Why XP shows CDA and not WAV files in CD?

P

pablopuente

Could someone explain me how to change XP to show WAV and not CDA files in CD (as WIN98SE used to do)?
Thks!!!!!

krupted

krupted

technically, the files on a cd are .cda

once you rip the cd to your pc using a ripping program like cdex, you will get the wav files. or cdex will also output mp3 and others...

kaulbach

kaulbach

Mostly Harmless
On a music CD you purchased for playing on the stereo, the default format of music files is CDA (sometimes referred to as cdda). If you made a music CD from the computer from some WAV or MP3 files, most CD-burning programs these days will automatically try to convert them to something the stereo can play as well ( CDA usually). If you have CDs you make and you want to specify not to convert the files to some other format before burning them (maybe because you like the default player for those kinds of files, or your standalone DVD player can also do WAV or MP3 files too), try making a Data CD instead of a Music CD when burning them.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Yeah, I remember using the alternate CDFS.vxd to view .cda files as .wav in Win98. It worked perfectly since a CD track is basically a raw PCM stream (exactly like a wave file).

Sadly, .vxd aren't used anymore with 2000/XP so there's no alternative other than ripping software mentionned above.

C

curtislowe

cda and wav files

I just loaded my old burning software onto my new computer and it burns the music as cda not wav files. The cd won't play in my home stereo and sounds scatchy in the car. I did not encounter this problem when this software was used on my older computer.

Shinma

Shinma

I just loaded my old burning software onto my new computer and it burns the music as cda not wav files. The cd won't play in my home stereo and sounds scatchy in the car...
Standard format for audio CD is .cda.

... The cd won't play in my home stereo and sounds scatchy in the car...
If applicable,
Check that the CD burning software finalized the disc being burned.

Associates