Which will run cooler/quieter 320gb or 500gb?

P

purell

I really don't need 500gb. Just need the 320 external. But would like to know will the 320gb version run cooler/quieter than the 500? The 500gb won't be that much faster if at all right?

I have a seagate 7200.10 seagate 320gb and it runs much cooler than the 500gb samsung.

Western Digital My Book Premium ES WDG1SU5000N 500GB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - Retail

Average Latency: 4.2ms
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Cache: 16MB
Dimensions: 2.2" x 6.8" x 5.6"
Features: Easy to set up, easy to use - Installation is a snap because you don't really "install" this drive, you just plug it in and it's ready to use. There is no CD to install; the included software loads from the drive the first time you plug it in. PC and
Form Factor: 3.5"
Interface: USB 2.0 / eSATA

OR

Western Digital My Book Premium ES WDG1SU3200N 320GB 7200 RPM External Hard Drive - Retail

Average Latency: 4.2ms
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Dimensions: 2.2" x 6.8" x 5.6"
Features: Easy to set up, easy to use - Installation is a snap because you don't really "install" this drive, you just plug it in and it's ready to use. There is no CD to install; the included software loads from the drive the first time you plug it in. PC and
Form Factor: 3.5"
Interface: USB 2.0 / eSATA

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
It varies between model, manufacturer and number of platters. Some 500GB HDD's will run cooler and quieter then other 500GB HDD's. If you want some pointers, just pop on over to Storage Review and look at their noise comparison charts.

As far as StorageReview is concerned, the Hitachi 7K500's seem to be the quietest 500GB drive they've reviewed. Incidentally, the Hitachi 7K500's are also among the fastest HDD's when it comes to desktop applications (again, according to StorageReview).

B

biglilsteve

I honestly can't see either of those hard drives being cooler/faster than the other. They are both the same model external hard drive with the same specs from the same manufacturer with the only exception being storage size.

Maybe thats a n00b way to look at it though...