Wake up America!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
My most important and inspired writing yet?!?

Wow the political climate in the nation is quickly becoming a horror show. What we actually need is folks willing to look at issues individually and making decisions based on effectiveness and solving problems, not serving a radical agenda left or right.
We need a radical centrist movement. The religious right and the political right want us to accept no regulation on industry, allowing private industry to rip us off with everything from sub prime mortgage and raping the environment, denying environmental responsibility, and keeping the power elite fat and rich.
The religious right would like to regulate morality, force Christianity on us, and demonize non Christian or non religious people. They want control over us. They want to treat gays, who are proven to be a genetically different subset of the population, like it is a choice (as if anyone would choose it), and treat them as less than human. They want to start a "christian jihad" against the rest of the world and spread fear and loathing. They have no understanding about Jesus teaching love and tolerance and do not abide with Christ's teachings. Since when is judgment and hatred a Christian tenet?

The radical left would allow too much regulation, an oppressive tax structure, and support this insane trial lawyer system where everyone sues as a get rich scheme. The trouble is the Democrats that purport to stand for the little man are bought off too by different special interest. It is all lunacy from both sides.

And then the right and the left tells good American "moderates" that we stand for nothing and have no morals or beliefs and treat us as if we are stupid.

This is somewhat deserved, as we sit idly by and let radicals with radical agendas do what they will, without standing up for sanity and sense! As a centrist, I stand for balance and taking ideas that work above a party line or agenda. Treating issues individually and working for solutions that work, and not hitching my wagon to one party because of one hot button issue and ignoring the evil corruption behind these people, just because of say a desire to see socialized medicine, or perhaps a belief about a minor issue like abortion. Granted people feel strongly about these issues but in the final analysis, to blindly follow a philosophy that is wrong, just because of a sticking point is wrong. Sometimes tough compromise is the right thing, and someone has to be willing to work towards it.

I didn't like Bush, I don't like Obama and there are things terribly wrong with both, but to believe that either was completely evil and out to destroy their nation is ludicrous! They are more similar than anyone cares to admit. The president though does not wield as much power as the average American believes anyway. Congress, both the house senate are the bad guys and it is because of the lobbyist system. Special interests can buy our elected officials votes and it is wrong! Term limits and an end to lobbyists is essential if this nation is going to be guided by its people or by the money. Money is a tool and is not an evil in and of itself, but the love of it is the root of evil. We do need sensible regulation, not radical agendas. We are served well by many areas of government and we should not demand to pay no taxes, but we neither should be expected to be hurt by the burden.

Answer me this; would you prefer that your doctor be in it primarily for the money he can make off your illness, or to help people and live the essence of the Hippocratic Oath to first do no harm rather than to first make a buck? The whole medicine for profit thing is a fundamentally flawed concept. This is one thing that should be a right and a service and not a business and a privilege of only those who can afford it.

So we need to rise up, and I don't mean angrily, violently, but with peaceful dissent, call your congressmen and women, and demand that they serve our best interests, and be active and be a radical movement for sense and an end to partisan politics. Run for office on these principles if you feel you can make a positive difference! Martin Luther King did more for blacks (and all of us) than a hundred Malcolm Xs and or Reverend Sharptons, or any such men of any race (not to take anything from them, as they do some good despite their flaws). To peacefully resist and respectfully disagree and work together we can make so much more difference than we can with angry protests, tea parties, brandishing weapons! Treat each other with respect and tolerance, yet stand up for the people's best interests, and we can achieve so much! Teach each other things we know in our hearts as right, don't preach from mountain tops with arrogance, this is what I believe is our only hope. Be willing and open to learn where others are right too, we can take our country back without anger and strife, but with respect and openness. Nobody likes to be told “I am right, do it my way and shut up”, but everyone likes to learn new things that make everyone better off without judgment or condescension.

I have expressed strong ideas here, I am no better than any of you and I don't have every answer, but some of what I say I know in my heart is right on the mark and I think if we all open our minds and hearts to such concepts we know deep down that it is right. I am not on a mountain top and I am wrong sometimes, but we know, deep down what is right and wrong, but when we need to talk ourselves into out positions on things, when we need to convince ourselves with complex arguments that we are right are we not surely astray?

It is my sincere belief that the fundamental idea of God (and in my mind it just stands for good orderly direction, and the connection of all living things in spirit, does not deny nor confirm any religions, so long as the people preach love and not hate) is deep within every person and only can be found in our hearts and spirits. Sure some supposed "men of god" or religion are self serving with evil agendas, but others of those very same religions know about love and tolerance of our fellow man and doing right by others the best they can. I personally know wonderful people who are everything from atheists, to Christians to Muslims, Taoists and Buddhists, even Hindus, that all have this concept down. We need to look at the similarities and not the differences in my opinion. The golden rule is essentially all that matters. "The Spirit" of benevolence is within us all and can be obscured by calamity, pomp or worship of other things, but it is in all of us, that conscience, that subtle voice in our hearts that tells us right from wrong, and it is only selfish will when we go against it.

