What brought you to HWC?

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Years ago, I started playing a little bit of online chess at Yahoo!. I'd normally played with folk I knew, but one day I figured I'd try my luck against anyone. Anyway, some guy pulls me into a game and we start to play.

He starts asking me creepy questions like, "do you like me?".

I thought it was a strange question, considering I was just up for a game of chess. So I just said something like, "i don't really know you."

He continued to pursue that line though, "do you want to get to know me? I want to get to know you..."

By this point, I was a bit WTF, so I just said, "mate, I don't really swing that way if I'm catching your drift".

After some startling revelations, he realizes I'm a guy. Long story short, turns out I'd left my Yahoo! avatar on a default setting (oops?) which was a female face, so he'd assumed he was chatting up a girl. Seriously though, what girl would actually not tell that guy to shove it?

I'd imagine the conversation would have played out something like this in his head:

"Hi there, do you like me?"
"OHMYGOSH YES!"
"Hey, I like you too! Lets hit it!"

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know more than a couple of women who don't let their gender be known due to gender prejudice. They feel they're taken more seriously if thought to be men. I don't like to think it's true, but it probably is.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

Ya go onto the MMORPGs and any girls get stalked and bugged on there.

I know on Guild Wars people will pay the girl characters to take all their armor off so they're in bra and undies and use their dance emote. One of my friends made a female character and raised money that way.

Flash

Flash

I really do not remember as it was about 9 yrs ago.
I do know that HC is the very first site I ever registered at.

I do remember that I just finished flashing my Graphic card's BIOS and "Flash" seemed like a good UN at the time. :)

Last edited:
P

Perce

Stu! You're still alive!! Cool :) I can remember why I came here, I was working for an Engineering company, beating my brains out over some Hardware/Software issues, took a look at HWC, did not find the answers, but at least found some people that would try to help.

It's been 10 yrs now, Hardware/Software issues still there, good job security ;), and HWC is still here. :)

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
September of 2000

I was reading one of Tom Shardwares blogs/editorials/reviews on the PIII where he was accusing Sander Sassen of lying. Included in the atricle was Sanders email address. I emailed Sander and mildly attacked him for not apologizing to Toms Hardware.... His reply is what brought me to HWC.

I have viewed Tom Shardware in a different light since.....

Last edited:
F

FuzzyBunnyFeet

Newbie joins in

I joined yesterday to post a question about choosing a PSU for a RAID project I intend to do.

I'm glad that forums like this one exist.

Now a question about etiquette/protocol: I have found an article on another forum which gave me useful information that I used to determine which PSU I will buy. I would like to post that information into the thread I created, but I'm unsure if a link to an article in another forum would be acceptable.

It really is a good article.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Now a question about etiquette/protocol: I have found an article on another forum which gave me useful information that I used to determine which PSU I will buy. I would like to post that information into the thread I created, but I'm unsure if a link to an article in another forum would be acceptable.
We do it all the time, and that relaxed attitude makes this a valuable place to share information and pick up tips.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The only time we object to thatis when somebody is continually posting links to the same forum. Then he's trying to drive traffic to his site, not trying to help anyone but himself.

Gato_Solo1

Gato_Solo1

Hmmm...I've been here for quite some time...I forgot my password for my original username (Gato_Solo), so I changed it. Been here since just before the Missy-Polaris-missile departure, back when I was in my unit's IT shop. Man, I'm old...:eek:

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
It was the day after Christmas in 2002 for me, I had just gotten a new KT7 mobo with some PC133 and I was having second thoughts. I should have listened to the advice! :)

Gosh, time sure flies.

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
Hey jimbo, it has been a long time hasn't it? I've been around but I don't have much time to play PC games, which was the main reason I started getting into computers. Now I find myself just hoping the damn thing starts up! :) Old age is already setting in. I still fiddle around a bit but without something to keep me upgrading my machines, the desire has waned.

I remember all the times you helped me out though, I certainly don't forget. Seems like things are a bit slower around here, eh?

krupted

krupted

honestly i think things are slower in every tech forum on the net. our government took away everyone's toy money so now all that cash we used to spend on computers now goes to gas companies and electric bills:(

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I think that so much guesswork has been taken out of hardware and software now. It used to be that you had to buy pretty specific hardware or you were going to have issues. Now you just buy compatible parts, put it all together, and the system just boots right up. Despite everyone's hatred of MS, Windows XP and Vista are pretty stable, and they do most of the work on clean installs.

For example, I have a $49 board, a $59 CPU, $50 of DDR2, and a $200 video card, and it booted right up on the first shot, Vista installed with zero problems (and updates itself while I'm away), and I'm playing games with nearly no problems. It's almost boring! :eek:

krupted

krupted

thats very true man.

we have already passed the golden age for the pc hobbiest. like the automobile industry from the early 1900's all the way to the early 70's, there was a good period where the technology was ever-changing and countless possibilities seemed to exist. but, unlike the auto industry, the golden age of pc's lasted about 15 years instead of 60.

oh well, its not all bad nowadays either. you can buy a car for a reasonable price that is 10x safer and more comfortable then previous generations, and like you said our pc's now usually work..

Associates