What would you buy to O/C a 2400+....

AMDnut

AMDnut

Small Form Factor Advisor
If you were going to buy a new motherboard for overclocking an AMD 2400+, what would you buy?

I've been looking at the Abit KD7-RAID, but the MSI KT3 Ultra w/RAID looks very nice to.

What would you get? The KT400 chipset of the Abit doesn't appear to be an advantage over the KT333 chipset of the MSI so they look pretty even. RAID will be two 80GB Western Digital "Special Edition" drives. Looking to hit 2.3Ghz-2.4Ghz with the chip hopefully...

What would you buy?

TIA! :D

Todd a

Todd a

The Gigabyte 7VAXP is the first board with a KT400 chipset that actually outperforms the KT333 chipset. Here is a reveiw:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1721

This thing is just loaded. FireWire, USB 2.0 RAID, Serial ATA, 6 channel sound, NIC, Dual BIOS...

The biggest drawback was that you can not chang the clock multiplier, but it does have good bus speed adjustments.

R

#Rotor

The Inventor
I personally, if money was not an obstacle, would go for the M762B

in fact i'd get 5 or six of them, and with that oh so lovely onboard gigalan have them all nicely clustered up into some U2 goodness...

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
I'm a little prejudiced by negative KT400 reviews too, hence MSI Ultra2 price/performance attractive to me, not to mention 1/5 PCI divider and MSI's known stability.

Good luck on choice!

Todd a

Todd a

Rotor, Um that board does not have an AGP slot. It would make a great server though.

I like Epox right now. The EP-8K5A3+ would work pretty good and is loaded up with pretty much everything.

D

dfgsd

personally i would like to see how epoxs nforce 2 board turns out.

personally i would go kd7 over the msi...you see much high fsb overclocks on abits than you do on the msi board.

kt400 doesn't have many upgrades but it does have the new vlink that is 2x as fast and much better irq routing.

and also mybe you should look at the msi kt4 if you really like msi

Todd a

Todd a

The nForce2 boards do look nice if they ever come out and perform as good as the samples sent to Anand and Tom's Hardware for the reveiw of the AthlonXP 2800+. They said the board was still in Beta and had a ways to go (lots of little bugs still).

The one that I am looking at is Shuttles SFF version of the nForce2. This thing is mighty and small. I just wish they could srink it more and ship it with a laptop sized CDROM (CD-R/W or DVD also) and drop the floppy drive. They could make it even smaller.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Smaller? Have you seen inside those things? It's pretty tight. Though I agree SFF is really cool looking. :)

AMDnut

AMDnut

Hmmm....

I just read the new Maximum PC, and they happen to test a new XP2800+. The rig they tested was a Voodoo that used the new MSI KT4 board. That is a little endorsement.....

Maybe I'll check out the KT4...... and the Epox does look good also!

Decisions, decisions..... ;)

Todd a

Todd a

Hey all I know is Epox somehow managed to make the fastest KT266A board out there. I Have been quite happy with it.

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
Read a blurb this AM at Amdmb in which they mention that IWill may have a KT400A coming out (no real details). Seems the "A" models usually clean up the problems. Gotta be more to follow.

Last edited:
X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
Wonderfully outrageous MF! Got to bump this so someone else can laugh as much as I did - thanks!

AMDnut

AMDnut

Hey Fallguy! Nice to see ya around! ;)

I said I've been looking at them, but I haven't bought one yet.....

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
Saw a couple of generalized articles this AM saying Via would put out KT400A end of 02. Trying to answer nforce 2?

R

#Rotor

The Inventor
Originally posted by AMDnut
I have been looking at the

KOOLANCE SYSTEMS

lately...... ;)
seems like you have a lot of money.... :D mind to stand a little closer... some might rub off on me.... :D [PUN intended]

Associates