win98 hangs on cold boot

B

bellator

I recently installed an epox ep-58mvp3c-m super7 motherboard and re-installed win98 clean. When I boot from power off, win98 hangs after scanning cd-rom. If I hit reset and choose 1 normal, then it boots fine, if i restart from within windows no problem. any thoughts?

D

d_lagneau

try to change your cd driver.
if it is not better, try to disconnect it, maybe your motherboard has a problem

A

Or, remove the drivers from the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. WIN98 should pick up the drive on it's own.

B

bellator

ok, maybe some more detail, I don"t have anything in my autoexec, or config sys. My cdrom is a creative 1220 E 12 speed piomode 4.
The problem is when windows98 is detecting periferials on boot, the motherboard detects it allright, and it works with real mode drivers from the rescue disk.

Cold boot hangs (power off, then power on), but hot boot (hit resart or resart from win98 shutdown menu) is ok. It is really anoying to have to reset all the time booting twice...
also my cdrom is set as secondary master (2nd IDE)I have not tried to change it to slave with my hard drive yet.....

M

Milkman

I've expirienced the same problem with my AOpen AX59Pro w/ K6-300. '98 hangs, plus the video card (Viper 330) wouldn't work with correct settings. I couldn't solve it so I changed to '95 and then everything worked just fine, so I guess there is something amiss with '98.

M

Milkman

Yesterday I think I found a solution for the problem (at least it helped me). You have to Choose USB=enabled in BIOS before you install '98. Found the tip on VIA:s page. Now the '98 is as stable as you can expect.....

B

bellator

could you please give me the url for via's site? I have tried several solutions, including one that worked with win95 (install cdrom w/autoexec and config.sys) The system hangs worse!!!

B

bellator

Thanx milkman, I have looked and will try, although I am not looking forward to re-installing everything yet again! Oh well, we live and learn!

B

bellator

well, I finally got around to re installing windows clean, this means a format of my boot drive and all!! couple of gig of programs to re-install, and re register win 98 etc. did everything told on via's web site, no change. still won't boot first time cold!!! I also changed my secondary hard drive to master and slaved my cd rom to it. now it hangs, but the cd light does not come on first like before... A couple of things I noticed, one pci steering is in real mode, but I saw a faq on it that indicated this was normal with via and there should be no problem...I think it must be a problem with ide detect, as it seems to hang after detecting the second hard drive (both my hard drives sound different when working....

any thoughts?

R

rcolby

Have you tried taking off all your cables and putting them back on? Also you need to
do the same thing with your RAM chips.
Sounds like a potential memory problem.

Associates