Will DuronClocker successfully turn his Radeon 8500LE into an 8500 VIVO? :-)

Will he do it?

• YES! DuronClocker has a brain the size of a large melon.

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • NO WAY. You're joking, right?!

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
MuFu

MuFu

I was recently able to supply DuronClocker with a partial pinout for the Rage Theater chip found on Radeon 8500s.

Technically, the RT1 ("Ripper") can capture CVBS/SVHS video - the feature just isn't used on 8500s apart from the AIW/VIVO versions.

Theoretically, all you need to do is connect the right pins up for signalling, flash the BIOS to a VIVO-enabled one, install the necessary drivers and cross your fingers. :cool:

No pressure, dude. :D

MuFu.

P.S. Hehehehehee...

Todd a

Todd a

And I thaught you were just making fun of him in his modding and overclocking of his Radeon 8500s. Wow! That would be cool.:cool:

D

DuronClocker

Originally posted by deltree_windows
thats just as easy as the ol' promise ultra66-fastrack66 mod
Not quite. See, the problem I have run into now is with driver support and the proper ASIC. It would be possible for me to hack the drivers, I just haven't looked into it. If the drivers are anything like nVidia drivers, its as simple as re-writing one little file, and all should be well. However, as it stands, the drivers don't think I have VIVO support on the card, so they aren't going to attempt to install any VIVO capabilities (the VIVO WDM package).

Otherwise, it is fairly similar to the FT66 mod.

Wasn't expecting a thread on this just yet, thanks Paul, LOL! :D

Wish me luck!

M

Mulletron

I have to say no! He isnt going to surmount his driver problems and is going to fail and crash burn! LIke he did to all those Athlons and Durons :D

Mulletron

D

DuronClocker

Damn I just won't ever get let alone for my murderings. :D

Don't forget about the Radeon VIVO card I killed last spring :) However, I got the 8500LE as an RMA for it heheeheheh

Already hacked the main drivers (display drivers, Cat 2.2). Not that it really mattered though, because I'm able to force it to load the AIW 8500 drivers in the first place. Now it will just do it by default. Still working on the VIVO WDMs though...

Theoretically its all very possible. But we all know how easily theories can get miffed in the computer industry.. ;)

Todd a

Todd a

Couldn't you slap in a Radeon 8500 All-in-Wonder install the drivers, then take it back to where you got it. Then just slap in your mod'd card and the drivers should still be there right? You might check out the registry settings on someone else's computer and what DLL files are where and manually set up the drivers. The MMC does not actually require any hardware to install. I installed it on my Celeron 900 and Voodoo3. It bitched at me, but still worked fine.

D

DuronClocker

No it doesn't require hardware, but it does require a VIVO WDM to be installed and working properly for the Video In option to be installed as well.

The 8500AIW idea crossed my mind, but I have no cash to play with like that. No capital to spend on it :(

Its just a matter of re-writing a couple files in the VIVO WDMs to accept my ASIC ID I think.. :)