Who makes a good monitor at a decent price?........

N

netdude

I want to get a Sony to be honest. What's a good model Sony that won't break the bank? If you know of any other brands that are comparable to Sony let me know. Thanks, Al

R

RVT

Mag and ViewSonic are the only two I touch any more on the medium price spectrum (If you want to spend big bucks, then you can do even better with NEC or Mitsubishi.).
Trutyhfully, you'll not find better for the price. They both stock a trinitron line in all sizes, and back them well.

My 2 cents
Vince

N

netdude

I want something with at least a 0.25mm aperture grille pitch right or do i want a lower number? The lower the number the closer the dots are or something? Thanks, Al

N

netdude

This isn't bad for the price. I looked at viewsonic and none of the ones i wanted in my price range could match the .22mm pitch.

MultiSync® 95 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor
Manufacturer: NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display of America, Inc.
Mfg Part #: MS95
CompUSA SKU: 273995
CompUSA Price: $299.97 System Type: PC (Intel® x86 Compatible)
Apple® Macintosh™
Diagonal Size: 19 in
Display Type: Shadow Mask CRT
Pitch: 0.22 mm
Resolution: 1600 x 1200 (UXGA)
Refresh Rate at Max Resolution: 76 Hz
Color Support: Color
Viewable Size: 18 in
Mounting: Desktop
Connectors: Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA)
Height: 17.8 in
Width: 17.4 in
Depth: 17.9 in
Weight: 48.1 lbs
Warranty Information: 1 Year warranty on CRT

Parts Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)
Labor Warranty: 1 Year (12 Months)

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
I personally love IIyamas.

------------------
...and the 8th and final rule, if this is your first night, you have to fight.

C

Chairman Mao

I've got a friend who does high end 3D rendering (3D Studio Max, etc.)...like Vince, he swears by MAG and the NEC, preferring the NEC. I've not seen his new NEC's but he says picture quality is even more crisp than the MAG's.

I've seen the Viewsonic PF790 and the flat MAG (DX890F). both are really nice 19" flat monitors.

I've read on reviews as well that the PF795 (supports higher resolutions) is a better version of the PF790. might be worth looking into this as well.

------------------
...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
netdude-- the Multisync 95 monitor has a .22 HORIZONTAL dot pitch. The diagonal dot pitch (that people almost always use to compare monitors) is only .26 on that monitor. Just be sure you know what you're using to compare monitors. One monitor may claim to be .22 dot pitch, but in fact it will not be as good as a monitor that says it has .25 dot pitch, if the first is measured horizontally and the other measured diagonally which is the normal way.

[This message has been edited by Baloneyflaps (edited 01-30-2001).]

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Deanril-- that's a bit pricey for a KDS, isn't it?

For 3 dollars more you can get the ViewSonic PF790 from there, which unsurprisingly is Onvia's best-selling piece of hardware.

Either way I think both may be over his budget...

D

Deanril

Um,no......I feel its a better monitor,not by numbers alone,but by first hand,seeing both in action.

But numbers....the actual highest res. is 1920 x [email protected] its been updated,since those specs have been released.True .24 and believ me its SHARP.

And at 1600x1200x32 you will get a 85hz refresh on the KDS vs. a 77hz on the viewsonic
- SCREEN TYPE: MONITOR
- COLOR / MONOCHROME: COLOR
- MONITOR SIZE: 19
- VIEWABLE SIZE (DIAG. INS.): 18
- DOT PITCH SIZE (MM): 25
- MAXIMUM RESOLUTION AT HIGHEST REFRESH AND COLOR (N X N): 1600X1200
- MAXIMUM REFRESH RATE AT HIGHEST RESOLUTION AND COLOR (KHZ): 77
- COLOR PALETTE AT HIGHEST RESOLUTION AND REFRESH (N COLORS): 16.7
- SCREEN COATING: ANTI-GLARE
- TILT / SWIVEL: TILT & SWIVEL
- CONNECTOR TYPE: 15 PIN PC
- VOLTAGE SUPPORTED: 110V & 220V
- POWER CONSUMPTION (WATTS): 130W (TYP
- POWER CORD INCLUDED? YES
- VIDEO CABLE INCLUDED? YES
- CERTIFICATION(S): ENERGY STAR MPR II

R

RVT

Sorry, I've tossed far too many 15" KDS's in my career (probably 20+, mostly with weak intensity and poor focus problems). Maybe they have gotten better with the larger units in the last few years, but my dislike of them is already firmly planted. Perhaps not a fair eval of their newer stuff, I doubt I'll ever give them another chance unless they rock the industry with something hot.

Like I said, I like NEC, well built. However, Mag and ViewSonic are about all I order any more, the 3 year warrantee (Hot swap for the first year!) is nice too. (yes, I've had to use the warrantee once or twice, and was well taken care of.)

Another 2 cents
(redeemable value = $0)
Vince

K

K6-III

Samsung makes great monitors for a great price. I personally have 2, the 700IFT and the 753DF. If you have a bit more to spend, consider the 19" flat faced Hitachi. It has a true .22 dot pitch and is the best monitor on the market.

------------------
Gimme my TriLevel Cache

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Suit yourself, Dean-- but I've heard a lot of people talk about DEAD KDS monitors-- too many that I would ever consider owning one even if I thought they were ViewSonic's equal. I was going to bring it up, but Vince beat me to it.

Also, the KDS's refresh rate at 1600x1200 and the fact that it may be able to support 1920x4400 doesn't mean squat as far as I'm concerned. For that matter, it could support 19200x44400 and that wouldn't mean anything either because that isn't a useful resolution on a 19" monitor. I see you decided to leave out the refresh comparison at a reasonable USABLE resolution like 1280x1024 where the ViewSonic has the better refresh rate of 90Hz.

I don't think anyone would ever see the difference between 85 and 90Hz, but since you brought it up:
Guess which resolution KDS recommends for use with that monitor? Yep, that's right! 1280x1024-- where it still has the same refresh (85Hz) that it has up there at that other resolution that won't be used by most people and incidentally where it loses to the ViewSonic's refresh rate.

N

netdude

I settled for the ViewSonic A75F, i have it hooked up now as i type, great picture(.25mm) and a great price, $289 minu $20 rebate plus i like the three year warranty. So far so good, very clear bright picture. My Sony MultiScan200sx will now be used with my MAC, i caught it in time, it still has some life in it and i use my MAC alot less now. Thanks for the help guys. Al

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Originally posted by K6-III:
Samsung makes great monitors for a great price. I personally have 2, the 700IFT and the 753DF. If you have a bit more to spend, consider the 19" flat faced Hitachi. It has a true .22 dot pitch and is the best monitor on the market.
Hitachi may well make very nice monitors-- BUT THEY DO NOT have a "true" .22 dot pitch! True horizontal, yes. Truly no way to compare to a DIAGONAL measurement.

A .22 HORIZONTAL dot pitch monitor is a "true" .26mm dot pitch usually.

D

Deanril

Taken from the .ini

[AV195TF.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1920,1440",Mode1,,"30.0-111.0,50.0-160.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"AV19TF93.ICM"
It does 100hz @ 1280x1024 also been updated since those old specs........so there :p

Oh sure viewsonic is the sheeeet,not......