What car do you drive?

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Originally posted by dannyboy27
cheers, looks like I will be joining the VAG (as in Volkswagen Audi Group ;) ) family. How's your Golf proving for reliability Nick, are you still pleased with it?

The Audi should be quite a bit less thirsty than the Alfa. According to What Car, the figures are, for urban/motorway/combined

Alfa 17/33/24 mpg

Audi 25/44/34

Although the Audi is down 42bhp, it only has 7 lb ft less torque, and is 15kg lighter, so it will hopefully feel nearly as quick :)
The Golf is still going well, 2700 miles or so in now. Fuel economy is still great whether it's a long journey (50-60mpg), or even a 2 minute whizz to the gym (30+ mpg).

Been pushing it hard, and it's a great handler - very similar handling the the last Focus (which was great around corners). The ECS/TCS are foolproof too which keeps the thing in shape in the wet. With the Diesel engine, you get so much torque low down, so I've rarely had the need to take it even up to 4000 revs - so I guess the engine will stay throbbing for many years to come.

Oh, and turbo chargers - whether on a petrol or diesel, are awesome ;)

Nick

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Originally posted by CenturionStrategy

Oh, and turbo chargers - whether on a petrol or diesel, are awesome ;)

Nick
oh yeah. When asked whether I'm looking for a petrol or diesel A4, I've repeatedly found myself saying, "don't mind as long as it's got a turbo"

60mpg is amazing, by the way, especially as it sounds like you're not exactly 'Mr light-foot' ;)

Have you heard about the new Focus which Ford are developing? They want it to be the hot hatch to end all hot hatches - a turbocharged, straight-six with..........350bhp :eek:

check it

M

Martin_89

)
Originally posted by dannyboy27
Have you heard about the new Focus which Ford are developing? They want it to be the hot hatch to end all hot hatches - a turbocharged, straight-six with..........350bhp :eek:

check it
:eek: thats crazy! the hot hatch crown is finally going to be taken from the french if that goes to plan (clio 172/182, Saxo VTS, 106 GTi, 206 GTi 180, 205 GTi, Clio Williams, Renault 5 to name a few :D )

also Danny, goodluck with the alfa, new VW should be a nice machine, if it feels slower than the alfa then try getting it chipped if your going to keep it. like you said you thought about with the alfa.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Yeah 350bhp sounds hilarious. The last RS Focus was quite something, and this one sounds like it can live up to the RS badge. Crazy, crazy people over at Ford!

It's possible to get 75mpg on long journeys which I found astonishing - if you stick to 60mph, and brake only when absolutely necessary.

Diesels are great for your wallet - they pretty much run on air and kittens :D

digital-madman

digital-madman

Linux Supporter
1987 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
V-8 5liter 4bbl

Real American Horsepower... just don't ask me about gas prices. :D

-Digital Madman

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
Yeah 350bhp sounds hilarious. The last RS Focus was quite something, and this one sounds like it can live up to the RS badge. Crazy, crazy people over at Ford!
Yeah the RS was looks wise a STUNNING car but 215BHP is a little low for a 2.0 turbo, id want something like300BHP+ from one :) (Was the RS front wheel drive?)

But when I think about it even my 75BHP engine surprised me when a mate took me a run in it and redlined it through the gears :D but its now got me thinking about tuning it already :)

and look what my mum got yesterday, Images (click them to make them bigger, sorry for the poor quality pictures)

B

beerbelly

You'll find my weekend driver here:

http://www.moparspirit.com/mopar/index.php?showtopic=92

(ignore the gals at the top of the web site). That is my '68 Dodge Charger. Took me 14 months and $11,000.00 to restore it. I originally got the car for $4,000.00 about 6 years ago. It was gold and had a lot of rust.

I also have a 1971 Dodge Charger with a high performance 440 Magnum engine, but I'm currently trying to sell it. Don't want spend another $10,000.00 restoring it. You'll find pictures of it at the moparspirit web site too.

Oh yeah, I've got a Harley too. You can see it here:

http://www.moparspirit.com/mopar/index.php?showtopic=8

And for camping trips you can see our motorhome parked beside the '68 Charger.

Last edited by a moderator:
digital-madman

digital-madman

Linux Supporter
I should kill you where you stand!!!!

I want that charger!

I love the old muscle cars (why my everyday car is a 87 firebird)...

I love that car...for sale you say? I prob. can't afford it...but wow.

But seriuosly...i should kill you. :D

-Digital - Madman

(I am joking...BTW)

B

beerbelly

After having some local Mopar experts look at my '71 Charger and kind of appraise it I set the asking price at $12,500.00. But I will consider reasonable offers (whatever that means?).

B

beerbelly

Jeeezzzz Jankerson, you coulda bought my '71 Charger and saved yourself $10,000.00 or more.
:D

I also own a 1996 Dodge Ram pickup. It has a gutless 318 engine that's a gas hog. This is actually my daily driver, but luckily it's only one mile to my office so I only drive the thing about 4 miles a day.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Originally posted by modmidget
Jeeezzzz Jankerson, you coulda bought my '71 Charger and saved yourself $10,000.00 or more.
:D

I work for a Dodge Dealer so I got a HUGE discount. ;)

B

beerbelly

Well, OK! But I just hope your new Ram has more guts than mine.

Actually, if I sell the '71 I'm thinking about trading in my Ram for a 2005 Dakota. I see the new V8 in those things has 10 hp more than my 318 and maybe they get better gas mileage too.........

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Originally posted by modmidget
Well, OK! But I just hope your new Ram has more guts than mine.

Actually, if I sell the '71 I'm thinking about trading in my Ram for a 2005 Dakota. I see the new V8 in those things has 10 hp more than my 318 and maybe they get better gas mileage too.........
The 3.7L V6 has 215 HP. (That's what I have in my 1500 ;))

Yeah the 4.7L V8 has 235 HP.

The 4.7L V8 High Output has 260 HP.

M

Martin_89

Originally posted by jankerson
The 3.7L V6 has 215 HP. (That's what I have in my 1500 ;))

Yeah the 4.7L V8 has 235 HP.

The 4.7L V8 High Output has 260 HP.
260BHP from a 4.7L V8 engine!!!!! why cant american cars and trucks get alot of power from the engines? :eek: you could get 260BHP from a 2.0 16V turbo and it would use half as much petrol.

any pics of it jankerson? i seen one today acctually, first time ive ever seen a big american truck in real life, it was MASSIVE. it was parked 2 cars down from mine at the supermarket and it made my car look like a toy!

Associates