What brought you to HWC?

StuTheWise

StuTheWise

Southpaw'ed Member
I was just thinking about what brought me to HWC:

It was 1999 and I was trying to find information about the much ballyhooed AMD K7 processor. I was running a K6-2 400 and was putting off upgrading until the K7 came out.

That's when I stumbled across an HWC discussion about the very subject. Back in those days, a lot of the discussion centered on which was better, Intel or AMD. I'm glad to see the discussions have come a long way since then (not that I wasn't a major contributor to the flame wars that went on back then). My clearest memory from those days is Zakar accusing dmm of overclocking a potato chip (or something along those lines).

Anyway, I had avoided joining any discussion forums in those days because I figured I would probably never return and get any use out of my membership. But in this case, I absolutely just had to pipe in and say my part about the K7. And so I did. And now here I am.

What's your story?

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I needed help in installing a VooDoo 2 card for my son into a Compaq computer, and it was giving me fits. Just after Christmas, 1999.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

I learned about this place when I needed help finding a cooler for my 9800. :D In the end I stayed as Im sure you can guess.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I took apart a 486DX2-66 to id the motherboard and cards and after reassembly there is no response from the keyboard in the BIOS (hard drive has corrupted OS.)
That may have been my first post here in June 2000. I'd bought a 486 DX2-66 that wouldn't boot to Windows hoping for a backup computer I could play around with. It had been borked by a kid playing games, probably DOS games. The solution was likely just restoring the MBR, but I never got that information at Computing.net. By the time I came here it didn't see the keyboard. Never did get it running.

StuTheWise

StuTheWise

Southpaw'ed Member
Good ones you guys! DanceMan, your reply got me wondering what my first post was. I may have lied about my story based on what I found. The earliest post I could find was Feb. 4, 1999 where I responded to a question about overclocking a Pentium 200. I guess I was only reading up on the K7, not actually participating in any discussions about it.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Join orginally back in 1999 or 2000 mainly becuase I was building new systems for my gaming cafe (iGames) and need recommendations and ideas. Went MIA for a while but I'm glad I came back! :D

Also still have a old account on here, Gaming Guru, from 2001, again back when I had my gaming cafe. ;)

Last edited:
ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I found this place back in college when I was trying to figure out what graphics card was best for my money. I was considering such things as an ATI Rage128, a TNT2, the Voodoo3, and even the S3 Savage 2000. :D I ended up finding a V3 2000 at Circuit City on sale and took it home. A few months later, they became property of nVidia. :eek: I still have the V3 in a parts bin, modded and all.

However, it wasn't until 2001 I joined, as I just had to get in on the controversy of the AthlonXP's model ratings. Oddly enough, I didn't buy my first XP CPU until much later. My posts were fairly worthless back then, but I'd like to think I've learned a lot since then. :)

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
A friend of mine showed me the site when we worked together and I browsed it for a few months before I joined to help people out.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

ThreeOnTheTree said:
I found this place back in college when I was trying to figure out what graphics card was best for my money. I was considering such things as an ATI Rage128, a TNT2, the Voodoo3, and even the S3 Savage 2000. :D I ended up finding a V3 2000 at Circuit City on sale and took it home. A few months later, they became property of nVidia. :eek: I still have the V3 in a parts bin, modded and all.
My first threads were asking pretty much the same thing, and I bought my V3 around a month before they went off the shelves too. Really glad I didn't get the Savage or M64 :D

nukunukoo

nukunukoo

Assembly Language Poet
For me, it was OneEng.

Back in August when DailyTech posted an article about AMD's Barcelona, I posted on the comments that by reviewing the architectural specs, the realistic expectations of its performance would be around 5-10% slower than C2D, not 15% faster as some diehards claimed without doing a more objective research.

Suddenly someone posted a comment questioning my objectivity and claimed as fact that the expected performance of the desktop model would be around 15-25% faster, which is so unrealistic. Plus the fact that he relies so Much on the Sandra Memory benchmarks as the definitive measure of all things CPU quite unusual. Being also in IT, I was curious as to how can one come to such conclusions, thus my discovery of the term "Fanbois". I replied that the best way to prove him wrong is to wait for the actual benchmarks.

