Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is?

A

auxois

Crap, I forgot a couple things in my novel, I have personally topped out my car at 160+mph. And also, think about the Corvette vrs Camaro thing, its like p3 vrs Celeron, if GM gave the Z-28 as much HP as the Corvette, it would cut into the Vette sales. Its all about Marketing, but at least Intel and GM both gave us ways of "overclocking", could be worse too(can you say bus locked?)

M

millenko

the reason most speed limiters are put on cars, whether they are electronic rev limiters or fuel cutoffs, is because the manufacturer is limiting liability because of the cheap tires that they put on the car. If a manufacturer puts a H rated tire on a car that is capable of 150+ mph, they are asking for a lawsuit when some jackass actually drives faster than the tires are capable. It is cheaper for the car makers to put in electronic limiters then for them to put on tires that are capable of withstanding the heat and centifugal stress of going that fast.
For a personal example, I have a 95 ford T-Bird with a 4.6l V-8, this car is more than capable of 130+ mph, but because Ford wanted to cut costs, the car only came with H rated tires that are designed not to exceed 112 mph. So, for Ford to avoid lawsuits when jackasses exceeded the tire's rating, causing a massive blowout at high speed, they put in a chip that cuts off the fuel flow at around 110mph.
Think of it this way...redesign computer chip to limit speed---very cheap
put on tires that are rated to the capability of the car---ZR rated tires ~300 added to the price of the car...
I just put a new set of H rated generals on the car. price? $200
The tires that came off were ZR rated Pirellis. price? $500+

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
It's funny how we drift off topic but cars are something that have played a fairly big part in my life so far.
I'm a mechnic for a F3000 racing team and the performance figures for a Lola T96\50 are impressive:-

476bhp not a big figure but when you consider it weighs 600Kg with driver. It's roughly 952bhp per ton!

It would still get trounced off the line by a good pro street car as it has no weight transfer to give it start line traction.

I unfortunatly don't get to drive it, I just mend it but just about the most fun car I used (wasn't mine) was a 75 ford Capri,
I'm in the UK so for those of you not familiar with this, it can best be described as the "English Mustang". This car looked stock was a bit scruffy but had a 400hp 351 Cleveland and Mustang suspension. It ran a 12.2 quarter on slicks. I also had a 70 RoadRunner, aussie Charger and a wide arched Jag with a Plymouth big block, and I'm building a pro street Plymouth SuperBird. I've got pictures if anyone's interested but I'm not sure how to post them..........BladeRunner

L

LaoChe

Auxois, you are the shit. I know we are just going right off the original topic but I think we have done all we can about it. On to a bigger question... I'm going to get a 2000 Camaro. Do you think it would be better to get a Z28 with the SS package or just get a Z28 and do the mods myself? Which would be cheaper and faster?

I need to find a car discussion group...

A

auxois

LaoChe,

The SS is more of a collectors item, sort of an exclusivity(is that a word?) thing. As far as speed and HP goes, the SS is the same as the Z-28 with a few exceptions: 3" cat-back exhaust, ram-air airbox assembly, Torsen rear differential, 17" ZR-1 style wheels, stiffer suspension, and Hurst short-throw shifter. There are also a couple body differences, such as Ram-air hood(looks cool), and more pronounced rear spoiler. The SS package is around $4000 on top of a Z-28 price(for only about 20hp more), but for $4000 you could add a hell of alot of mods to a regular Z-28 and it would be way faster than a stock SS, heck I have added 55hp or so, for under $2000. I would say if you are concerned with speed only, go with the Z-28, and use the money you saved to modify the crap out of it. However, if looks and exclusiveness are more important, go with the SS. Or, you could do what I want to do: Get the SS and modify it.

Check out http://www.f-body.org/ for Camaro mailing lists(I have lots of friends there, been a member since '95), but stay away from the newsgroups, they have way too much misinformation. Also, you can check out irc #f-bodies on wasteland(sahara.wasteland.org, frozen.wasteland.org, etc.). Good luck!

J

Jamesy

Since were talking about cars here, I'd like either a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI or a Nissan Skyline GTR please - these 2 will blow Camaros, Fords etc etc AWAY!

L

LaoChe

Jamesy the Camaros range in price from $15,000-$32,000. The Skyline GTR is a $85,000 car. If your talking about cars in that price range I'll take a Viper GTS and kick the crap out of your little Japanese car. I like some of the Japanese cars ( 300ZX, NSX ) but those cars are just damn ugly. And the only way Japanese auto makers get that kind of speed out of those little cars is by adding turbo ( or even twin turbo ). That is kind of weak, don't you think? After all, imagine if Chevrolet put twin turbos on a 1999 Vette!

L

LaoChe

Oh and Auxois, thanks for the advise. I'll go with the SS and modify it later. And if you are thinking about getting and SS or any Camaro or Firebird, you better get it next year, since they will be discontinuing them in 2000. That is why I'm going to try and get one next year.

J

jopey

hell if you are talkin that kind of money...I want a 99 Saleen Mustang s351. It will blow the doors off just about any car on the road. and for 50k I will have money for spare parts cause I will beat the living shit out of it.

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

A

auxois

For that kind of money I will take a 95+ Camaro ZL-1, 527cid(8.6L) v8 big block, still fuel injected, and all fitting under a slighty raised hood. 725hp ad runs the 1/4 at 10.x @ 140mph or so, on street tires!(385mm wide tires!) and its totally streetable, NOT some kind of drag car with no interior and skinnies up front. Also you can autocross with it(its got awesome handling, again, NOT just a drag car). ;P

A

auxois

Oh, btw, the Camaro is contracted through the factory until at least 2002, GM released a press statement saying the rumors of it going away in 2000 were untrue. Okay, I'll shut up about Camaros now.

J

jopey

I aggree with TN, about Gm. I also heard that they have used up all of thier EPA fuel milage credits and they have to do something to get thier overall Rating up to standards. They just make to many gas guzzlers. I say go with the fords. They are better anyways. just like Intel's are better than AMD's

And auxois That S351 by saleen is a 100% streetable car with all the factory options avaible.

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

A

auxois

Jopey,

My car gets 30mpg on the highway 20 in the city, hardly a gas guzzler, SUVs eat WAY more gas than that. And that S351 has no where near 725hp, and it has a blower, the ZL1 is all motor baby.

Fords are just better? You are kidding, right?

M

Maxxim_Hacks

Yeah; well I think this will kick the @$$ of anyone who will try to drag against it. My uncle in NY has a '99 Lingefeilter Firebird with a dual turbocharged and 580+ HP. It has a 3.73-11 rearend and a 6-speed Ret-Trole tranny. In October, he took it on a road trip with his wife to "The Strip" in Arizona. He has a lidar printout showing a 9.82 qtr mile. And that is only the beginning. If you know ANYTHING about the Lingefeilters, then you know what I'm talkin' about. These cars kick some serious @$$. But hell, for a 79K sticker price, you better get results like this.

------------------
The colder I can get, the faster I can go.

[email protected]

J

jopey

hey auxois some of us like those blowers you know. yeah I know it doesn't have 725hp. but it does have 500hp. and who really gives a shit. it is what I want anyways. I never liked GM and that is that. come to speak of it Dodges aren't much better. I love fords. plain and simple.

------------------

Associates