What car do you drive?

krupted

krupted

Originally posted by chcr
Hey Martin, my question always is: How much better will this sound than your home stereo? If so, do you really spend more time in your car than you do at home? Just curious. I have an Alpine CD/MP3/FM with 20 watts RMS per channel and four speakers and it completely fills my Contour or my TransAm with music. *shrugs*

Get in a car with a pair of 15" kicker L7's at 1000w rms a peice coupled with a good set of comps all around, and see just how much music can really fill a car:D

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by MuFu
Bollocks, missed it. What was it?
This Weeks Highlights

Cadillac CTS-V

The Americans sometimes write to Top Gear complaining that we don't give their cars a fair test. So when Cadillac said they'd made a car with 'European handling' the office was a-buzz with excitement. An American pimp car that drives like a Eurobox? It was too much to resist. So Jeremy took it for a spin on the Top Gear track. Indeed, it seems that outrageous claims floating across the pond are accurate it is powerful with 400bhp, it will do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and it has a top speed of 163mph.

But, the problems with this car start with the build quality, it costs £45,000. So, you would expect some sort of care would be lavished on the inside. No, it's full of all the usual American man-made fabrics, and nasty plastic. Then there's the bonging, everything you do makes it bong. Turn the key in the ignition, BONG, undo your seatbelt, BONG, open the door, BONG! SHUT UP, please, just shut up!
and back to the car audio...
My pioneer head unit is 50W X 4 MAX (so thats what 27watts RSM X4? somthing like that) and on the standard renault speakers it sounds pretty good, nothing compaired to my hi-fi but better than any standard car audio ive heard, and thats only the head unit changed. im replacing the front speakers with a set of Pioneer components, and i might put in a sub but im not sure as french cars are crap build quality so everything will rattle and fall to bits!

Last edited:
dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I thought the standard Caddy CTS was pretty sweet when I saw it in the Matrix Reloaded a couple of years back. The CTS-V on Top Gear last night looked awesome though, in black with drug dealer alloys and mesh grille.

I'd love one, but I think the UK list price is £10k too high. (not that I would be anywhere near being able to afford one anyway :D )

So, when you installing twin 21" Infinity subs then Martin ;)

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by dannyboy27

So, when you installing twin 21" Infinity subs then Martin ;)
when i get a non-french car :D probably will get a 12" for this though, shouldnt be too bad, hopefully!

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
that should be fine, I used to have a 10" Sony sub, and 10" shelf speakers, and that was more than enough to perforate my eardrums !

M

Martin_89

the good part about the sub is that i can give it the bass rather than the front speakers because its them that make everything in the glove box rattle!

M

Martin_89

lol went into the local MotorWorld the other day to get an induction kit for my mates corsa. its hard to make out the sound in this video but it gave the engine a deeper noise, when reving it you dont really hear it though. ill get an in action video tonight when we're driving.
VIDEO

its only a 1.2 16V EcoTec engine so not that it sounds great to start with but you get the idea :D

EDIT: the uk guys will know the Citroen C4 advert on tv with the amazing song :D:D well it was on the radio this morning at about 10am and we had it playing from both cars really loud, we got a couple of funny looks from some of our neighbours later in the day :D Video

Last edited:
CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Martin_89 said:
EDIT: the uk guys will know the Citroen C4 advert on tv with the amazing song :D:D well it was on the radio this morning at about 10am and we had it playing from both cars really loud, we got a couple of funny looks from some of our neighbours later in the day :D Video
It's called Les Rythmes Digitales - Jacques Your Body :D

RDX

RDX

Proud H-Bomb owner
1996 Nissan Maxima GXE, black 5-speed

custom intake, y-pipe, b-pipe, UDP, Technosquare ECU, FSTB, KYB GR-2 Struts, H&R springs

It's my first manual, and I have to say that I'd never go back to an automatic.

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

Thread revival :eek:

Well I passed on Ford Cougar V6, which is just as well with todays fuel prices and got myself a new Hyundai Coupe.
Its showrom model 2004 and 2005 model had since a barely noticable facelift, so 04 was a pretty good deal, considering you get a new car with 3/12 warranty :cool: .

I still cant belive how sporty this car is, not engine wise, for that you need V6 model, but it handles beautifully. It scared me couple of times allready after getting into a tight corner and only then realizing I am driving 100km/h :eek:, not that the car cared, it just slides out of the corner as if nothing happend :).
BTW originally it comes with Kumho tyres, not good ;), but nice set of Bridgstone Potenza RE720 V tyres remedied the situation :cool: .

Some pics on a dirt road just outside the city:
Click 1
Click 2
Click 3
Click 4
Click 5

Will get some better pictures when I get to the coast, so to have a better canvas to play with :) .

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I wasn't so keen on the original Hyundai coupe, but the new shape like yours looks cool, especially in black, and with the spokey alloys :cool:

Personally I think you were wise to give the Cougar V6 a miss. I like Fords, and I looked at a Mondeo ST24 V6 when I sold my Alfa V6 (which had a serious drinking problem).

However, the Ford was just as thirsty as the Alfa, yet not really any more powerful than most modern 2.0 litre engines. Seemed like the worst of both worlds to me.

Last edited:
Ratt

Ratt

F_A_L_C_O_N said:
Will get some better pictures when I get to the coast, so to have a better canvas to play with :) .
The ones you've posted are very nice. Could you tell me what camera you used to get those pics?

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

I better make as many pictures now, couse who knows if those alloys will ever be so clean again :D
Color is dark mineral blue though, but sun was quite low and its digital camera, so it makes it look black.
Yeah and as you said V6 does drink.
I actually had one on offer, used Hyundai Coupe V6 with leather interior and all, but after talking to a guy I soon realized his fuel consumption was rather low for the simple reason, he only used the car going to coast and back and such, never in the city. For that he used his wife as taxi, or Taxi :p .
Then I checked some Hyundai forums and realized what you said, get stuck in the traffic and/or regularly drive into the city and you might just as well get to know your friendly fuel pump station guy, couse you will be married to him anyway :)

Oh as for camera its Nikon Coolpix 4800. Its kinda good at still stuff, but and this is really something especially Nikon should get :eek: about, its pretty bad at fast pace action, like sports, catching landing airplane picture from up close and so on, not to mention its quite slow getting from one shot to another. Zoom is 8.3x optical though and close ups can be great with some practice.

Last edited:
F

F_A_L_C_O_N

Last edited:
M

Martin_89

yeah they are the alloys ive seen, in that uk picture.

yours are really nice though, suit the car really well. cleaning nightmare though! lol

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

Something for Martin :)

Seen this one selling on a local car site:Renault Clio 3.0 RS V 6

BTW guy wants €13.500 for 2001 model, which in a way doesnt sound to unreasonable, considering you basically get true sports car with center mounted engine, 250HP and power to weight ratio of: 179.29 bhp/ton.

Associates