What the heck?! My MB Ram dropped from 256 to 224 MB!

K

kress

I was surfing comfortably at this site and others, then my computer suddenly halted and when I reset my machine, to my amazement MB Ram dropped from 256 to 224 MB! Always when I started the computer (for the last three years) I got 262,000 MB Ram, now I only see 229,000 MB Ram. Is there something wrong with my Ram? Is there a way to fix it?

I can see that it's affecting my system. Any solutions to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance
kress

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
One of the individual modules on the chip could have died- you have an exact 32MB deficit from the full size of your RAM. 32MB is a typical size for a single RAM IC. You should try the stick in another machine and see if it is recognized correctly. Another possibility is that you have integrated video and ssomehow an option was changed to increased the amount of shared system RAM.

Todd a

Todd a

I had a 256MB stick drop to 1/2 the size. Called Crucial and they said that was pretty common. They replaced it no queastions asked.

Martin_89

Martin_89

Well as said it could be one of two things.

1. One of the chips on your ram has died, send it back if its still under warenty.

2. Your integrated video (if you have any) has eather enabled itself to share system ram.

Todd a

Todd a

I don't think shared memory would effect the memory count at post though. Likely bad memory. RMA it if you can or get new/better memory. 256MB is pretty cheap now adays.

N

nortsm

RAM

This may have something to do with onboard video. I am having the same problem. I bought a Soyo SY-P4GA motherboard. I tried 256 133 mem and 128 133 mem, both got the same results. I do not think it's the memory. I'm going to put a vid card in and see what happens.

Nortsm

N

nortsm

Ram

I have onboard video. The BIOS gives me a choice of 8, 16, 32, and disabled RAM sharing. I did not try the disabled option.

Nortsm

Martin_89

Martin_89

I know my mates Packard bell reports the ram as 224MB because he has 32Mb integrated Video

D

DuronClocker

My Abit BG7E says "248MB + 8MB shared video memory" or something similar to that. I've had systems where it doesn't say the "+ ?MB shared video memory" though and just recognizes it minus the onboard video.. Might want to check that option in the BIOS..

Associates