Where did the bfg come from?

chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
Yeah, I remember playing a game were the BFG was a big blue ball that when u shot it it had 4 lines or so scatter out of it and spread shot. Someone told me it was duke nukem but i never had that game so it couln't be it...
i dont remember it being in quake or quake 2....

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Justintime said:
It literally means big f*^&*&% gun i think :D
That's always been popular opinion, although I don't think I've ever seen it officially confirmed. "Big fraggin' gun" is the version rolled out in polite company. The name's been warped slightly in various places too. My ISP has a couple of proxies named bfc9000 and mfc9000. The C is for cache, and the M shouldn't take too much imagination... :)

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Actually it was in Quake II, I remember it well, lol. Big F**cin Gun, man that think rocked. Than they took it out of Q3 and of course Q4 doesn't have it either. Man I miss my BFG. :( ;)

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Someone once told me that BFG actually stood for "Built for Girls." Rumor has it that the ID guys created the gun so their girlfriends could play them in multi-player. Without the BFG, the ID guys would easily win and their GFs wouldn't play. So they invented the gun to make everyone happy! Not sure how much truth there is to that story.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
The CandyMan said:
Actually it was in Quake II, I remember it well, lol. Big F**cin Gun, man that think rocked. Than they took it out of Q3 and of course Q4 doesn't have it either. Man I miss my BFG. :( ;)
Yeah, it was brought back in Quake II as the BFG10K.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
ThreeOnTheTree said:
Someone once told me that BFG actually stood for "Built for Girls." Rumor has it that the ID guys created the gun so their girlfriends could play them in multi-player. Without the BFG, the ID guys would easily win and their GFs wouldn't play. So they invented the gun to make everyone happy! Not sure how much truth there is to that story.
Great story :D

Justintime

Justintime

The CandyMan said:
Its in Quake 3, dunno about 4 as i haven't seen it. Quick place i can remember is the last single player arena in q3, the very end of you, when you fight the monk guy, forgot his name, despero? its on one or both of the platforms on either side that you have to go on the jump platforms to get to, you have to get it and get off quick as something crushes you if you stick around too long.

chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
hrmm...so i was probably playing one of them custom maps so thats why i dont remember the game...ah well just trying to relive my past..

Justintime

Justintime

chetmichaels said:
hrmm...so i was probably playing one of them custom maps so thats why i dont remember the game...ah well just trying to relive my past..
Know what you mean, i truly enjoyed gaming back then, now it seems its all about the graphics, the engines and whos game looks more lifelike than the actual gameplay.