What's the best Laptop?

grover

grover

Ex pert
A friend of mine is looking for a new laptop, and as he knows next to nothing about computers, asked me to pick one out for him. What's the best laptop out there? Price is of little concern (company's paying for it
) but it is important to him that it have an internal DVD player. Now, this guy's no gamer, and isn't going to be running SETI or ripping divx, so performance isn't a big issue. In fact, I can almost assure you he'll be happier with an integrated modem (no dongle!) than an extra 128mb of RAM or GeForce2. Smaller would be better, but seems to be mutually exclusive with internal drives? Of course, this will end up being his status symbol for the next couple years... What do you all think?

Thanks

S

S_Klass

Laptops in general suck! You pay top dollar for poor performance.

However, if I had to choose, I would pick a Sony. They make one of the slimmer (if not the slimmest) notebooks with the PIII 650 - 700 MHz processor. Slick case, nice features, compact size and a reasonable price makes the Sony top in my books.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams

In my business I spend lots of time on the road (just got back from a trip last night
). Anyway, laptops are very important to me and my associates. One guy tried out a Sony VAIO and it was a nightmare. He then got a Compaq and it seems to be working well for him. I have a Dell and I really, really like it. Its 15-inch display is the best I have ever seen on a laptop. I highly recommend it ! BTW: Windoze 2000 works GREAT on laptops. It handles plug-and-play and the power features very well.

------------------
If pro is the opposite of con,
What is the opposite of progress ?

K

K6-III

Get the Sony Picturebook with the Transmeta Crusoe 600mhz processor.

------------------
Gimme my TriLevel Cache

R

Rainbow Six

The IBM's are really tiny.. thats what I would go for personally: portability.

------------------
Sitting here with my red red hat hat for the daily daily show showing.

grover

grover

Ex pert
Wow, you're quick
I've looked pretty closely at Sony, Dell, and IBM's laptops- of these, only the 5/6lb versions have internal DVD drives (which is the only practical way of watching movies on a plane). IBM Thinkpad's specs said the UltraBay 2000 could support a DVD and CD/R- is that internal, or external?

I know he'd prefer an ultrathin with a bit less so long as it comes with an internal DVD.

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

Originally posted by S_Klass:
Laptops in general suck! You pay top dollar for poor performance.

Agreed !

I have a DELL LATITUDE and my GF has a COMPAQ ARMADA.

My observations are as follows:

Load it up with ram.
Dont buy a celeron at any cost.
Acer has a unit with a CD Burner on board.
Dell has 16MB Rage 128 video and 3 year warranty.
Consider a GATEWAY, I dont like their PC's but their Lappy's are Decent.
If you want DVD you will hate yourself getting anything less than 16 meg video, 32 MB is available now I think...with DELL.
WINBOOK is cost effective.

Decide whether you want BIG or small, then go from there. If you want big then go all out. If you want small the go as small as you can and still get DVD. Dont buy a Sony with out spending some time with it, I found it somewhat cumbersome and lackluster performance. FLIGHT at www.fosa.com has a cool one: 15.1" XGA TFT-PIII 750-256MB RAM-20GB HD ? Dont buy a Quantex they are going tits up.

WHO IS THE BEST ?

Well...nobody really, its what you prefer...some of the best are:

GATEWAY SOLO-Optional 15.7" screen & 8X DVD w/RAGE Graphics!

DELL LATITUDE or INSPIRON go to www.dell.com and build it !

FUJITSU LIFEBOOK www.fujitsupc.com A 3 spindle unit of high quality !

Now that I've rambled...the mobile ATHLON will debut at 800 MHZ and should kick some serious butt using a 200 Mhz bus and on-die level 2. Anyways...I recommend a DELL or GATEWAY.

LAPTOPS are a seriously expensive shortcoming, but now that they can play DVD's and games (There are some with a mobile voodoo & gameport) If one must buy a laptop, one may as well get a big screen, DVD, CD burner, gameport, and acceptable Graphics card.

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!"

P

Paragon

The sony vaio f-series laptops rule.. 15.1 inch screen ( =17" monitor ) and have a 3 hour battery life.. have a dvd/cdrw and will do w2k.

Associates