We're all gonna DIE

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Just last Sunday the Discovery Channel showed a BBC docudrama (like its recent "Pompeii") called "Supervolcano," but that one blamed Yellowstone. ("The crater atop Mt. St. Helens is about 2 square miles. The Yellowstone caldera is some 1,500 square miles. The last major eruption at Yellowstone, some 640,000 years ago, ejected 8,000 times the ash and lava of Mt. St. Helens.")

Tagline: "This is a true story. It just hasn't happened yet."

krupted

krupted

well if something like that happens we are all dead anyways, so i wonder why they even try to forcast it

not to mention they say there are astroids out there that would only give us about 2 years notice if they came into our path. That is not enough time to redirect the rock, by means of powerful lasers and redirected sunlight to slowly push the astroid off course.

Nuclear weapons are pretty much ruled ineffective due to the size of these deadly meteors, and even if we could blow them apart, all that mass is still headed towards us just in a few more peices.

the only chance the human race has at survival is expansion to other planets. If not in our society, maybe future ones thousands of years from now will be able to conquer the universe, cause after all we now know the earth is not the only habitable place, there are millions of destinations out there- the technolgy just has to catch up

Skywlkr79

Skywlkr79

Grand Poo-bah
BBC docudrama ... called "Supervolcano,"
There was an actual documentary (not the drama crap one) on exactly the same topic, saying exactly the same thing. It was much nicer than the docudrama.

Any time the supervolcanos are mentioned, they're all going to erupt "any time now."

New scenario -- All of them erupt simultaneously. 65 million years from now, the Mole People, the species that rules the earth, will discover that "the Humans and Dinosaurs were both wiped out at different times by meteor impacts that launched dust and ash high into the atmosphere and changed the climate."

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
It's already happened.

I saw a fascinating documentary on either History or Discovery. A reseacher checking out something to do with King Arthur (missed the first few minutes of the show) was led to ancient small shelters in Ireland that were clustered together in an odd manner.
Dating them via tree ring data led to the discovery of several years (400ish AD?) so cold it actually froze in summer. Further investigation found this was widespread around the world and despite extremely few written records from those times, found a few accounts of what we know as a nuclear winter.
Ice cores were taken to search for isotopes (asteroid) or ash (volcano). They found ash.
Ultimately they suspected Krakatoa, a far larger eruption than the Krakatoa explosions we know from more recent centuries. A (ground penetrating radar?) scan found a massive depression underwater with some of the current Krakatoa peaks/islands at the edges.
They lucked out at an exposed cliff face and found some carbon to date. There was a Krakatoa eruption within a window of the date. I forget the date now, but they knew the exact year, and I think even the day.

M

MetalGod

SUPERGONZO
Now just remember...mankind is bigger, badder & smarter than ma Nature. We can change the planet just by using a few automobile engines & powering our computers. What are we worried about?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Originally posted by MetalGod
Now just remember...mankind is bigger, badder & smarter than ma Nature. We can change the planet just by using a few automobile engines & powering our computers. What are we worried about?

Well compared to Mother Nature we are nothing, and we can't do anything to stop or control what she does.

I say if it happens it happens, as there is nothing we can do about it.

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
Since nobody can predict eruption or next asteroid hit in size I'll go with a couple of psyhics, one who predicts eruptions who said yellowstone is going to turn into a sinkhole, the other one said nothing is going to happen in the forseeable future.

Another with the 2012 end times based on aztec calender or whichever civilization that was said that the calender was never finished so that 2012 means nothing.

Just to throw out the far out angle.

M

MetalGod

SUPERGONZO
Originally posted by jankerson
Well compared to Mother Nature we are nothing, and we can't do anything to stop or control what she does.

I say if it happens it happens, as there is nothing we can do about it.
Now, now, now...be careful...The libs & the eco-terrorists might hunt you down for that kind of backward thinking. Remember Kyoto!!! :gag:

Skywlkr79

Skywlkr79

Grand Poo-bah
I was just watching a show an hour ago about the Aztec calender. I guess they were right. They predicted the world would end in 2012 when all the volcanos would erupt.

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
And thats where this guy I read about came in after researching to make his conclusion theorizing that it wasn't finished possibly because of the extinction of those that made the calender.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
(Are you guys clueless?) ;)

We are all going to die; it just depends on how...

Feel free to search on how...here

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Here's a thought: Did anyone ever realize that ANYONE who eats carrots will die? Even one carrot. Just one, and you will die. Gosh, this is scary.

Skywlkr79

Skywlkr79

Grand Poo-bah
Originally posted by The*Q*
Did anyone ever realize that ANYONE who eats carrots will die?
It's also just as lethal to not eat carrots. If you never eat a single carrot, you'll be dead in a good 70-100 years.

The only things more lethal that eating or not eating carrots are breathing and being born. Both will kill you in about the same amount of time.

Last edited: