What's the best mouse for gaming?

grover

grover

Ex pert
I have a Logitech Mouseman PS2 3-button mouse right now, but I'm looking to upgrade to a nice 4-button/mousewheel; I was looking primarily at Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and Explorer- the Explorer looks more ergonamic, but the intellimouse is $20 cheaper. The buttons are arrayed differently, too- which one would be better for gaming?? Will trying to reach the upper button on the explorer cramp my hand? What about the Razer boomslanger? I took this puppy for a test-drive at Best Buy and it was like liquid comfort... It didn't have 5 buttons, though, and that's what I really am looking for.

I most frequent the Quake III mod WFA, and I wanted to map grapple, crouch, jump, fire and alt-fire. Not sure what the mouse-wheel up-down will be for, since I have weapons set nice on the keyboard and don't want to overload my right hand

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
I'm HWC's resident Logitech cheerleader... so in accordance with my appointed duties, I offer for your perusal a pic of a fine suggestion for an optical, 4-button gaming mouse:

[This message has been edited by Baloneyflaps (edited 09-03-2000).]

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Are you getting paid by Logitech Flaps?
I have the Optical mouse and it works great; whichever mouse you pick will be a good choice over what you have now.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer excellent IMO and I want for nothing more (except perhaps the lack of a tail)

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Hey, it's a tradition now... I can't stop!

BTW, the Logitech's let you turn the sample rate up to 200hz...

D

dimme

I have the Intellimouse Explorer, it's great.

I remember that when I had my old Intellimouse (standard ball model), UT used to crash when I set it to 200Hz, but would run fine at 80Hz.

------------------
Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.

HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

G

Gasman

Can you smell burning?
Yep my Intellimouse Explorer gets a big thumbs up.

It was smooth out of the box, but when I downloaded the latest drivers things got even smoooooooooother.

I think the refresh rate has been upped.

------------------
[email protected] with Alpha PEP66
BF6 Mobo
CreativeGTS
Vortex2 sound
Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450

C

COZITSTHERE

I use the Logitec Trackball Marble. I never have to worrie about running off of the mousepad.

J

JollyRoger

this is the only area where I find the great Bill cannot be outdone, I've never used anything to touch an MS mouse. The Intelieye optical one is my favourite, though I don't have the cash for one myself I've used my friends in UT and it ROCKS.

Also, note that I have had the same MS Mouse 2.0 for 2 years and it shows no signs of wearing out, in the same time my Father has gone through 4 cheaper mice, equating to roughly twice the cost of my MS. I even have an old MS Mouse 1 in my loft which still works after 12 years (5 of which used for AutoCAD every day!).

------------------
Look out!!
My train of thought is a runaway!!

L

LastLegionary

Intellimouse Explorer USB. Just plug it in and there you go. The feeling of the mouse and sensitivity of the buttons takes a few days or hours to get used to, but once you are "in" you can't do without the mouse. I love my Intellimouse Explorer! It is the best mouse around.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I also use a Logitech Trackman Marble +... I can't say there is a better mouse out there.

I've also tried this same mouse without an armrest on my chair and sometimes it can get really tiring.

[This message has been edited by Toolbox (edited 09-03-2000).]

A

Acid Rain

When i got Q3A there was a ad for a mouse called Razer. Any of you heard of it. They said it is specially for gamming. It has a website also, but i lost it. oh well

------------------
Mess with the best
Die like the rest
--Hackers
-Acid Rain

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
The Razor Boomslang is probably the best ball mouse for gaming. I hear that there is a new version coming out soon.

E

ElfHoe

Hey Flaps, I got that mouse(USB).
I used to hate it, now i couldn't live w/o it!

-Hoe

------------------
You think windows is bad??
Try MAC OS. :)

grover

grover

Ex pert
Thanks all- I just ordered an Intellimouse Explorer. I think I got a good deal on it- $40 + $5/shipping
from http://www.wdoutlet.com/ (They seem like they're used to a very few high-volume sales and were lo-tech ordering, but damn, they're a good $20 cheaper than the next cheapest I saw!) I'll let you know how it turns out & if this company is worth dealing with in the future.

B

Bill_Gates

Thank you, grover!
You made the right decision!

------------------
Visit the Microsoft® campus near Redmond!

[This message has been edited by Bill_Gates (edited 09-05-2000).]

B

blindrocket

I have a razer boomslang 2000, and I love it.
That website is: www.allothermicesuck.com
or www.razerzone.com .

I have never used an intellimouse, so I can't really compare the two...but my Razer has never let me down. Great for gaming or everyday use. Just another opinion.

------------------
"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Associates