Why are floppy diskettes so unreliable?

V

vancouverbc

Everytime I make a startup diskette it only last a few times before it won't work. This has happened 5 times with different types of startup diskettes on two separate computers. They are all new startup diskettes. They have not been sitting around for months.

While I'm at it, floppy drives are hell to configure. I had a 5.25 floppy and a 3.25 floppy on my computer so i got rid of the 5.25 which was A drive. If I say none for the 5.25 drive he won't boot. I've tried every combination with none in it , disabled and enabled.

Ponch

Ponch

Most of my floppies go bad afte 5 years, but that's still more than " a few times before it won't work".
Check the storage conditions. They also don't like to fall on the ground.
There is a twist in the cable to distinguish A from B.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Perhaps both of your floppy drives are defective. At least half of the old floppy drives I have are nfg.
Are your floppies being stored near speakers or a monitor or tv? Either could have a strong enough magnetic field to affect floppies stored for several months.

V

vancouverbc

They go bad in a week. Maybe one of my floppy drives is damaging the diskettes. I do switch the diskettes between a 166 and a 466 mhz. Thanks for your help:)

A

Armaphage

BroadBand Is Scared Of Me
An interesting, and entirely irrelevant, observation is that 5.25 disks (high density or not) are generally more reliable than 3.5 disks!

It's most likely due to the fact that the tracks are packed together as tightly so there isn't the "bleeding" suffered by a tight packed 3.5 disk.

Also--I'm almost positive that any recently manufactured disk drives are crappy. It may just be a coincidence, but the old ones work for me.

Associates