What to get for $80?

pcpal

pcpal

I've been putting off getting a new card now for more than four months now it's time. I can spend around $80. I play games once in a while but since HL 2 and Deus Ex 2 is coming out I'll be playing a lot more. That's it $80...

phenix

phenix

If you're going to want to play HL2 and Deus EX2 i wouldn't recommend wasting $80 on any card on the market right now. I would either A: Wait until the Radeon 9500 series comes down to $80 or some other cheaper version of DX9 card comes out or B: Spend more money and buy a better card by selling that Geforce2 and adding the funds to your videocard pool.
I would highly recommend focusing on buying something that will support dx9 if you can stand to wait a little longer. those games won't be out for a few months anyway.

Last edited:
wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
The sad thing is is that he'd only get about $20 for that Geforce2. No one wants them anymore, I told my friend to do the same thing with his Geforce2 and then I went to eBay and saw just how low they were going for. The only way to up that resale value is to pawn it off to an unsuspecting friend/family member in dire need of an upgrade. Underhanded? I know. But hey, if you really want to be able to play the two best games coming out this year...

pcpal

pcpal

I wouldn't even get $20 for that card. No way not today! I couldn't even give it away. I have stuff for sale now that's almost free but still no takers. It's funny when one has hardware/software for sale and at a great price nobody ever buys it.

All I want is a decent $80 video card. I'm not looking to show up anyone with bragging rights about how fast or great MY card is. And I don't care about the "latest" technology x9yx85x or whatever.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
As has already been mentioned, it would be best to wait for a bit to see if the 9500 comes down in price, but I'm sure for $80 you could pick up a second-hand GF3 Ti500 or something similar.

I bought a GF3 Ti200 for £60 UKP, 2 days before christmas.

phenix

phenix

Well if you absolutely can't wait and you don't want to sell that videocard and 250 mb of that ddr and maybe wash a few windshields or shine some shoes then i would suggest maybe the radeon 8500(not the LE) 64mb version. You can pick them up on ebay for $80. The Radeon 9000, 9100 and 9200 would be next on my list.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

Amazon has Sapphire Radeon 8500LE 128MB, if it really is Sapphire then it should have core/mem at the speed of ATI Radeon 8500 retail and capable of good OC as well

here is the LINK

price is 80$

BTW most LE versions easly OC to retail anyway

Last edited:
pcpal

pcpal

Originally posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
Amazon has Sapphire Radeon 8500LE 128MB, if it really is Sapphire then it should have core/mem at the speed of ATI Radeon 8500 retail and capable of good OC as well

here is the LINK

price is 80$

BTW most LE versions easly OC to retail anyway
Thanks Falcon. I was looking at that brand of card at newegg. I'll never buy from Amazon again. They really suck when it comes to delivering ones goods. Is this the card?

Is that chipset better than Nividia?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-102-213&depa=1

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Originally posted by pcpal

Thanks Falcon. I was looking at that brand of card at newegg. I'll never buy from Amazon again. They really suck when it comes to delivering ones goods. Is this the card?

Is that chipset better than Nividia?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-102-213&depa=1
At default speeds it is pretty much even with its closest nVidia competitior, the Geforce3 Ti500. But when you factor in anisotropic filtering performance (very small performance hit compared to this same feature being unusable on a Geforce3 due to performance drops) and overclockability (both in raw MHz and ease of overclocking via the pencil mod) the 8500 is a better buy. The 8500 also has the edge at higher resolutions.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

yup it is the LE version but unlike Sapphire version which runs at retail speed of 250/250 this one runs at 250/200

however you will most likely OC it no problemo to 250/250 and even at default speed this is not at all bad card as wrathchild_67 mentioned allready

Oh and hopefully someone in US will come with some reputable internet store that also has Sapphire, though I must say I never had problems with Amazon (Europe) fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
pcpal

pcpal

yup it is the LE version but unlike Sapphire version which runs at retail speed of 250/250 this one runs at 250/200

however you will most likely OC it no problemo to 250/250 and even at default speed this is not at all bad card as wrathchild_67 mentioned allready

Oh and hopefully someone in US will come with some reputable internet store that also has Sapphire, though I must say I never had problems with Amazon (Europe) fingers crossed :)
I never had any problems with Amazon either up until my last order. I ordered three items and they sent two of them ONE MONTH LATER. That's how long it took. And the items were in stock too. One month to ship? they lost me.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

come to think of it a friend of mine had a problem with some books delivered when after a month or so they told him that his card was not valid, later they realised they (not him) misprinted expirey date :( and the books came after 2 month or so, still I had no problems jet and hope it stays that way :)

pcpal

pcpal

come to think of it a friend of mine had a problem with some books delivered when after a month or so they told him that his card was not valid, later they realised they (not him) misprinted expirey date :( and the books came after 2 month or so, still I had no problems jet and hope it stays that way :)
JET? who are you? Did you call me JET?

