Win XP 32-Bit Memory limitations

K

Kane17

In 32-bit I know there is a limit to the amount of memory (3.25 or 3.5 gb?) that can be addressed but lately I'm a bit confused.

I've read this also affects the System Ram + Graphics memory. I have 2GB system Ram and 1GB Graphics..so no prob if thats true.

BUT, What About CPU cache, Virtual Memory..or anything else. At this point I could probably just leave VM off but i'm just curious.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
CPU Cache is so small that it wouldn't make a difference. The CPU Cache is the fastest in the whole system, so you'd want to leave that on.

I wouldn't disable VM. That would not help the situation; in fact it would probably make it worse.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Shinma

Shinma

Kane17 said:
In 32-bit I know there is a limit to the amount of memory (3.25 or 3.5 gb?) ...
Actual limit would depend on the mobo design.
Some are 3.25 GB, others max out at 3.5 GB.

K

Kane17

CPU Cache is so small that it wouldn't make a difference. The CPU Cache is the fastest in the whole system, so you'd want to leave that on.

I wouldn't disable VM. That would not help the situation; in fact it would probably make it worse.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
Ok..yea tried disabling it just to check. Made things slightly more choppy.
My question is really how to optimize the system to consider the limitation

First, how does the 32-bit memory limit affect VM and cache..
Second, Should I be forcing a fixxed VM amount?

For example, if I have 2 GB system Ram and my system can only utilize max 3.25 then should I set VM usage to 1.25 GB (Or maybe about 1.24 to account for the 640k of cpu cache) to optimize it (stay within the limit).

Shinma said:
Actual limit would depend on the mobo design.
Some are 3.25 GB, others max out at 3.5 GB.
Ok thanks for clarifying.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
First, how does the 32-bit memory limit affect VM and cache..
Second, Should I be forcing a fixxed VM amount?
CPU cache is the first memory the system will look for data. It would not be affected by the 32-bit limit.
Virtual memory is used when you run out of physical memory. It's more that you only have 2GB physical ram vs the 32-bit limit.

I usually let the system control the virtual memory. It doesn't make sense to lock up 1.25GB of memory. You can set a minimum and max if you want.

Associates