Which way should CPU fan face?

C

Cashis

My thermaltake directs air towards the heatsink. Would it help cooling if I turned the fan around so it pulled air away? I might even duck it to my exhaust fan with black electrical tape. Gimme some input guys!

------------------
Iwill KK266
TBird [email protected] (6.5x155)
Crucial PC133 256MB cas2
Tt VolcanoII
ATi Radeon [email protected]
Maxtor DiamondMax+ 40GB 7200/ATA100
HP 9550i 12x8x32 CD-RW
BTC 16x CDROM
Actiontec 56k PCI Lite
D-Link PCI 2xUSB Port
Envision EN780 17"
Labtec LCS-2418 Flatpanels
MS Intellimouse Trackball

G

godlikefool

Try it. I dont think you will do any better then with the air going at the hs. Actually I think it should perform alot worse. So try this, Underclock your chip, and see what temps it hits the way the fan is setup now. Then turn off you comp and reverse the fan. Wait a few hours to make sure everything is as cool as it is going to get then turn it back on and see how the temps compare. Just an idea. Good luck and let us know the results!

------------------
T-Bird [email protected]
Abit KT7
256 crucial pc133 cas 2
Geforce 2 GTS
30 gig Maxtor
SB Live Value
win 98
16x Pioneer DVD
8x4x32 burner
19 inch Sony

Maxout

Maxout

Some Heatsinks are designed to have the fan(s) suck instead of blow, (most of the Alpha's for example) but sometimes because of system/case layout, sucking will work better on sinks designed for blowing.

You just have to try it

------------------
If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

W

wdeep

Mine work better when they blow. But it depends on the heatsink and fan you're using. As stated above, try it both ways and measure the results. That's what I do.

------------------
"thou shalt be before the radiance sweet of her whose beauteous eyes all things behold"

- Dante, Divine Comedy

C

Cashis

I'll do that when I have time
I have to reapply the thermalpaste between the CPU and the H/S again because the first time I did it I was in a rush. I can't find my little packet of thermal paste! AHH!! Anybody want to send me their extra?

No time for anything these days! I'm searching around the house to find parts to build up a 233MMX system

------------------
Iwill KK266
TBird [email protected] (6.5x155)
Crucial PC133 256MB cas2
Tt VolcanoII
ATi Radeon [email protected]
Maxtor DiamondMax+ 40GB 7200/ATA100
HP 9550i 12x8x32 CD-RW
BTC 16x CDROM
Actiontec 56k PCI Lite
D-Link PCI 2xUSB Port
Envision EN780 17"