Todd a

Todd a

If you could stretch your money a bit you might pick up a GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB card like this Gainward one for $112 (no TV out or DVI). The memory is rated for 570Mhz, so it should overckock to 285/570 minimum or possibly 300/600 (the speed of the 4600):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-128-147&depa=1

There is also a PixelVeiw one with 128MB memory TV in and out and DVI out for $122. Not the best brand, but a good deal with video in, all the cables, and some bundled video editting software:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-108-109&depa=1

If you want , there is also a Gainward with 128MB DDR rated for 555Mhz (normally clocked at 444Mhz on the 128MB versions). It also has TV-out and DVI for $127:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-128-141&depa=1

I know this is a bit over your price range, but these are much faster cards. At $112 you will only need to scrape up about $30 (also all these price include free shipping). You might be able to get that much for your card. A TNT2 M64 runs $25 new and a GeForce2 MX runs $35. A GeForce4 MX 440SE just barely runs faster and costs $45-50. Used it should be worth $25-35 (especially if it has TV out). E-Bay might have them for only $20, but you need to pay $5-10 for shipping and it is likely a junk brand without TV out.

Last edited:
glussier

glussier

A TNT2 M64 runs $25 new and a GeForce2 MX runs $35. A GeForce4 MX 440SE just barely runs faster and costs $45-50
A geforce4 mx440 is much faster than a geforce2 mx. I had one for a while in my [email protected] and it was doing 7000 in 3dmark2k1, no way you'll get close to that with an gf2mx card.

Todd a

Todd a

OOPS! I thaught he had a GeForce2 GTS, not an MX. Yah $20 is about all you'd get. I'd wait if you couldn't spend the extra money. A Radeon 8500LE might work for you, but you really will likely be looking to upgrade again in 6 months. Just set aside $5 a week until you can get a better card. HL2 is supposed to be a Christmas release (I'll feel stupid if it is already out, but I don't track the games as much as the hardware). Set your upgrade for closer to that release date and get save up a little bit of money each week.

I used to have $50 a week going into a savings acount that went for my kid's pre-school, birthdays, and Christmas, but anything left over was MINE!!! :D Also after the credit card was paid off and money was set aside for the sommer's major vacation (Disney World last year), I got the rest of the tax returns. I did well this year. I got new speekers, motherboard, memory, CPU, heatsink, case mod stuff, hard drive, and wireless keyboard/mouse. All totalled I probably blew about $600 in the last 6 months. To think We only cleared $45,000 between me and my wife and we own a $120,000+ home and have 3 very small children (1, 3, and 5). Plus we are getting devorced and I keep almost everything (including a 60% custody of the kids). I will likely clear about $30,000 or so this year, but I figure I have another $400 to go in upgrades (new graphics card for my main machine and some mod stuff, sound card, and hard drive for my third computer) thanks to the new tax credit that passed. Then there's the new refrigerator and furnace I need to get this year. I'm just good with money, I guess. :D

M

MPervaiz

Hi,
I've got a Geforce3 Ti200 64MB for sale. Its a visiontek ecstacy, one of the rare samples that Overclock to Ti500 specs easily. The card also has a serial out. You can let me know if interested. The card plus shipping would fit right into you budget.
Regards, MPH

Todd a

Todd a

I guess that would be a good card too. NewwEgg has one for new for $79 (free shipping):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=14-128-111&refer=pricewatch

This is a GainWard Golden Sample with TV out and should overclock nicely. It will beat a Radeon 8500LE (especially when overclocked). Plus it looks cool with a read PCB and heatsink (including RAM sinks).

If you you want to look a bit harder I have found a few smaller places off PriceWatch that had iot for $65. This is one:

http://www.compuvest.com/web/Description.jsp?ItemID=1827

It has an older VisionTek one. VisionTek (I hope I got the right company) of course closed its doors for a while and sold out. Then it re-openned as an ATI only company, so you will not get any warrenty or support, but nVidia drivers are always being upgraded and for $56 plus $6.50 shipping is a pretty good deal for a new card.

glussier

glussier

A gf3ti200 is not faster than a ti8500. And, if you can overclock the ti200, you can surely overclock the ti8500 too.