Whats the best way to config DVD for TV?

B

bubbagump1

Looking to get a DVD ROM but I want to be able to watch movies on my TV. I already have a good video card ATI Radeon 32ddr. But it does not have a TV out. I want to know how I can add a DVD and have it play on my TV. Tell me what to do please.

------------------
Avoid being normal

cfb44

cfb44

you'll either need to get another video card w/ tv-out, or a dvd decoder (which will come w/ tv and audio-out). i think decoders usually run around $70 seperate, or you can get a dvd kit which comes w/ the decoder.

B

bubbagump1

Thanks for the input. What is a good decoder card to get. And do they work with any brand DVD ROM?

------------------
Avoid being normal

cfb44

cfb44

wish i could help w/ that one - i'v never used a decoder card. i've seeen some that have digital audio out, unfortunately i dont remember the company. i know creative has a dvd/decoder bundle, cant remember who else though...

H

Hostile

Many decoder cards are made by a company called Hollywood. In fact, they made the decoder cards included in the Creative Labs Encore series. To avoid compatibility headaches, I'd suggest buying the decoder card and the DVD-ROM as a kit.

I have a 2-year-old CL 5X Encore kit with a Dxr3 decoder card (made by Hollywood). I like it real well. The output from the regular video card is routed to the decoder card with a pass-thru cable, then your monitor is hooked up to the decoder card output VGA port. The decoder card also has S-video out and composite video out. Audio wise, the audio out from your DVD-ROM is hooked to the decoder card (it also has an extra connector for the audio out from your CD-ROM drive). Then the audio is passed on to your sound card.

Hope that helped.

M

masterblaster

Hollywood decoder cards work extremely well with Toshiba DVD drives. And Toshiba Drives work well for those of us with CDRW's.

Good Luck
MB

grover

grover

Ex pert
I have an old creative decoder card. It works pretty well in full-screen, but overall, I haven't been all that impressed with it.

And yes- it will work with all DVD brands in your region

------------------
Asus A7V
Duron [email protected]@1.80V

Associates