Well I have said my peace and feel much better for having done so. Just try to walk a mile in the other guy's shoes before you judge too harshly and follow that golden rule. I hope some of you who read this got something good from it, but I did and that is what matters most to me.

May the universe bless you all with that which I want for myself; love for my existence and all those about me, understanding and enlightenment? Have wonderful holidays all of you!

-One simple American man, no better or worse than any of you….

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think the real issue is that both have agendas other than the overall good of the country. Their goal may not be destroying the country, but it's a byproduct of the fact that their goal is not what is in the best interests of the country, but what is in their best interests and that of their respective "owners". The biggest misconception that the majority of the country holds is that only the Republican Party is corrupt. Both parties are corrupt and neither has your best interests at heart. The best thing Americans could do in the next election is vote for neither the Dems nor the GOP. Vote Libertarian, vote whatever else you want, but don't vote for the big two.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
And I agree with you almost completely. It is easier to see Republicans as corrupt for the simple fact that their platform supports big business and big money and the corporation over the individual. It is more readily apparent for this reason I myself sometimes fall into the trap of assuming wrongly in the "evilness" of a Republican because I do favor a single payer health care system based on my personal experience in this area, and that I feel so strongly about it. There are a few key positions associated with the GOP that do fire up some of my knee jerk prejudices, and I need to be careful to be open minded rather than practicing contempt prior to investigation.

The Democrats, on the surface, give the appearance (usually falsely) of supporting issues I feel more passionate about. I find myself sucked in and suckered by them more readily, but I know full well and have no illusions about as a whole they are every bit as corrupt. In my particular case it is more insidious and more dangerous to me that I might fall for Democratic party bull****. For others it is the Republicans that are more dangerous, and that they are easier suckered by.

The important thing in my opinion though is to look at the issues, individually on their face value and make my positions according to what the evidence supports as being the best solution. I think we all need to do more of that and don't even consider which party is more in line with any one issue, but be willing to look for the best solution, no matter whose camp came up with it. I think we all, me included, need to try and put ourselves in the shoes of all of our citizenry and look for what is best for most of us, and be willing to accept that even when sometimes it isn't in our own personal situation the most ideal solution, but that on the whole it is what is best for the nation.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I guess what scares me the most of late is the venom that is being shown by folks. Being from different opinions does not mean that one has to utterly hate and dismiss the opposition and unfortunately people seem to be forgetting this more and more.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand. I don't share it, that tendency, but I understand. Actually what they usually espouse I'm passionately against, but that really has nothing to do with the solution anyway. The solution is send a message that we know the game is rigged and we want another option, perhaps more than one. I'm voting Libertarian
next election, I don't care if they run Bugs Bunny.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well here I do disagree. I think we all suffer from our prejudices about things we assume, that are not necessarily true. You personally may not be as susceptible to a party like Democrats or Republicans, but life experience and disagreeing with any one person on one hot button issue can tempt us (any human) to "throw the baby out with the bathwater".

A good example for me is Sarah Palin. I am tempted to loath and despise the woman and want her run off the political horizon based on a few issues and things about her I VERY strongly disagree with. In many cases I think I am right and she is wrong, and I really feel that in my conscience. That though sometimes blinds me to that she has many good points and qualities and there are things she is very right about, even ones I don't understand as well as I maybe should.

After all her and I are both human, both have the same human wants needs and desires, even if we believe differently and express them differently. It is just simply bad for me to entirely discount or especially personally dislike or hate the woman when I do not even truly know her at all. It is much better when I can see what I disagree with her about, and look at where we agree as more important, open my mind to where she is right and work to understand better where she is coming from and why, and hopefully by being open to her and embracing her as a fellow American with every right to her own opinions. If I knew her and had to deal with her if I approached things in this more constructive way, she would probably be much more inclined to treat me the same way, thus coming to greater understanding, some compromise, and ultimately both being better people for having that understanding.

