated all my computer via a usb stick (downloaded from Microsoft) and not from the upgrade provided from the windows update app in windows. One thing I did before the upgrade, is image my c: drive, just in case something was going wrong.

Associates