Want To Buy A PS3? How Long Until You Can Afford It?

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
I'm broke as can be right now, never owned a games console, I managed to buy a PSP this summer, not too bad for £100 really :eek:.

I get £80 a month (like I said I'm broke) So IF I were to wait until the PS3 price came down by about £50-£100, it would take me, an impatient person... 5-6 months of saving until I can afford one :eek:... Thats like asking a fat person to give up chocolate biscuits for 6 months!

Whats your situation?

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I don't see PS3 coming down a whole lot in the first year, maybe even 2. The XB360 hasn't dropped yet, and it's approaching 1 year. Me? I sold my notebook a while back to get my XB360, so I'm past the big expense. I went with the Premium model, and bought a second wireless controller, so the only thing I spend money on is games. I won't pay more than $30 for a game, and many of the original titles are now at that price point. Next gen' on a budget. :cool:

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
Haha... My bro told me the PS3 games will be £70+ each! But places like Play.com have a few PS3 games on pre-order for £50...

I don't really like XBOX, I'm more of the Sony man... Most of my electronics are Sony come to think of it :O

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

PS3 is way out of my price range. No way I will ever be able to afford it :D And there are lots of things that may make it not do so well unfortunately. Xbox 360, I just dont really like it. Nintendo Wii Im starting to really like, except it's name. Why didn't they stick with the cooler sounding revolution?
But there are already good games coming out (Zelda). And I like how nintendo is out there trying something new (controller). And they didnt go all out on hardware to get a decent price (250).
I plan on getting one for christmas. Im gonna miss having my parents buying me all this stuff when the day comes I become 18 arent I?

Oh and dont misunderstand me. If I had a choice between PS3 or Wii, and they were same price. I would go PS3 :D But I just cant afford it.

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
ELF2000 said:
I can't afford a PS3 when they come out. More of a computer games man.
So was I... So was I... Then came a point that all the games I wanted to play moved to PS2! Couldnt afford one then and I can afford one now :confused:... lol But I just bought myself (well preordered) a 14-Disc Superman DVD box set for my 21st birthday *cough* December 2nd *cough*, so thats £50, which is about the price for a used, good condition PS2.

But I'm the kinda person who knows what he wants, and I always make sure I get what I want! PS3 isn't out here until March, so they won't have good stock available until April at least, that gives me time to scrap every last penny into my savings account :p

Tuxy

Tuxy

I'm waiting for Gran Torismo to come out. By then, I should be able to pick one up no problem. 2008.

krupted

krupted

in the meantime, have you tried TocaRaceDriver 3 for PC? imo, the best racer on pc. Absolute fun!

thaclassikz

thaclassikz

Noobie Tech
Don't buy the first batch of PS3!!! They'll be problem proned just like the xbox 360 when they first came out.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Meh, I think the original XB360 issues were overplayed. Besides, MS has even offered free repair on the earliest batch of 360s. If there was a standout issue, I'd imagine there would be a recall. I grabbed the 3 year extended warranty for $49 when I bought mine. I figure it's a worthwhile purchase since I plan on keeping it that long, and there's a decent chance that something might fail in that time. I use my 360 quite a bit, and not just for games, but also for DVDs and MP3 streaming.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

krupted said:
the xbox 360 is absolutely awesome. what dont you like about it?
Im just not much into its games. Anyway, I usually dont like the controls for the types of games I like on there.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I've never really been into consoles either, probably because I'm an FPS wh0re. I wouldn't even entertain spending £400+ on a PS3, never had much luck with Sony products anyway in terms of reliability.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Building a Sixth system for my Lan Gaming Table so you pretty much see where all my gaming (hobby) money goes! That and having a 4 yo and a 22 month old in the house keeps me from getting a console system right now though the 4 yo enjoys playing on my comps (Crashday, online kid games) while the 22 month old would enjoy destroying them if given the chance, lol, which is why I have a wall dividing the gaming area from their play area.

