Where do you think the "multiplier lock" is?

R

racas

Dammit!

I knew this would happen! You've shattered my dreams, jopey! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Seriously, though... The governor on a car is designed to limit top speed because it's illegal to go over a certain speed (Break 100 and get caught, you in a sh*tload of trouble).

And it's also highly dangerous to go that fast in a car. I believe that cars are also listed as "weapons" in some of the government's books. I don't think the governor is put in place by the car company, I think it's put there by the government (either by regulation or such)

D

diablovision

What are you talking about (governor)? These are only present in very few engines (cheap cars and mopeds). The truth is that most car engines simply don't have enough horsepower to push those speeds. A lot of newer cars can hit 100mph easily...do you really think it does any good to put a governor on it?

R

racas

Watch that one, DiabloBoy...

My mother's 1994 Camaro Z28 had a governor on it. The thing wouldn't go past 95, and the engine was only running at 2000. Are ou telling me that a Z28 doesn't have the horsepower to go above 95?

As to your reasons WHY governors are installed... Do you really think that you need a mechanical device to limit a car from going a speed it CAN'T go? The governor is installed to prevent cars from going above a certain speed.

[This message has been edited by racas (edited 12-01-99).]

S

SkrUboL

I always knew Camaro's sucked, but I didn't realize they were that bad. That's exactly what I want... A sports car that can't break 100... That would be fun pulling up next to it with my old '88 Acura legend that barely runs on the highway, and winning a race cuz she stops at 95, and I'll still be going strong at 110.

------------------
-SkrUboL
www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

L

LaoChe

OK Diablo, I don't think you are a car buff. Governors are present in quite a few cars. My '92 (w/ a 305) Camaro cuts off at 115mph and it only has 225HP. The newer Camaro Z28s (w/ 305hp)I believe cut off at around 115mph too. These chips can easily be taken out and replaced with performance chips that will kill the governor and increase hp. As for me I'm going to get a Camaro SS (320+hp baby) and replace it the chip.

SkrUboL...And as for your comment about the '88 Acura vs a '94 Z28, when you finally hit 95mph in your Acura, I'll be wayyyyy down the road with the Z28. Point being, if your going to race a Z28 in an Acura, make sure you have a good head start and hope he hasn't replaced his chip.

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 12-01-99).]

J

jopey

Shit my buddy had a 93 Ford Lightning that would blow the doors off just about anything. And it hit a rev limiter when it was going 104MHP. This would suck when they went by us because they had more top speed. Shit we blew a newer mustang off the line and we were towing a boat to boot.

And another fact not every car is as easy as just poping a chip. some you have to add extra computers and wiring harnesses in to it.

Diablovision: As for very few cars that have limiters are limited to cheap cars and mopeds. what about the 99 Ford Lightning. IT'S top speed is 140MPH and that is limited by wind drag. so does that mean that it is a cheap piece of shit.

L

LaoChe

now I know how people double post (triple in my case)...sorry

L

LaoChe

Sorry Jopey, I was talking Camaros. All you have to do with them is just pop in another chip and your are ready to go. Not to big of a hassle.

Now let me tell you about speed and Z28s. I was crusing down the highway at 114mph (115mph the governor kicks in) and a '98 Z28 pulled up beside me. He then turn and looked at me and then gunned it. He took off so fast I thought I was standing still.

J

jopey

Laoche time for a chip!!! Hey who cares that 99 Lightning will take a Porche boxer in the 0 to 60 times. Now that would ba a sight and it is stock from the manufacturer like that. No chips needed.

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

I

iAMDking

Hum i was under the impression that this was a comp poist site. not car. o well i'll add my 2 cents, :) F*ck intel. and yes some of the amd's have locks. and as for the cars i'll take a 911 carrera turbo, 0-60 in 3.2 sec flat at 7000 feet elevition that is as fast a cbr 900. ok so your slow cars can stay home when i'm on the road.

L

LaoChe

Hey iAMDking, since we are in fantasy land, I'll take a Callaway Corvette Sledgehammer with its 880hp and top speed of 255mph. Now, when I'm on the road try and get that little weak ass 911 out of my rear view mirror!

S

Swedishlf

While we're at it... I always wanted a MacLaren F1.... Bragging rites.

Nothing better than a gold lined engine compartment!

J

jopey

IAmdking and Laoche Those two cars are Overly prices pieces of equpitment. Besides A truck that could kick the buts of most street cars is better anyday. Besides that the 99 lightning only costs $30k compared to your $$$. This is what most normal people could afford. Also in being in a truck vs one of those flashy lookin rigs you are not as noticable to the cops.

