WAY over my head questions....?!?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
OK, what I want to do is fairly simple in principle, but I have lots of complications, and this is something I do not deal with so I am clueless!

We have DirecTV, not high def, but it's a DVR. What I want is somehow to run the DVR signal to both our TV and my PC and have the feed synch. I tried using the composite on the TV and coax to a TV Tuner card in the PC but it was out of synch and the two are close enough together it just made insane barely intelligible racket. I was thinking the easiest way would be to run a splitter off the output (coax), to both the PC and TV, but I was somewhat concerned with signal loss, but this presents another problem.

Since this was first attempted I have switched from XP to Vista. I bought this wonderful and at the time expensive ATI 650 TV Wonder (PCI), but as far as I can tell ATI offers no support for Vista and last I checked they said the will not offer any, ever. The software can be installed and run on Vista but it crashes constantly and it is not worth it. I really have little understanding of TV Tuner cards, and all I want is to be able to easily use the PC as a TV when needed, and if need be be able to run it, and the TV simultaneously without an echo effect.

I am really pissed at ATI and the way they name their Video cards I am about to never buy an ATI product again because it's rocket science trying to figure what I have, and how it compares to Nvidia stuff which has some "logic" at least enough I can figure it out, and perhaps harder still to figure how it compares to other ATI stuff. The insult added to the injury though, is them not supporting Vista with this tuner, it's damn near inexcusable! I would love third party software if I could get it free, and if it's cheap I still might like it, otherwise anyone want to buy the card?

I got one other problem to add to the mix too! I have a micro-ATX board with two PCI slots and my video card is so big it blocks one. If there was a relatively inexpensive way to do it and get rid of the tuner card, I am all ears, because there are other things I could use the PCI slot for.

So if anyone had any ideas I'd be very appreciative to hear them!

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
how come i can't use HTML LINK.... <a href=" </a>

to insert a link?????

example....

<a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8548832&st=slingbox&type=product&id=1188561003217"> SLINGSHOT </a>

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
WAY too spendy, and I am sure way more than I need, but thanks for trying!

When I say out of synch it's like the composite is one second behind the coax output.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
one second out of sync b/t the video and audio sync, or out of sync b/t what's shown on the TV and computer???

if it's the TV vs. computer sync, what's the big deal especially if ur in different rooms... but if they're next to each other i can see the frustration; but again why bother having both of them next to each other?.

now, if it's an audio/video sync issue, then u really have problems... and yes this drives me nuts, seems to happen more with HDTV channels where the lips and audio are out of sync/phase

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
It's the TV and computer out of synch. The trouble is the TV and computer are on oppsosite sides of a wall not 3 feet from each other. I am sure if I could find a way for the composite out on the DVR to go into the computer, or split the coax into two I probably would have no synch issues, it's only when one output uses composite and the other coax.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
ok... understood. but WHY is that an ISSUE.

the only issue i see would be with LIVE SPORTING events, in which the person watching with the 1sec delay would hear the other guy scream when his teams scores a touchdown or throws an interception, etc!! otherwise, i really don't see an issue with the sync (unless of course volume is up high and you hear the feedback/echo).

just my 2cents, which isn't worth much.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
The issue is if I am watching in one room and my old lady in the other you get an echo effect, and it's is impossible to watch for either of us. I don't know how I can be any plainer. The only possible way we could handle it is one of us wearing headphones and that is just not an option. I guess you would have tostart the same video on two compters one second apart and tell me if youh can handle it. If you can then you are some kind of superhuman. Geez just try and take my word for it if nothing else ane stop worrying about the problem, and see if you can think of a solution!

I never imagined this would be so damn hard to explain!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I think I botched explaining this, because they had trouble with it on Anandtech too, so let me try again....

I can get the Computer to work as a monitor by running coaxial cable, (of which there is only one output on the DVR) from the DVR to the tuner card. The I used the composite, (yellow, red, white) in to the TV, since the TV has both coaxial and composite inputs (no s-video or anything though). When both are playing a show one is a second behind the other and the TV and computer are on opposite sides of a wall (a small bedroom off the living room). So it is impossible to run both without hearing both, in both rooms, and it's would probably drive the average person legally insane within an hour of trying to watch TV like that!

I am betting, that if the composite could go out to both the TV and PC, there would be no synch issue and I also would be willing to bet the same would be true if both were fed by the coax and a splitter. I could be wrong but all I am trying to figure out is what possible options, (cheap as possible) might resolve the issue?!?

I am sure a two into one coaxial splitter is the cheapest option, but I'd rather not even have to buy one if someone could tell me if it had any chance of working or was unlikely to first. I also would like to know of any other ways, (even if more expensive) to run the output of a DVR into the PC without the damn TV card since I have no PCI slots.

It would also be the cherry on top to have some ideas on how the TV card could be made to work with my legally licensed copy of Vista.

Thanks again, sorry I am so frustrated. It's not personal, and I do appreciate your help immensely.

whutsupdoc

whutsupdoc

Master of my Domain
buy a splitter... less than $10 (for a good gold one)!! and since ur not running a cable longer than 25ft, the degradation should be minimal.

also.... if u look up a few threads, i mentioned the ECHO effect as well, and yes that would drive the average person nuts....... so don't get ur panties in a woad that i didn't understand.... i understood

u want a better solution than that, they have a WHOLE HOUSE DVR that verizon FiOS, and comcast sells, to transmit the signal to every tv/monitor in the house... now i don't know if DirecTV has this same technology yet, but u can ask them.

if ur really really really need professional help ask these guys @
www.satelliteguys.us they'll have ur true solution

now relax!!!

Associates