Maybe in a few years I'll buy a console, but I'll probably wait until the boys decide what they want (and if I'll actually get it for them) which means I'll probably be buying the Xbox 1440:)D) or PS6:)D) as my first console.

krupted

krupted

thats gotta be pretty cool though, having your own online lan room. i cant imagine keeping 4 or more pc's up-to-date though, that has to cost you an arm and a leg. i did notice that you need to upgrade all of those screens to lcd's. the power-savings alone will justify the cost alone. ;)

E

ELF2000

It would be cool to have your own online lan room. yeah it would cost a arm and a leg keeping them up to date. You use the lan room offen?

E

ELF2000

PrinceOfPersia said:
So was I... So was I... Then came a point that all the games I wanted to play moved to PS2! Couldnt afford one then and I can afford one now :confused:... lol But I just bought myself (well preordered) a 14-Disc Superman DVD box set for my 21st birthday *cough* December 2nd *cough*, so thats £50, which is about the price for a used, good condition PS2.
I use to like the game Driver which was available for the PC and Playstation.
when Driver 2 came out it was only for the Playstation and PS2 (i think), I didn't have enought money to buy one so I went without. :)

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
ELF2000 said:
It would be cool to have your own online lan room. yeah it would cost a arm and a leg keeping them up to date. You use the lan room offen?
Everyday, posting from my new comp here (AMD X2 4600, ECS Elitegroup Nvidia 4 Ultra mobo, Nvidia 7600GT 512meg PCI-E video card, 1 gig of Patriot Extreme Ram, Samsung Lightscribe 18x DVD burner, Ultra case with side window (UV blue), Ultra 500w power supply with UV rounded cables, gigabyte heat pipe cpu cooler (biggest I've ever used) and misc items including blue uv light, and case fans with blue lights). And yeah it can cost some bread, I held off updating too much, but looks like with newer games requiring more power (Gothic 3 holy crap!) it leaves me with no choice. Couple of buddies came over today to help and watch me build the case along with drinking my beer so we're all hanging out now on the lan table.

Funny thing is, even with just the five comp, my heating bill has been fairly low this month. :D

G

Gaikotsu

Krupted knows my stance on the Ps3 so I won't rant too hard here ;).

Seriously, if it was a well made system I wouldn't trash it so much. I just want all the hardcore gamers to sit and think aobut something for a second:

"WHY does it NEED to leech processing power from other PS3s?"

The Xbox 360 doesn't need to? Nintendo Wii doesn't need to? The graphics that I have seen the PS3 do isn't any better than XBOX 360 or Nintendo Wii.

Why the agressive price? What's SOoooooo expensive on the PS3?

I shall give you some answers. The original prototype for the PS3 had 13 PS2 CPUs. At that time they figured the system would cost about $1,500 to the consumer. To cut costs they developed the 'Cell' processor to get those 13 processors by leeching from other PS3's on thier network. Also, Blue-Ray disc players are at thier cheapest around 1,500 dollars as well. So the majority of the cost is due to the fact that it has a Blue-Ray drive. In addition to that, the games are so expensive because Blue Ray Discs are expensive to produce.

Be that as it may, I am just concerned that the software will not be playable natively on the PS3. I beleive you will have to be conencted to thier network to play your 70 dollar games. Madness. So what if they also decide to charge for network access? For people on a budget, it certainly doesn't fit the bill.

I think Nintendo has got it right this time. It's reasonably priced and it ONLY plays games! It doesn't play CD's, DVDs, or HD-DVDs. Its a gaming machine. It is also backwards compatible to the gamecube. A first for Nintendo.

Xbox360 is just plain awesome. Its the cheapest HD-DVD player out there. The games are spectacular looking.

I just think people who have been saving thier money for the PS3 will be sorely disappointed. If anything, wait a few more months after it's release and read all the press. See if it lives up to the 'legend.' It can hurt to wait, hell you've waited this long! If it turns out to be God's gift to Gamers, then you'll have saved that extra little bit for another game.

If it turns out to be the turd-machine I think it is...then you'll have enough to buy an Xbox 360 and a few decent games...or a Nintendo Wii with an impressive library of games.

Think about....

Associates