S

Splatt

Boy, this thread came back from the dead

jopey, you're on that one for sure! I've got a 98 concorde. It won't beat out a 911, sure, but it has some nice accelleration(I've beat out all sorts of cars on the road with it
and since it's basically a boat, it's a whole lot less obvious as a frequent speeder as a small, racy, red, sports car...

The thing that ticked me off today was I was kicking down 309 and as I hit 115 I thought I saw the tach drop like a rock. Not positive as I had to break a minute later
Not the safest thing in the world taking it up to 115 on a road with a speedlimit of 50 and in the top 10 most dangerous roads in the us

In any case, I love them fast cars, but will never get one. If I floor it and cruise at 100 in a concorde, think about what I'd do in something a bit more powerful... Good way to get killed. ouch...

As for the topic - I'm sure the mult. lock is burned into a rom that can't be changed, or similar tactic. And you can't sue them. It's not like the Bausch & Lomb case where they sold the exact same lenses as 1-day, 2-week and 2-month lenses at different costs (that was fun
but Intel has tests that show that proc 1 will run at 500 but not 600 and proc 2 will run at 600. Whether or not they are the most reliable tests (obviously not since my 550 is at 630) but they are done through standards that would hold up in court. The charges would be dropped before you could blink

on a side note - beta cpus do not have a lock on the multiplier.

[This message has been edited by Splatt (edited 12-02-99).]

G

Goffenheimer

I think everyone agrees that it would be easier to find a "special" chip without a multipier lock than to actualy get aroung the lock itself. Does anyone have any idea how to get hold of one of these lock-less chips? I wonder where these "beta" chips go. I would be interested in purchasing a chip without a multiplier lock.
BTW - I own a '88 GTA Trans-Am. 350HP. vroom! vroom!

------------------
Error: CPU speed is too fast.

J

jopey

Sure you go over to one of those forum's that intel runs and ask for one and tell them that you want to overclock the living shit out of it. See what kind of replys you get back.

The only ones that I have heard of are pre Aug 98 and the ones that the Intel Engineers use for testing.

home.rochester.rr.com/winterchillers/

------------------
WINDOWS HAS NOT DECTECTED A KEYBOARD PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

S

SpatchMonKey

You guys were using the fact that engines have governors to prevent the cars from going past certain speeds as an analogy for describing the multiplier locks on Intel CPU's. The governors were made for legal purposes and for the benefit of motorists (so crazy, stupid morons dont decide to drive down public highways at 400mph, run into something, and take themselves plus everyone else within a 1 mile radius out with them). No one knows why Intel decided to keep people from overclocking their products. One can guess that it was for reasons of greed. They figure why let us overclock their CPU's when they can screw us up our asses and force us to buy new ones.

:/

J

jopey

Intel Put locks on thier processors to stop Remarkers from selling thier chips at higher speeds and reaping huge profits and screwing the mass public. Intel doesn't give two shits about overclockers. Alto I bet they watch each and every site that talks about overclocking and see what their chips are being pushed to.

------------------

A

auxois

Well well well, something I actually know more about than overclocking cpus: Sports cars.

Back to the Z28 issue real quick, a few things:

1) 93+(newer body style) Z-28's only have a speed limiter if you do not purchase the car with Z-rated tires(rated past 155mph). Most of them DO NOT have speed limiters and have a stock top speed of around 150mph+.

2) 94+ Z-28's do not have a "chip" that you can replace(86-93's do). They have a programmable EEPROM. All you have to do is buy a Hypertech power programmer and you can reprogram the whole car's computer to your hearts content, bypassing speed limiters, rev limiters, change timing and fuel curves, etc.

3) The LT1 350 motor that is in 93-97 Z-28's is the same exact motor that is in 92-96 Corvettes and the LS1 346 motor in 98-present Z-28's is the same as 97-present Corvettes, but in the Camaros the motor is restricted by the exhaust system, and airbox assembly, lowering the HP.

In the same way that us overclockers take a p3-450 that is really just a p3-600 and overclock it to 600, us Camaro drivers, take our Corvette motors and remove the restrictions, effectively overclocking the motor to the HP level it was built for in the first place.

The difference is, we THANK GM for building us an affordable sports car that we can very easily up the HP to far greater levels. I think we should be thanking Intel for building us budget priced chips with superpower cores that we can overclock very easily, and forget about the multiplier guys, there are motherboards now that can have any bus speed from 83-200 in 1mhz increments! That leaves plenty of options for finding they best speed for your chip.

BTW, I have a 94 Z-28, 6speed, 350, "overclocked" to 330hp

(from 275 stock, I have dynoed the car when stock and when modified). 13.42 @ 104.2 in the 1/4 if anyone is interested. Thats approx 4.8 0-60mph. I have some cool burnout pics on my site too.

http://members.xoom.com/auxois/

p3-500 @ 620 +TNT2 +128pc100

Associates