Why do people steal cell phones?

S

steven01

Why do people steal cell phones? It seems like I'm hearing about how someone just got their cell phne stolen everyday, but why? As soon as it's stolen the owner just calls up a number and reports it and it's shut off. I think re-actvaing it would be difficult because don't the phone people have a way of the checking the codes in the cell phone to see if it was stolen don't they?

krupted

krupted

many cellphones now, at least cingular and tmo phones, use a sim card for the identification purposes. all you have to do is throw out the sim card and put your own in and you can use the phone. and, recent changes to phone laws now allow any cellphone to be unlock to use on whatever carrier it can so its actually getting a little easier for theives.

its part of the reason why i like blackberries. they are much more secure, they require a password to be entered to use the phone and also for about any other major change you try to do.

wonderinguy34

wonderinguy34

Restless Nocturne
Or it could be due to the decreasing size of new phones ,people are losing them and just saying they were stolen.

krupted

krupted

shouldnt really matter, most policies that i know of catagorize lost/stolen as the same difference...

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
I like reading about the internet vigilante stories when people get them back. Of course if I were to find the person who stole my cell phone (if I owned one), I'd beat him to within an inch of his life. Then I'd post the pics on Photobucket.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
I hate Cellphones.... :mad:

I have one because of my job, being in management I have to have one. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't own one.

I turn my ringer down to one beep and only look at it when I have a Voicemail, I never answer it right off. :p

krupted

krupted

i leave my audible ringer off most of the time too. i have to have a cell for my job too, and it doesnt make much sense to pay for a second line for the house. ill turn on the ringer when im at a bar or home but thats about it. i always shut off the speaker in stores, movies, anything where i wouldnt want to hear someone elses.

whats annoying me more these days are those damn bluetooth headsets. since when did common citizens become so important they cannot ever be disconnected from their cell network? how many times now have i been talking to someone and they suddenly get a blank stare and follow up by saying "yeah man whats up" leaving me hanging and confused when im SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! anymore when i see some dude in an 80's cadillac with quarter rims and a little cute over-the-ear headset on i just laugh. they look retarded.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
whats annoying me more these days are those damn bluetooth headsets. since when did common citizens become so important they cannot ever be disconnected from their cell network? how many times now have i been talking to someone and they suddenly get a blank stare and follow up by saying "yeah man whats up" leaving me hanging and confused when im SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! anymore when i see some dude in an 80's cadillac with quarter rims and a little cute over-the-ear headset on i just laugh. they look retarded.
Oh yeah those freaking $%^%$%#%^^&%%$%^& things... :mad:

Every time I see one I want to jack slap someone.... :p :mad:

krupted

krupted

so its not just me... i guess i could see why people use them in their car, but these people dont ever take them off. how about when youre browing some stuff at best buy, and the guy down the isle just starts talking to himself. you have to look and acknowledge him because you cant tell if hes talking to you or not. then the guy looks at you like YOURE weird. im honestly surprised those things have gained popularity so fast, normally that sort of technology nobody wants to mess with.

Last edited:
ups4

ups4

Besides all that....the idiots look like Lt. Uhura from Star Trek :rolleyes:
Surely these people must not have mirrors in their homes, else they would never go out in public with those things in their ears.

I hope I never get so important that I have to be in touch with the world at all times....geeze.

Paul

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Most of the ones I see with them look like they don't have 2 pennies to rub together so you know they aren't important. ;)

But they seem to have those things, most are fat, can't speak properly, either drunk or on drugs, and when they get to the checkout they pay with foodstamps.

krupted

krupted

jankerson said:
Most of the ones I see with them look like they don't have 2 pennies to rub together so you know they aren't important. ;)

But they seem to have those things, most are fat, can't speak properly, either drunk or on drugs, and when they get to the checkout they pay with foodstamps.
that is horribly stereotypical and basically true. thats why its so weird to me, these people that use them can barely afford a car but they have the best BT headset you can get. I guess they do lose a lot of money if their clients go elsewhere for their fixes...

S

Samazon

I was walking through a terminal in Phoenix, listening to my headphones... and some lady sitting on a bench looks up at me, makes eye contact with me and starts talking. I immediately remove one of my earphones to hear what she has to say (to me). "Excuse me?" i ask. "What? HUH? um..I'M ON THE PHONE" this lady says.

If you are talking to someone with one of those blue tooth sets, the least you could do is not make eye contact with strangers walking by. Very annoying.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
that is horribly stereotypical and basically true. thats why its so weird to me, these people that use them can barely afford a car but they have the best BT headset you can get. I guess they do lose a lot of money if their clients go elsewhere for their fixes...

Yeah I know it is but somehow they always seem to have money for booze, smokes, drugs, lottery tickets, cell phones and fatty foods, but they haven't worked a day in their lives. :rolleyes:

krupted

krupted

i have a neighbor who is 29 years old, NEVER had a job in his life. i mean never. if you were to look up his social security number it would reveal no employment of any kind at any time. he doesnt even for work cash here and there. nothing. his fat nasty girlfriend works and pays for everything, and he 'protects' her and the kids from the hood:rolleyes:.

i have other friends who complain about money, yet they were high school dropouts. "no job pays more then 10 bucks an hour and i cant live off that". duh. you dont know anything, i wouldnt even pay you 10. :rolleyes:

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
i have a neighbor who is 29 years old, NEVER had a job in his life. i mean never. if you were to look up his social security number it would reveal no employment of any kind at any time. he doesnt even for work cash here and there. nothing. his fat nasty girlfriend works and pays for everything, and he 'protects' her and the kids from the hood:rolleyes:.

i have other friends who complain about money, yet they were high school dropouts. "no job pays more then 10 bucks an hour and i cant live off that". duh. you dont know anything, i wouldnt even pay you 10. :rolleyes:

I see that all the time here, well it's the wonderful USA were the bums and dregs have more money than the people who work for a living. Gotta love the USA I tell yeah. :rolleyes:

I saw a bunch more of them today as I do everyday, it makes me sick they way they treat the people who work. :mad: :mad:

krupted

krupted

jankerson said:
I saw a bunch more of them today as I do everyday, it makes me sick they way they treat the people who work. :mad: :mad:
heh... you hit that same nerver with me. i even get it at work, new homeowners treat guys that are building the house they will sleep in like total crap. its honestly surreal to me, because when i see a girl waitressing at a busy resturant or a kid pushing carts at a homedepot in the snow i cant help but think they are very hard workers. those jobs would be easy for me, but not when i was young and all my friends were at the park smokin.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
krupted said:
heh... you hit that same nerver with me. i even get it at work, new homeowners treat guys that are building the house they will sleep in like total crap. its honestly surreal to me, because when i see a girl waitressing at a busy resturant or a kid pushing carts at a homedepot in the snow i cant help but think they are very hard workers. those jobs would be easy for me, but not when i was young and all my friends were at the park smokin.

Yes I always treat people working with respect as I know they work hard because I have been there and even today I still work hard. :)

But it's the POS people who don't work and are on the dole taking that really piss me off when they treat people who are working like crap and they know they can do it because the Companies let them do it. :mad:

There are also those who have had an easy life, but work who do the same, but at least they are out in the work force earning a living so it's a little easier to take. But nobody IMO has the right to treat people that are working like crap. I think it's freaking pathetic and it makes me want to thow up. :mad:

Associates