Whats the Best Scanner for $200 and under???

The Man in Black

I bought the Microtek ScanMaker E3 about a year ago for less that $200. Haven't had any problems with it. I'm sure they have upgraded models. Check 'em out. Also, Photoshop is an excellent program to use with the scanner.

I picked up an OBM OpticPro 4380P a year or two ago for like $150. I have seen it around no for under $100. 30bit, works well with Photoshop4 & 5, and scans nicely. I have no clue where to get one, other than through Damark.

I have an HP 6100 ($800) at work. I recently gave a friend an IBM IdeaScan for Xmas. While a little slower (the HP is FAST) the quality of the scans are great, as good or better than the HP.

With the rebate, it runs around $100-$120 depending on where you buy it.

I personally like the UMAX 600 series (I think it might be a 630 or some such.) CNET has a good round-up of scanners in your price range from a couple of months back. Go to the CNET page (www.cnet.com) and go to the hardware link.

I just bought a HP 4100C flatbed and IT ROCKS!!! The setup is a breeze(I'm really beginning to believe the USB hype) and the output is well above average. We use UMAX scanners at work and they aren't bad but we have a LOT of problems with the few Visioneers we have laying around so avoid them at all costs. I guess we could start the Parallel vs SCSI vs. USB debate but in the end if money is a HGE factor buy a parallel scanner. If a balance of ease of setup and value is important a USB scanner is probably the way to go. If you have a SCSI card already and can avoid having to shell out for a new one then SCSI won't be prohibatively(sp?) expensive. Jeez I'm rambling!

I've got a Visioneer Paperport One Touch and I love it. Had it for about 3 months. Wish I had waited though, they have a new USB version now!

[This message has been edited by davew (edited 02-20-99).]

visioneer paperport one touch 600x1200, great color scans (compared to my expensive HP)good ocr, only $200 (Mfg. might still offer $30 rebate costing $170 instead)

I picked up a Canon CanoScan 620p for $90, It runs very smooth and stable in both 95 and NT. An added plus it is one of the smallest flatbed scanners on the market.

This is kinda off the subject, but I am looking to buy a scanner (with prices this low who isn't) I just had one question though.
Is 300x600 enough or 600x600? What is the difference? I know the quality s better, but real life is it enough to tell the difference?
Is there a web site or somethong that talks about this?

I also have a Visionair Paperport and although it is a little slow, the scans are excellent. P.S. Visionair sold their scaning division to another company. Check the current issue of PC World.

I've had my E3 ScanMaker for several years. Seen it for well under $100. Happy with it for what I do. Mostly photocopies. Few photos. My HP printer is only 300 dpi so why go for a 600 or 1200 dpi optical scaner? If you are into photography and want to store your old snaps well then a higher dpi might be better. My 1.5 cents.

I've had my Mustek parallel port scanner for a few years and it's been good. It's only a 24bit, but I've seen some of the 30 and 36bit scanners and I can't really tell the difference in scan quality. I usually scan at 150dpi or so, and the pictures come out great - higher dpi setting just take up too much HDD space. My friend has a HP SCSI model and it is FAST, but mine suits my needs just fine.
just my $.02

[This message has been edited by Kevin930 (edited 03-09-99).]