Which UPS for my rig?

G

Gradlock

System specs are below. I plan on upgrading to a 4870 card or better towards the end of the year. What UPS and with what specs should I get for this setup? It doesn't have to run for more than 10mins max under full load since what I'm mainly concerned about is power fluctuations. Over the past few weeks there have been some power fluctuations/brownouts that have casued me some concern. I know nothing about UPS except for APC. I have looked online and they are rated by VA and watts. Which numbers and features should I pay attention to? What are some brands I can trust and others to avoid?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
http://www.apc.com/template/size/apc/index.cfm

That should help you size out your UPS. I'd probably go at least 500VA. Look for a model with USB for monitoring. The older ones use a serial cable.

Just about everyone I know uses APC. I haven't seen too many others on the consumer level besides APC. I've seen Belkins, but no one I know uses them. Tripp Lites are good, but I've only seen the corporate models (rack mounted, $$$$).

G

Gradlock

Thanks Midknyte. We have Tripplite UPSes here at work and they sure are nice but they do look like they cost a bundle. I'm gonna check the local PC stores unless you have any recommendations. Those things weight so much that they cancel out any savings in shipping costs.

T

TinyJoe

System specs are below. I plan on upgrading to a 4870 card or better towards the end of the year. What UPS and with what specs should I get for this setup? It doesn't have to run for more than 10mins max under full load since what I'm mainly concerned about is power fluctuations. Over the past few weeks there have been some power fluctuations/brownouts that have casued me some concern. I know nothing about UPS except for APC. I have looked online and they are rated by VA and watts. Which numbers and features should I pay attention to? What are some brands I can trust and others to avoid?

I've had a few power supplies fried thanks to the crappy power and the factory next door that keeps sagging our power. I've lost several Power supplies on my PC, Blue-Ray player, and a few others pieces of hardware. I spent quite a bit of time researching online and after realizing that what I need and want is too expensive I decided to buy a refurbished ups. I wanted a line interactive UPS with avr/boost and drop to be able to lift through the sags when the factory next door turns on their equipment. We picked up a Smart UPS 1500 for less than half of original cost and never had a problem since.

Tiny

*** Link removed by site staff so it doesn't look like you're spamming. ***

Associates