Vista vs XP? hear the difference

krupted

krupted

ive had my share of video problems, but overall my vista experience has been very good.

i wanted to start a thread about the seemingly most underrated feature of the OS, and by farr far FAAARRRR away better then xp- the audio engine.

what started my interest is when i took out my audigy2zs because the drivers were just plain junk at the time. and the card sounded like it too. curiously, when i let vista install my on board realtek sound, magically i get absolutely clear sound, in fact much better then it used to sound in XP. this is the type of quality i expected from $80 pci cards and its all coming from the windows OS via CPU.

without going into detail, the features of vista's audio capabilities are somewhat amazing. vista really does turn your pc into a home theater receiver, minus the amp of course. they even ideally suggest that people dont use home theater receivers with a vista box, instead just use amps as the OS can do all the controls and features itself (the real audiophiles do this anyway, but finally its a much easier, and cheaper, route then it used to be).

if you have vista, do yourself a favor and put it in 'surround' mode, even if you dont have 5 speakers. i only have two, but if you set the os to 5.1, then de-select the center and rear speakers you get some seriously kick-*** DSP for your audio. low-freq bass clipping, normalization, voice cancellation like nothing else!!! (try it, i cant believe how good it would be for karaoke.) this audio package that microsoft put in is a huge surprise to me now that i see and hear what it does. XP, what? wasnt that back in the 20th century or something?:D not to mention the fact there is very little need to buy hardware-accelerated pci audio cards anymore. i never thought i would say that...

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

This can be done by going to Control Panel-->Sound

Select your Speakers, then "Configure."

Not sure if I hear a difference, but I'm on good ol' realtek AC97. :D

krupted

krupted

do you have all of the effects and controls? it shouldnt really matter what card you have as long as there is vista drivers, its the OS that makes the sound so good. its just software sound, but drastically better then xp. not to mention you control all apps seperately, meaning finally mce can be muted while pc sound is still on.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Yeah, I think I have all the options. I tried a few. I guess my ears don't notice a difference.

I do like how Vista allows you to adjust the volume for every app.

krupted

krupted

is there any way to make the volume mixer open full sized by default? it always opens with just the few windows sound levels, and its a bit of a pain to constantly drag the window larger.

im hoping someday someone makes a USB device that has a 5 or so level adjustments that can be used for whatever programs you want. just a way to manually do what the volume mixer does so you dont have to open the vol mixer..

btw- it is your ears or speakers. trust me, this is a huge difference!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, but in the meantime I use a digital mic and an analog mic, which allows you do assign one to one program and the other to another.

Associates