What sorcery is this?

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Just noticed the Windows icon in my system tray this morning.

Attachments

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Thanks, Huge. I got the same thing. I have been doing some trying out on Windows 10, but I am not sure I really want to change from Windows 7. I surely don't want to be too much of an early adopter even if I do make the change.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Got the notification as well but hid it for now, as will probably wait at least a few months until the dust settles before upgrading (after imaging my C: drive in case I hate it :p). My system is old enough I doubt I'll even get W10 drivers for it... I thought about upgrading my even older HTPC as a guinea pig, but the removal of WMC turned me off the idea for now.

glussier

glussier

I've already installed windows 10 preview on my 2014 Dell xps 13. On July 29th I'll install windows 10 on my 2015 xps 13 and give the 2014 xps to one of my grand kids.

I kept the 2014 xps, just for testing windows 10. I won't have any problem adapting to windows 10. All of my windows computers have been on windows 8.1 since the beginning, I had no problem getting rid of windows 7, as I will have no problem getting rid of windows 8.1.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

And I will likely change over-just not sure I will do it immediately. I am new to the later Windows interface. I do note that the preview has clean install and upgrade ability. I would likely upgrade rather than do a clean install for a variety of (software) related reasons, even though I know that is not the preferred route.

From a licensing standpoint, I am still a little unclear on what the effect of the upgrade would be. I am not sure whether upgrading essentially means that I surrender my existing Windows 7 license-if so, I am not sure what that would mean if I decided I didn't like it and wanted to go back to Windows 7. Like equinox3d, I plan on imaging my existing drive for safety sake.

Shinma

Shinma

jimbo1763 said:
...I am not sure whether upgrading essentially means that I surrender my existing Windows 7 license...
As it currently stands, yes. Bye bye to Windows 7 license.

Still testing Windows 10 on and off but plan to stick with Windows 7.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I've read that Win 10 includes a utility for reverting to the previous install. Following this intently because I have a new laptop with 8.1 that I have not used yet because of 8.1 -- haven't had time to deal with installing Classic Shell and updating.

glussier

glussier

As it currently stands, yes. Bye bye to Windows 7 license.

Still testing Windows 10 on and off but plan to stick with Windows 7.
No you are not, If you don't like windows 10, you can go back to either windows 8.1 or windows 7 no problem and no questions asked.

Shinma

Shinma

glussier said:
No you are not, If you don't like windows 10, you can go back to either windows 8.1 or windows 7 no problem and no questions asked.
Posted at addictivetips:

...This upgrade will be permanent meaning you cannot downgrade to Windows 7 again with your old license...

Makes no difference to me since I plan to stick with Windows 7 but may be of interest contemplating switch to Win10.

If anyone else has anything more current in writing, feel free to post a link for updating info.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I would much prefer to leave a window open if I am closing a door if I am not sure I will like the upgrade. That being said, though, Microsoft is working hard on the concept of one operating system that comes with regular updates, and closing off the availability of earlier OS's makes sense for the company.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Dang it. I've read somewhere if you didn't like W10 and you wanted to go back to 7/8.1, MS had a tool to do so (of course I can't find it).

Personally, I'm doing a full image backup; dunno if I will need it since I like 8.1/classicshell, but it won't hurt.

glussier

glussier

I got in touch with Microsoft on that matter. No, we won't be able to downgrade, meaning that we won't be able to uninstall windows 10 and get back to the original windows 7, but our windows 7 licence will still be valid, so that we will be able to reinstall windows 7 or restore a windows 7 installation.

Just make sure that you have a windows 7 dvd or a windows 7 image, because, you won't be able to download the windows 7 iso from Microsoft, as windows 7 is not sold by Microsoft anymore.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Yeah that's what I hoped, just wanted to make sure that if I make an image of my W7 install before upgrading I could go back to it :)

glussier

glussier

Nothing to worry about. To make sure you don't forget about the windows 10 free upgrade, you install windows 10. If you don't like it, restore your windows 7 image. For me, the process of restoring a windows image takes 10 to 15 minutes at most.

Associates