So that's what I mean about being seduced by preconceived notions we all have, rather than stopping and trying to understand more and knee jerk less.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
If politicians could at least try just a little harder to act that way, and everyone else too, we could be a better stronger nation, no question about it in my never so humble opinion.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
what I'm saying is while I do agree with certain points contained within the platform of either party, my trust level for either is literally 0%. I want a third option. So far the biggest difference I can see between the Republican and Democratic parties in practice is that the Republicans tend to mess things up abroad, the Democrats mess things up at home. Obviously that's too simple a statement to be entirely true in all cases, but as a general rule that's how I see it. I don't stand with either of them, overall.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I reworded a paragraph here because someone in another forum mistook me for being anti religion I really hate that the time limit on editing my posts is so short here. Anyway here is the modified paragraph:

The extremists of the religious right would like to regulate morality, force Christianity on us, and demonize non Christian or non religious people. They want control over us. They want to treat gays, who are proven to be a genetically different subset of the population, like it is a choice (as if anyone would choose it), and treat them as less than human. They want to start a "christian jihad" against the rest of the world and spread fear and loathing. They have no understanding about Jesus teaching love and tolerance and do not abide with Christ's teachings. Since when is judgment and hatred of other people a Christian tenet? Don’t get me wrong, most religious people are good decent folks, but the extremists make the whole lot frightening. The obnoxious vocal minority that so proudly proclaims to be the “religious right” are seldom really religious or right, they just seem to act like sheeple that fear what they don’t understand and hate what they fear.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Dang there goes that pesky edit issue AGAIN! I added as well the sentence at the end:

Even so, it is not ours to hate them or condemn them in retaliation, but to try and teach by example, how to really abide by that golden rule!

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
I think the real issue is that both have agendas other than the overall good of the country. Their goal may not be destroying the country, but it's a byproduct of the fact that their goal is not what is in the best interests of the country, but what is in their best interests and that of their respective "owners". The biggest misconception that the majority of the country holds is that only the Republican Party is corrupt. Both parties are corrupt and neither has your best interests at heart. The best thing Americans could do in the next election is vote for neither the Dems nor the GOP. Vote Libertarian, vote whatever else you want, but don't vote for the big two.
Exactly, both parties have their agendas and none of them really care about us.

I don't trust any of them.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Neither do I, but voting third party in most cases is meaningless. I wish it weren't so, and I think someday it might not be but as of now, well enjoy wasting your time with the ballot.

I have to say I am very impressed with the caliber of response I get on this board. I don't know why but this board has always been among the best I have seen in that regard. I used to go to Off Topic Central, but got banned over personal grudge BS. In fairness, they are very tolerant of political vitriol, and while it is very much majority conservative, my real troubles only involved two mods and as best I can tell (I never was an "insider" enough to know the inner sanctum) it was the commie PC libby bleeding heart one that fried me. The other one, had about the most vile politics I ever saw, in my never so humble opinion, but went double duty on being fair and not partisan in the mod duties. I think the bleeding heart found me far too coarse and centrist for their taste and it was personal a lot between us. Perhaps as well this person felt if we shared some of our ideals, why the hell can I not behave as they would have liked me to. Honestly I am glad to be gone from political debate, though I was a "founding member", and I miss the "Lunatic Lounge" and some of the people all the same. It seems a shame I was in good standing, albeit controversial all the while since 2002 for the most part, but now it seems to be a permanent divorce.

I got attacked on only one of a few places I posted this, and mostly only one knee jerking neocon who seems only to want to argue and proclaim victory. The part I edited did offend one guy (Catholic) and I can see why it did, and I did my best to be clearer because I believe religion and spirituality are a positive force in the vast majority of people, but that it is true of all religions as well. I just have severe aversions to fundamental christians who are so much like fundamentalist Arabs it is scary! I think politics and religion should not mix, but that morality in a secular sense is an integral part of politics.

The guy just took what I said and attacked me in saying that moderates or centrists are essentially either deluded or lying, and he falsely concluded that I am a liberal I think, due to the fact I am much more likely to vote Demorat as the lesser of two evils, and the extreme right scares me way more than the Democratic party does. And misconstruing that since I wrote more problems I have with with the right than the left. Honestly the bleeding heart types are quite offensive too me but not near as dangerous in my never so humble opinion as the far right kooks.

I say I am centrist because on every political compass test I ever took I am very centrist with a bit left on social issues., but the thing is the OP here was never meant to incite political debate or even demonize anyone. Just reflect the things I fear and it's a vain effort to appeal to people to stop the extremism and come to the ideological table after walking a mile in other folks shoes first, something we as Americans do far too little of in my opinion. Maybe it is a Christmas wish.

Anyway, please don't bring any partisan bickering into this thread! Let's look more at being happy than being right here can we?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
All we can do is ride it out, the really good people never get close to becomming President because they don't have the backing that the other ones do.

