VISTA machine, no sound

S

slhayes

I have to restart the computer the realtek manager in is the tray, but I can't get it to open up. We are going to add 2 GB of memory in a while.

S

slhayes

When I try to plug it into the rear port it won't play. I did get it to paly momentarily by plugging it in to the orange port, it said output, but it didn't play very loud on one of the other speakers in the house and when I close down the setting for it the sound stopped.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Try both speakers and headphones in all the rear ports and see if they are recognized in the Sound Manager. It's possible that the rear ports are bad.

The main channel would be green, which is why the orange would seem soft.

S

slhayes

I will try this later, I want to try the driver I downloaded last night just in case, I also want to take off the Polderbits software to see if that helps. It is software I use to record and divide tracks from cassettes and old LP's. I haven't used it in a long time, but it is showing on the sound card settings, I guess it installed a driver? I also found a link last night from a site discussing the sound card for HP machines, and it gives step by step instructions with images from the Vista OS. I was going to take a different pair of speakers also. So if I get any where I will let you know.

S

slhayes

Here's where I stand now, almost there. The first thing I did was plug in another set of speakers to the back and an earphone set to the back in the orange port. It played momentarily, both through the speakers that were plugged in the front and what was plugged in the back, but that didn't last too long and the back stopped working. Then I am not sure if I did this next step after or before that, but I installed the downloaded driver but that did nothing. I had to restart a couple of times, but then I removed that recording software I was talking about. I restarted the machine and now the back port is working for the speakers. Here is where I lost something, the front doesn't work now, not for another set of speakers nor a head set. Maybe I should reload that driver again? It is playing better now and so far it seems more stable.

S

slhayes

I reinstalled it and it is working in the back and the front now. It appears to be okay. I say appears because before I reinstalled the sound got quiet, like the connection wasn't good. The speakers I have on it had a hum that even that appears to be gone now since reinstalling at this point. It was baffling because I haven't even used that software in quite a while and as far as I can remember made no changes. If I ever decide to put it back on I will remember what happened here. Thank you very much for all the patience and help you gave me.

S

slhayes

One other thing, in the first reinstall there was no Realtek Sound Manager icon in the tray nor in Control Panel. I don't see it in control panel now, but it is in the tray.

Associates