BTW, I use both Intel and AMD systems.

I guess most of us know who that person is, OneEng. After much googling, I saw the threads OneEng was on and joined in (HardwareCentral). That's when I had the opportunity to question his technical logic, but alas, most of the members did most of the rebuttal for me. :p

Don't get me wrong, I do find some of OneEng's post insightful and I'm glad I joined in other forums especially getting info on why my Q6600/8800GT512 won't clock as much as I want to. And I believe HWC has the most number of female posters here as well.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

nukunukoo said:
And I believe HWC has the most number of female posters here as well.
It's rare that I ever see females on here, and usually they're the 1 thread problem posters and they vanish forever. :D This forum is flooded by guys, as most technology forums are.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
Females are probably in the habit of not mentioning their gender, lest they're singled out and inundated by unattached (or not) guys pampering them, defending them and being "extra" nice to them, aka: seedy.

If I recall, I did an AltaVista search (yes, there was another search engine, other than Google!) for a particular problem I had in 1999 (incidentally, the rash has cleared up :p), got the answer but discovered there were other questions I could answer, so I joined up and helped out.

nukunukoo

nukunukoo

Assembly Language Poet
Bink said:
Females are probably in the habit of not mentioning their gender, lest they're singled out and inundated by unattached (or not) guys pampering them, defending them and being "extra" nice to them, aka: seedy.
Possibly, but in my case, I was getting replies and expletives that were "phallic-centric" which didn't go well with me. That is why I emphasize (only when appropriate) that they could be talking to the opposite sex. Make no mistake, we can express ideas on very level grounds but would prefer more objective chatter as much as possible especially when it comes to tech terms. We really don't need any leverage.

Besides, can you REALLY be certain that I'm female? :)

Last edited:
Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
nukunukoo

Besides, can you REALLY be certain that I'm female? :)

I can't find the article I found it in, but I read some survey statistics that indicated that the majority of "females" online are actually males, posing as females. So I'm inclined to assume everyone is a dude unless it's pretty blatantly obvious :p

If I find that article, I'll be sure to post it, was pretty interesting.

nukunukoo

nukunukoo

Assembly Language Poet
Bink said:
I can't find the article I found it in, but I read some survey statistics that indicated that the majority of "females" online are actually males, posing as females. So I'm inclined to assume everyone is a dude unless it's pretty blatantly obvious :p

If I find that article, I'll be sure to post it, was pretty interesting.
Kewl, that would be an interesting read. But hey! the opposite can be true as well.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Bink said:
lol. I work in a predominantly male office, and pretty much any woman under the age of 45 is flooded with visitors all the time. There's a female in the cube over from me, and I can't count the number of people that come over to chat with her that never even acknowledge my existence. One time, I was walking out the door with a female coworker, and this one guy ran around the corner to catch up and said goodbye to her, but said absolutely nothing to me! It's sickening sometimes. :p

StuTheWise

StuTheWise

Southpaw'ed Member
I remember the cover story from Yahoo! magazine (yeah, remember that?) that read On the Web, You Can Be a Dog and Nobody Will Know, or something along those lines.

It reminded me of the time I was in a chat room and some guy started a private chat with me. He asked my if I was a girl, so I said, "No, but how about I just pretend you're a girl, and you pretend I'm a girl?"

He responded with, "NO!" and got the heck out of there.

nukunukoo

nukunukoo

Assembly Language Poet
StuTheWise said:
I remember the cover story from Yahoo! magazine (yeah, remember that?) that read On the Web, You Can Be a Dog and Nobody Will Know, or something along those lines.

It reminded me of the time I was in a chat room and some guy started a private chat with me. He asked my if I was a girl, so I said, "No, but how about I just pretend you're a girl, and you pretend I'm a girl?"

He responded with, "NO!" and got the heck out of there.
LOL! Gee, I hate to wonder what would have happened if he said "YES!"

Associates