what htpc software

Weeboll

Weeboll

NO MONEY NO SKI
this is driving me crazy finding a solution i'm happy with. i want a media centre app so that i can use the tv in the lounge for dvd's, mp3's, picture viewing, net radio, tv listing and maybe the odd message reading. i don't have a tv tuner card at the moment - i live in new zealand where tv is broadcast on vhf not uhf so one won't work for most channels and i don't watch tv much anyway however

gbpvr requires a tuner to work, and sagetv 5, meedio, showshifter, xlobby are all failing to impress. sagetv doesn't run, xlobby crashes, meedio is now yahootv and only works in the states, showshifter requires too much work to get running as does xlobby. i could buy MCE i know but i'd rather wait til vista and spend the $$ there. has anyone got anyother suggestions for software to try please! linux not an option unfortunatly, i've tried to spend time using before and never comes about.

thanks for any suggestions

WB

krupted

krupted

i use windows mce 2005. its by far the best htpc software out there. no question in my mind. its just so much easier, and being built into the os really helps with speed and the integration with the rest of the system.

otherwise, take a look at cyberlink powercinema. it is supposed to imitate mce2005, and seems to well. i still like mce better though.

you need a tv tuner. im not even sure how you view tv at all without one...

Weeboll

Weeboll

NO MONEY NO SKI
mce not an option, vista will be but not here yet (hence not wanting to pay for mce)

tv tuner isn't needed cos i don't want to watch tv but i would like the other features of a media centre i.e. easy navigation via a tv screeen using a remote wonder from my sofa

krupted

krupted

oh. your video card doesnt have tv out then?

i know you said mce isnt an option but you really wont be happy with anything else like you will with it. you can also dual boot with a 30 day trial os and sometimes there are longer trial periods and sometimes they dont stop.

Associates