What's the best card for HTPC? wrathchild_67, Help..

• Thread starter Advanced-Morgan-Duron
  • Start date
A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
or anybody. :D

I'm struggling here, can't decide which vid card to go with. It'll be used for HTPC using two 50" plasma TVs, mostly for viewing high definition videos and DVD movies.

What's the bestestestestestestestestestestest video card that will give me bestestestestestestest TQ(text quality) and PQ? Whether it's cheap or expensive, I'm after the visual quality. I need your input, wrathchild_67. You and others' opions will be appreciated.

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
I would like to have 1:1 pixel mapping if possible, but I also need something that generates silky, deep color tones and gradations. I know the ATi x800XT did that, but don't know about other ATi cards or the GeForce cards. I have a bad experience with the laptop's builtin GeForce Go7400 causing "vibrations" or "wobbling" on the plasma display, the texts or images doesn't stay put rock solid, it sorta wobbles and degrades IQ. I really hate that. I think it is possible it may have to do with the graphics driver since there are very few available for this video card's model. I'm concerned if the desktop versions of GeForce 7000 series have the same problem. I'm hoping not.

I need good quality viewing. Take look at some of my pretty pics.. (IamAnoobieCheez is me)

Last edited:
A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
anybody home :D knock.. knock.. bling bling. meow meow :eek:

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
You know, I'm on here a lot of the time, but not all of the time. Off the top of my head, I would recommend MSI's 7600GT with HDMI-HDCP output. It's the most powerful card you can get that doesn't require external power. It has high clock rates so it can do Purevideo acceleration better than even a 7900GT. ATi technically has the video edge right now if you're going by that Faroudja test, but nVidia keeps adding new Purevideo features with each new milestone Forceware release. To get something comparable to the 7600GT in an ATi card (meaning full video acceleration support up to 1080p), you'd have to get an X1800 or x1900 card which may give 3x the 3D performance, but also 2x the power draw and heat. If I were buying for a HTPC right now, the MSI 7600GT with HDMI-HDCP would be my choice.

My BFG 7600GT (standard reference design, no HDMI-HDCP) connected thru VGA on my plasma TV looks great. I just bought a DVI to HDMI converter connector so I could go fully digital with the display. I haven't been disappointed with even the VGA display.

Last edited:
A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
Hey thanks a lot wrathchild_67. I highly appreciate your reply. I find your statements very valuable. Yea I just got done reading a review about DVI compliance tests from online source and learned more about the quality differences with various cards.. very interesting, but i could only understand about 1/4 of it lol.

Well, I'm glad to hear. I think I'll go with the Rad x1900XT then since it will also provide me the edge in gaming too. I won't be doing much of it though, but some.. Mostly viewing high def videos.

yes I agree with you about the VGA part too.. the VGA(SVGA) can produce some *outstanding* pic quality.. All those pics I posted are from SVGA. great stuff..

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
krupted said:
word has been of late the 1900xt is the best bang-for-buck as well....
If it's anything like my x1900 AIW, it's a space heater. I have a micro ATX case for my HTPC and I just don't feel comfortable putting my x1900 in it. The voltage regulators get up to 100c during 3D gaming! The GPU gets nearly that hot too. The power draw is also immense. Even when I had my x1900 AIW watercooled, it would never run at lower than 45c on the gpu at idle. My 7800GT that I have in my water loop in my Core 2 Duo system runs at 31c idle, 38c load.

krupted

krupted

i was going to add, i meant best-bang meaning the relationship between cost and performance. in your case, and most htpc cases, i wouldnt recommend that much heat either. however, he wanted the bestestestest, remember:) youre right though, it would also be a noise concern too. you cant get enough air to cool a hot card without noise.

to be honest, when i make my htpc eventually i doubt i will worry about games either. your rule of thumb by going with the fastest available on native power is a smart way to look at a htpc card as these devices can typically be left on 24/7. with pc's that dont stop i hate to see any moving parts. also a reason i cant stand harddrives, so much mechanics in a silicon world it just doesnt gel

for games, i guess thats what x360's are for. sad but true

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
Do I have to have 512MB of video memory on my HTPC? Is 256MB enough for 2D?.. any opinions?

Last edited:
krupted

krupted

to say the least. however, 2d isnt going to matter much when you eventually upgrade to vista. that os needs a 7600gt minimally to run at full potential, i believe. either way, in about a year i bet you will upgrade to a dx10 card. a 7600gt would be a wise investment at this time in your situation.

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
All I need is a card that can give me good performance in gaming right now and support HDCP for high def. As long as it supports this, I don't need DX10. I thought the DX10 is more critical for PC gaming.. not 2D video? What is so special about DX10... Does Windows Vista require DX10?

Last edited:
wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Actually if Woodman19_99 had ever replied in this thread, he could've shed some light on how fast an 7900GS card that normally requires a power connector is when the power connector isn't present. It would probably be faster than the 7600GT in 3D, but by how much. The 7600GT still would have the Purevideo performance edge though because it is clocked so high.

krupted

krupted

it will be only another year or two before games go exclusively dx10. sounds like a shock but its the way all games been from every dx release....

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
Bought parts

I made up my mind and bought:

- Radeon X1950XTX 512MB CrossFire built-by ATi - $480
- ASUS P5B Deluxe
- Conroe E6600 Retail
- 2 x 512 G.Skill DDR2 800 Cas4 mem sticks
- Lian-Li Silver case PC-7A Plus II
- Antec TruePower-II 550w ATX
- DVI Blade for 50" Industrial Plasma
- DVI-D BetterCable

All for $1,647 w/ next day

Thanks guys............

Last edited:
A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
I spent too much already! :D

But seriously, thanks both of you. Both your comments are well valued. it's gonna get here Thursday. Oh I'm soooooooooo excited. :)

krupted

krupted

newegg is always right on time with their orders, should be perfectly ok to get excited. man how i hate other times when i think im saving money only to find i waste a week waiting for the stuff from some weird company...

dman777

dman777

I have a MSI Nvidia 7600GT and I am pretty happy with it for video playback through TV out. For awhile I thought I might do better with an ATI, so I bought one and tried it and took it back the same day. Since then I liked 7600GT alot more. I also recommend the PureVideo plugin...I've used Dscaler Mpeg and PureVideo and Purevideo gives a better picture(w/ Zoomplayer PRo).

A

Advanced-Morgan-Duron

your fadda
dman777, what type of video file were you trying to play? I'm talking about the ones that caused you trouble till you switched to Purevideo decoder.

dman777

dman777

It was a horrible experience.... the videos were movie DVDs. Specifically, movies that were made in the early 90's and before that were put on DVD had really bad traceing problems. At first it appears that the video is jerky, but after 2 weeks I realized it wasn't really jerkyness...when people moved around they left tracers makeing it look jerky. This wasn't a problem with movies on DVD for the within the last 10 years, but movies from 92 and before the problem was acute. I say it was a horrible experience because I kept thinking it was a driver problem and then a hardware problem and I kept switching around stuff and trouble shooting over and over(Includeing re-installing windows). Finally, after unlimited horrible hours and posting around forums with help no avail., I decided to try the PureVideo Codec and the problem was instantly fixed.

Associates