whats the best heatsink and fan

N

new_PC_user

i was wondering maybe i should get a better heatsink, right now i have super orb on my [email protected] i was wondering if people could post any personal results with their hs/f and if money was no cost what hs/f would you get ?

S

S_Klass

All the Orb heatsinks are more eyecandy then high-performing heatsinks due to their inherently 'poor' (relatively) design that sports insufficent air movement, places too few fins too far away from the heat source to really be a performance contender. While they are relatively quiet and cheap that's about the only 2 things going for the Orbs.

I have used the Alpha PAL6035 and the ThermoSonic ThermoEngine both with the Delta 38 CFM fan to great effect. I'm keeping 1.1GHz and 1.4GHz T-Birds (respectively) between 42 - 50°C at full load with 21 - 25°C room temps.

If money was no question, the Swiftech is my baby! Solid, fundamental, no-nonsense cooling power of copper with high pin-count and 80MM high-performance cooling fan.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
TeamID: 567443298
OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Yeah, the SuperOrb isn't the best HSF to overclock with.

If you want ultimate cooling, go for either the FOP-38, the Alpha PAL6035 or the ThermoEngine. Although, these are very very noisy.

If you want a quiet alternative, go for the FOP-32 or the ThermalTake Volcano 2. Both are very good Heatsink/fans, and are quieter, than the ones mentioned above.

------------------
AMD Duron [email protected] (7.5x133MHz)
128Mb 133MHz RAM
Abit KT7a RAID
2x 8.4GB in RAID 0
Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
------------------
With insomnia, nothing is real. Everything is far away. Everything is
a copy of a copy of a copy.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Dammit S_Klass, you beat me to it

------------------
AMD Duron [email protected] (7.5x133MHz)
128Mb 133MHz RAM
Abit KT7a RAID
2x 8.4GB in RAID 0
Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
------------------
With insomnia, nothing is real. Everything is far away. Everything is
a copy of a copy of a copy.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Heh... it's probably more expensive than your processor! The cheapest I've seen a complete unit for was $79.99. When I first saw the price I thought it was in Canadian dollars...

------------------
Sir, are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Jctaylor

Jctaylor

The alphas on 3dfxcool.com look good. There is also the thermoengine on 3dcool.com with liquid center...

V

Vrytired

My 850Mhz Tbird is runing happily at 1ghz with Globalwin Fop38 on it never seen the cpu temp go above 35 degrees C. Be seure to have plenty of ventilation going through your case. I have 3 80mm case fans blowing 43Cfm plus my Psu fan.

------------------
Peace... Through superior firepower

V

Vrytired

My 850Mhz Tbird is runing happily at 1ghz with Globalwin Fop38 on it never seen the cpu temp go above 35 degrees C. Be seure to have plenty of ventilation going through your case. I have 3 80mm case fans blowing 43Cfm plus my Psu fan.

------------------
Peace... Through superior firepower

S

S_Klass

Originally posted by Vrytired:
1ghz with Globalwin Fop38 on it never seen the cpu temp go above 35 degrees C
At load or at idle, what voltage do you run? 35°C at load on a GHz class T-bird is almost unheard of with forced aircooling unless your room temps are 15°C or below. As a comparision, my T-Bird 800 @ 1100 w/Alpha PAL6035 & 38CFM fan is ~42 - 44°C at full load with 20 - 21° case temps.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
TeamID: 567443298
OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I

Ivman679

I just got the swifteck and I am pleased on how easaly it goes on and how well it cools.
I got mine with a delta running at 38cfm for about 56 at www.coolerguys.com

------------------
Sure Why Not?
Duron800
Soyo
SY-K7VTA-B Mother Board
Asus V7700
256mg pc133 cas2
Quantum Fireball 13gig
PCI-512 soundcard
Cambridge Soundworks
FPS-1000

D

Dr. MASS

Running my Duron [email protected] Mhz with a GW WBK38 but without the 48dB fan, I have the 28dB Y.S. Tech instead. It works like a charm

------------------
AMD Duron [email protected] Mhz, 256 MB, WBK38/Y.S. Tech 21CFM 28dB
Dual Celeron [email protected], 256 MB, Dual Fop32-1/Y.S. Tech 27cfm 36dB
P2 350Mhz, 192MB
P-100Mhz, 48MB
P-90Mhz, 16MB
P-75Mhz, 40MB
486Dx2/66Mhz, 36MB
386/??Mhz, ??MB

A

aug1516

The best HSF would be the Swiftech, but you are going to be paying well over $50 for it. I have an Alpha PAL6035 which seems to cool really nicely, not as much as the FOP38 though. The problem witht the Fop38 and other Global Win HSF units is that they use high rpm fans which cool really well but also produce a lot of noise. A solution to that would be to get a 80x80 and use some kind of duct to attach it to a FOP38. There is also a store called The Overclockers Store which sells a variety of HSF units, they recently released a new one called the Gladiac I think. Its performance is comparable to the Swiftech for only $30! http://ocz.safeshopper.com/9/6107.htm?609