What's the best card for HTPC? wrathchild_67, Help..

• Thread starter Advanced-Morgan-Duron
  • Start date
A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
I'm glad to hear that you sorted out the problem. That is very painful you have gone through. I hardly have any old DVD movies so I'm not experiencing any issues atm.. I will be receving my parts and the card in few hours. Oh i can't wait. :)

krupted

krupted

vista's media center has native codecs for watching dvd's and tv, and i must say the tv picture quality is as good as it gets. dscaler and purevideo are good for xp, but you wont use them if you go to vista. all im saying is dont pay for any codecs whatever it is you use...

dman777

dman777

Wow...I'm glad you brought that up because I was going to buy the PureVideo codec tommorow. Of course if I get Vista right away the Nvidia divers will most likely be buggy so I guess it is a catch 22.

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
Some massive number of Pics..

I do not know where to start. My pics are spread out all over the place. I guess I just start from one location. :D

7UY on the left. 9UK on the right.

TH50PH9UK

7UY vs. 9UK

TH50PHD7UY w/ SVGA

TH50PH9UK w/ DVI-D

TH50PHD7UY w/ SVGA

TH50PH9UK w/ DVI-D

Really really close call.

krupted

krupted

i dunno man, asians are pretty and all but i think the best pics of them are when their eyes are open like western girls

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
krupted, I know what you mean. I consider asian girls to be pretty, but with big eye of course. ;)

But that is not the idea here. What I am referring to is the "Picture Quality". Right now the HD availability is limited, so I cannot post "western" girls or animal donkies. Based on the HD source I have, and as long as it looks pleasing to the eyes, the pictures WILL be posted without hesitation.

Pics continued.... 9UK pics.

Lighting performance... the lighting was just right and I took the chance to shoot em. The pics were taken during bright day time too. :)

My portfolio. Art work.. ;)

These pics were tough to take. The amount of ambient light, the ISO and intensity setting on the camera, and the amount/level of lights emitting from the display had to be "just right" to get the best possible pics. Finally managed it and came out quite well. There's no false contouring in any of the light trails and still manages to resolve details in the shadows and behind the lights on the right portion of the pic. The ATi card does really good job in delivering details in the dark scenes and has smooth color tones.

Last edited:
dman777

dman777

I don't think it matters anymore which card is best HTPC. I went on the ATI site and it is now an integration of the AMD site. As much as I love Nvidia, I don't know if they can withstand a merge like that. Of course Time Warner and American On line was a disaster, but still...this is a little different.

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
I know exactly how nVidia ran on my HTPC and the ATi card. Both are nice, and are different. Each has its own strength. The nVidia had better contrasty picture and fruitful vividness/vibrance while the ATi provides better detail in the dark and silky smooth color tones when displayed on my plasmas. The ATi also had better options in programming the setting for each display independently. My previous nVidia GeForce go7400 did not offer that. I'm sure the newer model desktop version may do it.. but I think I favor the ATi overall. It's a matter of personal taste.

Also, in some video contents, the nVidia rending looked more pleasing to the eye than my ATi. In some other video contents I liked the ATi better. It's pretty much win-win situation. meow meow meow

BSHi 1080i

TH50PH9UK

Here's another art work..:D

Last edited:

Associates