What car do you drive?

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Hey all,

So I guess this is the first serious post of Central Lounge assuming I've not been beaten to it. What car do you drive?

2005 VW Golf Mk5 1.9TDIse.

Martin_89

Martin_89

looking good nick, will be good to see what some of the american guys from here are driving.

well i cant drive yet but just got the car, a 2002 Renault Clio 1.2 16V in black

bidding on a set of 15" alloys for it now on ebay HERE

ill get some pics up of it soon

Last edited:
W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Well, I'll make my first contribution to the Central Lounge.

Currently driving a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T...

Once the warranty runs out, I'll se what I can do with it... even though it is kind of a "family sedan". But what kind of family ruggster has bright blue and red backlights for the instrument panel?

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Originally posted by Martin_89
i love the dial colours VW use
Yeah, that was kind of a draw for me. I know it doesn't do a damn thing performance wise, but it does look pretty damn cool...

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Since I'm older and fuddy-duddier than anybody else here ... the poor man's Volvo S80:

Eric

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
So egrevstad, how do you like that Ford 500?

I hadn't heard to many great things about it, but most magazines tend to have driven one tom any $80,000++ cars and are a little snobby about it...

MuFu

MuFu

yeah, 10X better looking than MY DIALS

MUFU, atleast its not the 1.0, they are terrible!
That is true, the 1.2 isn't a bad engine at all. We are looking at getting a new family car now - looks like it'll be a tossup between the new BMW 320D ES Touring or the new Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI. Never thought I'd see the day! :eek:

Martin_89

Martin_89

i take it a ford 500 is americas version of our Mondeo

and yeah mufu not a bad engine think its putting out the same power as mine, 75BHP which is ok for a small car.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Originally posted by MuFu
That is true, the 1.2 isn't a bad engine at all. We are looking at getting a new family car now - looks like it'll be a tossup between the new BMW 320D ES Touring or the new Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI. Never thought I'd see the day! :eek:
The 320D would be pretty awesome, but the Octavia is a damn good car too - especially with that engine.

Flick a coin ;)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
i take it a ford 500 is americas version of our Mondeo
I don't think it is -- like most European cars, the Mondeo is smaller and more fuel-efficient (Ford used to sell a version in the U.S. named Contour). The 500 fits between our Taurus and Crown Victoria -- as I mentioned, basically the Volvo S80 platform with cheaper steel instead of aluminum and a Taurus V6 engine. Car magazines here pan it because of its bland styling and less power than the Chrysler 300 Hemi, but mine is incredibly roomy and comfortable, perfectly capable of merging onto the highway, and gets pretty good mileage for a big all-wheel-drive car. I traded in a Mini Cooper for it, going from midlife crisis to midlife acceptance ...

Eric

Martin_89

Martin_89

i always think its funny to see the american cars which all have V6 engines etc and are all massive compaired to our little cars! but like you say its all the euro cars

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Our roads are bigger. In fact, most things are, here. I'll never forget my shock upon visiting the UK for the 1st time, and seeing that cars couldn't pass each other on your side streets. One of them has to pull over and let the other pass. In america that would result in a fatality, most likely.

Martin_89

Martin_89

lol thats just the normal here, its because we dont have as busy roads as you guys though.

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
I noticed the same when we were out in Australia. We rented a Ford Falcon - bit bigger than a Mondeo. Build quality was way below what you'd expect from a Mondeo, and it was a tad bigger. However it did have a brutal 4.0L V6 and was substantially cheaper to buy!

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
I should post here since its the first post and CS got the honors.

Well I still have the black 85 full size manual blazer when the last OT forum was here, a rebuild later after doing a thousand homes of setting up cable in customers machines in one year. Really runs better now than those days, think it was running on 6 cylinders as it hit its last legs. Now I can go up a hill no sweat and crunch other cars with speed, ha. :D

Associates