Win 7 Explorer file display beahviour

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Need help to make Win 7 uniformly display the way I set it -- show size and not date modified and type. I probably need a registry change because the "set all folders" type of instructions I've tried have not worked. I want all Explorer windows on all drives whether internal partitions or external usb drives to display in this fashion on this computer. Don't care if it still shows date modified and type if size is shown first. Is there a way to do this?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Icons aren't the problem. Googling found one possible answer saying that Windows had a 5000 folder limit in setting behaviour and suggested a registry change that reset that to 10,000. I need to give that a try and see if it changes the inconsistent behaviour.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Will be curious to see how that comes out. I am always for some reason surprised when I find out that Windows has limitations built in where I never would have thought it would. I ran into such an issue with my Outlook locking up and going completely flaky on me, and I found that the reason was my .pst file was close to or was exceeding its max. To me, doing what I was doing was just ordinary usage, but that was not the way Windows saw it...

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Will be curious to see how that comes out. I am always for some reason surprised when I find out that Windows has limitations built in where I never would have thought it would. I ran into such an issue with my Outlook locking up and going completely flaky on me, and I found that the reason was my .pst file was close to or was exceeding its max. To me, doing what I was doing was just ordinary usage, but that was not the way Windows saw it...
We used to have managers at work having .pst files easily in the 10+GB range. Now we have a policy to archive e-mails to an external .pst each new year, and even just sorting mails by size then removing attachments before archiving helps a lot. Quite a few clients' emails ended up under the "Enormous (10MB)" Outlook grouping that way :D

That said, I remember not that far ago messing in the registry in XP to wipe and increase the icon cache because programs started having the wrong icons, or apply a third-party patch so the tray icons in Windows 2000 had more than 256 colors ;)

Last edited:
DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The XP install in this laptop, overdue to be replaced, will get the tray icons mixed up after being on for days or weeks. Click on an icon and something else opens.

Associates