It's all about money and power..... Welcome to politics, it hasn't changed and more than likely never will.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
It has to start someplace, Mark. Might as well start with me or either of you or anybody else. At least my conscience will be clear.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well I think is is a terrible misconception what power the president actually has. He can push for congress to act, and veto bills, requiring larger support from congress to pass them, but as for law he doesn't make any of it! He is an executive and the best way to say it in simple terms is that he is our nations chief law enforcement officer. I dislike him a bit, but in all honesty, it is not because of really anything he has done, other than that he has done the typical thing and backed off so much of what he ran on. I think the president is so much less important to our daily lives than congress, and I think the level of vitriol aimed at Obama (and Bush before him), is mostly misguided and undeserved.

The grass roots change has to come in congress. I am not sure how we could even get the ball rolling. The Eddie Murphy film "The Distinguished Gentleman" is hilarious, and makes me want to cry in it's accurate portrayal of what is going on in Washington! The only part that wasn't very realistic is that nobody seems to fight it like Jeff Johnson did, and how much good could one misfit actually do? Somehow we need to force congressional reform on them on a much larger scale if anything can hope to be changed.

The whole mess makes me want to run for office and unswervingly stick to my ethics, but unfortunately my background makes it unlikely I could win, and while I have the vision and passion, the desire for power isn't there and I actually would fear it.

Pray for change is all I can suggest and do what little each of us can, mostly in raising ethical children. I have no children, but raising a child truly takes a village and I like to think I am excellent with them in part because of my unique perspective on not having my own, and my experience being from the wrong side of the tracks and then made good.

I am what I'd call a "default catholic". Catholicism is what I know and I don't disbelieve the story of Jesus at all. I just don't think it is by any means the whole story of G.O.D. (good orderly direction), and I believe modern interpretations often miss the mark to a great extent. I think most good people have a good sense of how to live, though, it is just those horrid evangelists and haters! I do not believe though that God cannot be found in other religions and or no religion. I do not attend church (I do AA LOL) and I am also agnostic in that I don't even try to think about god except in some very simple terms.

God to me is the golden rule, loving all creation with all one's heart and then loving yourself and loving others by proxy. Anything else is too complex to worry about. I just think we are all connected and that we need to consider that nobody is by creation any better or worse than another (save perhaps for sociopaths), it is all in how we life and trying to live in harmony with all of creation and the people who are in our lives. Sometimes I find it therapeutic to express my beliefs in a public forum such as an AA meeting but even better in writing. I share it because I am absolutely unashamed and un-apologetic about it, and I hope it is of some help to others, but I am not interested in being convinced of anything. These beliefs are stone to me.

May you all be blessed with all that I would want for myself this holiday season!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Huh? I even read back and am clueless on the last reply?!?

If any president did what?

(Mind you I am ill and sleep deprived)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Looking at your political system from the outside, I think money is corrupting it. The lobbyists have so much power because it takes so much money to get elected in the US system. You badly need spending limits on the candidates and on third parties (not third political parties but lobby groups outside the parties) to get that under control. Good luck getting the lobbyists and their funders to give up their power if you try to change the system.

It seems like you get better legislation out of the House than you do the Senate. Suspect the lobbyists and money have more hold over the Senators.

As far as health care goes, the issue is not public vs. private, even though many Americans and Canadians see it that way from opposite sides of the issue. PBS ran a great doc on health care in other industrialized countries, eg Japan and Germany, and they seem to do it better than either of our countries. Neither is all private or public, but much of the pure "for profit" is limited or removed. Your country spends about twice the % of GDP on health care to deliver it to only part of your population compared to most other industrialized countries, and I doubt the current reforms will change enough of the current system to come anywhere close to dropping your costs close to the rest. Too many entrenched interests buying influence.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well DanceMan, what you forget is 'merica is the finest damn country on the dang planet! We are number won in ALL things, and the rest 'o the damn werld, cud learn to do things the right way, the 'merican way! NOT the other way rownd! The europhags, towel headed camel jockys, and the whole damn lot of them ain't worth a plug nickel neether! WHAOOO! 'merica is boss and you uppity feriners best to not be fergetifyin' it!

P

Perce

LOL!!! I've been reading this, found it enjoyable, figured I'd finally throw my 2 cents in....I am proud also to be an American(till i figure out a better country, Canada is looking good!), I am proud of our status, Largest Arms Seller, more people behind bars per capita than Russia or China, ,more Politicians in prision that any other Democracy! I am also proud of Gitmo, no other Democratic country would allow a "Gulag"!! But we still have our President, who got the Peace prize!!! Guess having active Wars in 2 countries and running a Gulag does not dis-qualify you from receiving it?

...getting so lately, I don't even want to watch the News!!! Worse Political issue I've seen lately is that laughable "Healthcare reform", still haven't finished the 2000 page Bill yet, working on it....:) (light reading.....:) )

I keep thinking about other Democratic countries, people in those countries must be wondering what America will "screw-up" next??? LOL

Associates