What car do you drive?

Justintime

Justintime

Looking to get an RX7 or Nissan 200SX 1.8T, both long time wants of mine, mostly for fun and doin stuff on as i'm using public transport 99% of the time now. Almost bought a Saab 95 but it looked too 'old geezer car' for me lol.

M

Martin_89

Justintime said:
Almost bought a Saab 95 but it looked too 'old geezer car' for me lol.
not when its got 400bhp on the standard internals, saab and volvo engines are bullet proof lol

ive not got 130,000 miles and stuffs starting to go wrong regularly so the 2 options ive got is spend a lot replacing every part that needs done or buy a new car, insurance is killing me for anything faster tho so not sure :confused:

Last edited:
dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I do like the new shape Saab 9-3, looked at one the other day but it was the TiD. 125bhp in a big-ish car does not make for very good performance.

As you say, Justin, the old 9-5 looks a bit old man now, and the new shape just looks plain awful - what have they done to the front? It looks like it's wearing gold-rimmed glasses like Dame Edna Everage.

I'm looking around at the moment, have my heart set on an Audi S3 but don't think I can quite afford one unless it's very high mileage. Otherwise I quite like the Fiat Coupe 20v turbo, they give the same performance for less money but don't look quite as nice IMO.

Martin, I guess it depends how much you are having to spend on your Clio. There is the old saying 'better the devil you know' - if you change your car you could still buy a load more trouble - at least you know all your Clio's rattles and quirks. My friend bought a Passat last year and the cambelt snapped a month after he bought it! I think the garage told him it'd been changed when it actually hadn't.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
yeah I think most are these days. Cambelt was what I always dreaded breaking on my old Alfa V6, as apparently it's usual for at least 20 of the valves to need replacing!

Justintime

Justintime

Yeah any high compression engine really and most are these days.. warranty? did he have any proof they did'nt change it? That bills gotta hurt if not :eek:

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
well he went back to the garage where he bought it, and they had vanished into thin air!

So he called the RAC (who the warranty was with) and gave them the reference number, and they said that was an old, expired warranty and there was nothing they could do. So by all accounts, he was royally shafted! Not sure what the bill was but you can be certain it was four figures.

So you're after some Jap RWD action Justin? Go for the RX7, looks much nicer than the 200SX, IMO. As long as you can stomach those fuel bills ;)

Justintime

Justintime

Love the 200sx for some reason, no idea why! Drove both, 2 RX7s actually, 2nd and 3rd Gen and absolutely loved em.. could'nt gun either though with the traffic in North London.

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Guess I better introduce the new car then eh? ;)

Got rid of the 220 because this little beauty came up. For the money, I'd have been stupid to miss out on it.

From the front

And the rear

She was completely standard bar a backbox, so I swapped a few bits off the 220 including the alloys.

A few weeks later, I picked up a complete set of G-Max springs and shocks and fitted them over a weekend.

Sitting nice on the lowered springs

And again...

I also replaced a few of the worn suspension bushes with polybushes (will do the whole car eventually) and fitted a front and rear strut brace. It's actually quite a tidy handling car!

Had it on the rollers in May too, where she produced a very healthy 206bhp.

On the rollers

RR Graph

Allow me to introduce my Rover 420 GSi Turbo :D

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
tidy motor Andy, almost exactly the same bhp as mine too (got mine chipped by Revo last year, to give it an extra ~ 55bhp).

I thought only the Coupes were turbocharged, or is this a custom job?

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
What car do you have Danny? I seem to remember it being an Alfa?

The Coupe is the most well known of the Rover Turbo's but they also released the 220 GTi/GSi Turbo in 3 door hatch form (like my old one) and the 420 GSi Turbo, of which only 250 were produced.

Being the lesser known Rover Turbo, it makes for some interesting expressions from people in other cars who think they can "have you", lol.

Only paid £500 for the car and I don't have any intentions to sell it (no point really, I want to mod it and won't get the money back from my mods) so will keep it for a few years by which time it should be pushing out around 280bhp. I'll then either keep it as it is, or strip it and turn it into a track car.

The only thing that gives the car away is a tiny little 'Turbo' badge on the bootlid. I'm still in two mines whether to rip this off.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I bought an A3 1.8 Turbo a couple of years ago. It was quick but not quite as quick as I wanted, so I got it remapped from 150bhp to approx. 207bhp. :)

I quite like the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' thing too. I gave a guy in a Civic Type R a nasty surprise off the lights recently ;)

You got a bargain there anyway fella.

P.S. 280bhp through the front wheels could be interesting, some sort of traction control unit might be in order there ;)

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
dannyboy27 said:
P.S. 280bhp through the front wheels could be interesting, some sort of traction control unit might be in order there ;)

Torque steer can be very bad in front wheel drive cars with that kind of HP from what I have seen. Traction control is a must in those cases.

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
Just decided to open this thread for the first time, and after seeing the rants about BMW drivers, I guess I'll add that I drive a 2004 BMW 325i :p :p

Associates