What did you use to do the PENCIL TRICK?

D

droppage

As soon as my new Vantec CPU cooler (6030D) comes in, im gonna pop off this Tbird 900 and connect the L1 bridges.

I've seen everything used from a conductive pencil, plain lead pencil, mechanical 0.5 pencil, all the way to using one of those "stickers" that you plaster on the chip which connects the L1s reliably.

Can anyone recommend the best method for success and longevity.....(ie, pencil with mechanical 0.5 pencil and cover with tape)..?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
-T-Bird [email protected] (9.0x 105) w/ Chrome Orb
-Abit KT7-Raid
-256mb Mushkin PC133 Rev3
-Geforce2 MX w/32mb SDRam
-WD40Gb ATA100 7200rpm HD
-SuperPower Landmark KS299 case w/300w PS
-Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW
-19" Micron LX Monitor
-RR Cable

D

droppage

By the way, I was in the middle of a warmup before a Quake3 Rocket Arena match when my system locked up. I opened the side of the case to find that the fan on the Chrome Orb was no longer spinning. What a piece of shit this chrome orb is. It's going flying across the room as soon as my new cooler comes in. Fortunately, i caught it in time and am using an external fan blowing in the side of the open case for my cooling till the Vantec arrives.

I can still surf and email but not gaming for me until the new HSF comes in. I also got some rounded IDE cables and some Artic Silver2 from www.Crazypc.com

Do any of you guys have any experience with CrazyPC.

Thanks.

------------------
-T-Bird [email protected] (9.0x 105) w/ Chrome Orb
-Abit KT7-Raid
-256mb Mushkin PC133 Rev3
-Geforce2 MX w/32mb SDRam
-WD40Gb ATA100 7200rpm HD
-SuperPower Landmark KS299 case w/300w PS
-Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW
-19" Micron LX Monitor
-RR Cable

AMDnut

AMDnut

Small Form Factor Advisor
I use a #3H pencil, works great! I will probably give the defogger repair kit a try next time though, it sounds like the perfect solution....... good suggestion flat-v8!

I have ordered from CrazyPC a couple of times and they are very nice to work with. No trouble and they have good, fast, reliable service. I order from them because they are located kind of close to me.

------------------
Duron [email protected] (115FSB*8x)
Abit KT7 RAID
256mb Crucial @ CAS2
(2)Maxtor Diamondmax+ 7200rpm ATA100 [email protected] 0
Hercules Prophet II MX 200/200
HP9110i Burner
Delta 50x CD-Rom

http://members.tripod.com/athlon100/index.htm

C

cyril1

I use the silver conductive epoxy by chemtronics and would definitely recommend it. I use it at work also and have never had it fail.

L

lunat1c

Damnit!! i just ordered that chrome orb, knew it was a mistake..

------------------
T-BIRD 1GHz 266 FSB
Abit KT7A
Crucial 256MB PC133 Cas2
Enlight 7237 Case
GeForce2 MX
SB Live! X-Gamer
WD 7200RPM 20GIG ATA-100
Maxtor 5400RPM 15GIG ATA-66

C

CALV

I also use the dtuff for repairing window demisters, need a steady hand and something fine to apply it with, I used a coctail sticl sharpened to a VERY fine edge, had to remove the paint a few times- have some cleaner (meths/alcohol) and some cotton buds at the ready.

------------------
Next time you wave, use all your fingers.

CALV

W

Wuzup101

I use a disposable BIC pencil with HB .5mm lead. Works great never had any problems. If your going to use pencil go over each connection for about 20 seconds so the lead gets worked in there. FlatV8 had a good suggestion and if you are going for a permant effect use his suggestion.

------------------
AMD Tbird (AXIA) 1Ghz @ 1395mhz w/ OCZ gladiator
Iwill KK266 Raid
384megs crucial cas2 @ 155mhz
Leadtek 32meg Geforce2 GTS Pro (220/415)
Dual 20gig IBM 60gxp Deskstars in RAID 0
Nec 40x cdrom
Sony 12x8x32 CD-RW
17" KDS Avitron flat screan (1024x768 @ 85hz)

G

GunFodder

I also used a disposable mechanical pencil. I went over the traces a few times and I didn't bother with tape or anything. I haven't had any problems for 6 months now.

W

Wuzup101

Yeah I didn't use any tape either. I have one of those cool shims on there but that's only been there for a week or so. Just to stop me from core crushin. You gotta go over the bridges a couple of times to work the lead in, if you don't it may work for a while but stability may be an issue. Just remember the nice thing about pencil lead is you can erase and return ...lol.

(What are you talking about...it just blew up...it wasn't my fualt!)

------------------
AMD Tbird (AXIA) 1Ghz @ 1425mhz w/ OCZ gladiator
Iwill KK266 Raid
384megs crucial cas2 @ 150mhz
Leadtek 32meg Geforce2 GTS Pro (220/415)
Dual 20gig IBM 60gxp Deskstars in RAID 0
Nec 40x cdrom
Sony 12x8x32 CD-RW
17" KDS Avitron flat screan (1024x768 @ 85hz)

C

cyril1

When I refered to the conductive Epoxy I did not mean the pencil. This is harder to work with in my opinion and does not do as good a job. Get the epoxy instead and mix it up. It will definitely be permanent and is fairly easy to use. Use magnification and verify no shorts with an ohmmeter before you install the CPU. You should do this no matter which method you choose.

Associates